Re: My iPhone 5 is on wifi, but it's still using up data, help?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I don't think it would do what you asked....but I may be wrong. I do know that it has always done it on the previous iPhones (4 & 4s) and the issue came up in the past....but I can't remember the full detail behind why this is the case exactly. The thread may be on here or on the Apple support forums...again, It's been so long (back when the 4 first released on VZW) that I can't completely recall the details.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Contacting VZW (and a lot of other companies) CS via email will result in scripted responses initially unless you push harder for them to address your issue. It's often why email or chat can be frustrating for any issues that require immediate and thorough assistance. I really wouldn't suggest using email for help with this at all. You would want to have physical or verbal contact with a person so you can document who exactly you spoke with in case of inaccuracies or future dispute about the same issue.

0 Likes
turbo8

Your hand might be blocking the wireless receiver which might make the phone switch to lte. Try holding it different.

0 Likes
scarletknights928
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon today (and the woman on the phone was actually very kind) and I asked her about the best way to keep from overusing data. I told her that I keep it on wifi when possible, like when I'm home and in my dorm with my router (and also when I'm in class; there's a campus-wide wireless network each of us can access with our school ID number and password) and I asked her if I should switch off cellular or LTE when I'm connected to wifi.

She told me that when I'm connected to wifi, the LTE will automatically be turned off so it won't be using any data. She also said that as soon as I'm out of range of the wifi or I've turned it off, the LTE will automatically come back and I'll be connected to the Verizon Wireless network. I asked if having LTE enabled uses more data; she said that whether I'm using the 4G LTE or the 3G won't use more or less data so it doesn't really matter.

I tried asking her about the weird fluctuations in my data usage but she wasn't sure why that happened so I have no idea. But she told me that if I want an up-to-date data usage report, I can call #DATA and they'll send me a text with my data usage; and that also I could use the My Verizon app or log onto My Verizon on the computer and check.

So overall, she told me not to worry too much about going over too much. She said she wouldn't really be able to tell me exact amounts of everything (I don't really remember what she said) because I'm not the account owner; my mom is. She asked if I wanted her to call my mom and get into the full account but I said it wasn't really necessary and that was that.

I don't really know how helpful it was but yeah. At least whoever answered the phone was nice. My biggest question was about my fluctuating data so I'll have to call them if I notice it again and have them call my mom so they can get all my account information.

0 Likes
lfunlu
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel like you should take this up with Apple - It seems more like a software issue than a network one, since the phone is what controls what data service is used

0 Likes
scarletknights928
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I'll try contacting Apple tomorrow since Verizon didn't exactly answer my biggest question which was why the fluctuation in data usage; maybe it is a software issue. Once I do that I'll post here and let you guys know what they say.

0 Likes
akdisney
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not have my Iphone 5 but talk to my co-worker that have Iphone 4S you need to Turn off G4 roming

What the Iphone doing it's look for the 4G and then goto Wi-fi

that look for 4G is use your Date time.

Sorry that I can tell you how to do step by step.

Only turn 4G on when you need it

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you meant 4G and not G4.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mrsocalguy

When you are in your home, dorm work etc any place that has wifi go to your settings and turn off cellular data and it will push all your phone data to wifi ONLY. then when you leave wifi restore data in your settings.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There is no way to change teh sleep policy.  When your screen is off it drops you back onto the data network.  That's how the older ones work and I don't see why they would change it with the 5.