Re: My iPhone 5 is on wifi, but it's still using up data, help?
Redryderm

13.1 DOES NOT resolve this issue.

I have been at 13.1 for weeks and i still have the issue.

31.  Re: My iPhone 5 is on wifi, but it's still using up data, help?

LA-Jim  Contributor

I've experienced this issue as well. I just saw this article, which may be of help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5526

I just did this. Let's hope it resolves the issue.

0 Likes
LA-Jim
Enthusiast - Level 2

13.1 resolves the issues for me. Before 13.1, cellular data was being used when I was connected to WiFi. After 13.1, when connected to WiFi, the phone uses zero bytes of data over cellular connections.

If it doesn't resolve the issues for you, I would recommend contacting Verizon and Apple. I don't think Verizon responds to issues here. If Verizon doesn't help, make an appointment at Apple's Genius Bar. When I've visited them in the past, they have been very helpful, and have always resolved my issues.

Good luck!

0 Likes
MarkInAZ88
Enthusiast - Level 2

LA-Jim,

Go to www.youtube.com using Safari and watch a video while on WiFi. Data used will be from your cell plan. Also, when I was on a weak WiFi signal it used data from my cell plan downloading 90MB of music in less than a minute from iTunes Music Match even though I have the use cell data for iTunes Music Match turned off. Point is the overnight data usage may have stopped but they are getting you elsewhere...

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
LA-Jim
Enthusiast - Level 2

MarkInAZ88,

I've tried this after I updated to 13.1, and watching YouTube videos in Safari does not use celluar data while my phone is connected to WiFi.

To confirm, this morning, I did the following:

I went to: Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage

I reset the statistics, so the Cellular Network Data counters were set to zero sent and zero received.

I opened up Safari, and went to YouTube.com.

I watched three different YouTube videos, none of which I have previously viewed (so they weren't cached).

I went back to Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage and the counters were still at zero.

To confirm that my testing method was accurate, I turned off WiFi, went back to YouTube in Safari, and watched a brand new video. Cellular Usage showed that I sent 155 KB and received 7.2 MB under Cellular Network Data.

So, 13.1 has addressed the issue for me.

I don't subscribe to iTunes Music Match, so I am unable to test that.

If you are are weak WiFi, then I would suggest that the weak WiFi is at fault in your situation. If WiFi is weak, it would make sense that the phone would switch to cell data when it can't get on WiFi for viewing videos.

Contact your WiFi provider and get them to fix the quality of the signal. If the issues persist after your WiFi signal is improved, then make a reservation at an Apple Genius Bar, and pursue the issues with their help.

Again, good luck in tracking this down.

Jim

0 Likes
MarkInAZ88
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for testing LA-Jim. Would you mind sharing your router settings? I have an Actiontech set at Wireless n with WPA2 security. The issue with weak WiFi occurred while I was walking my dog. I have a strong signal in the house, so no issues there.

0 Likes
LA-Jim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sure. I have a NetGear wireless router, model number WNDR3300.

It connects wirelessly up to 270Mbps at 2.4GHz, over the 11N channel.

Security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES]

Its firmware is up to date (V1.0.45_1.0.45NA).

0 Likes
mellooney
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see your post from October 2012, and I just noticed this issue about a month ago when my daughter upgraded from an iphone 4 to iphone 5c and her data usage started going way up.  So, I started checking data logs and found that all of our iphone 5 phones and one of our HTC phones on my account are getting what I call data "hits" every 6 hours.  I've been round and round with Verizon on this, and the best solution they gave me was to manually turn off cellular data when we are connected to wi-fi.  What a pain in the neck to have to remember to do for something that should be automatic.  Their two best explanations, even though I don't agree with them, is that "data is accumulated" and shows up on the logs after so much accumulation, and that the backup assistant needs cellular data to do it's thing, but if I have backup asst scheduled once a week, it shouldn't be doing it's thing every 6 hours.  So, I don't buy either of those explanations and I'm ready to find another carrier when our contract is up.  I've seen them point their fingers at Apple in several online forums and was wondering if that was indeed the culprit, but then I found the same 6 hour pattern on our HTC phone, so nice try Verizon, it's not Apple's fault.  I'm done with trying different things to solve the issue on my end, when I truly believe this issue has been around for awhile and has not yet been resolved.