Re: Just called trying to swap my Iphone 5 on another line on my family plan...
court8

That's what I thought and why I didn't turn the phone on at all before I called. But the rep himself told me to turn it on and he then activated it under the other number. So basically they messed it up for me...great

0 Likes
NanaSioux
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of these questions made me wonder too.  I pre-ordered my i5 in store on 9/14.  I'm scheduled to receive it on the 28th.  My rep (a very nice guy I've dealt with before) said I'd probably receive it before then.  No matter.  I can wait.  Now I start reading all this stuff about activation problems, nano SIMs, etc.  I didn't know the CDMA version of the phone used a SIM card that was consumer accessible.  Anyway, I used my daughter's upgrade to get my phone (she took mine at Christmas for her Droid).  I told them in store that I'd be doing that and we transferred the upgrade there in the store.  I called today to clarify what, if anything, I'd have to do to activate the phone on MY number.  I was told NOT to power up my phone before removing the installed SIM card.  Remove the card, call Verizon, have them activate the phone on my line, THEN install the SIM card and proceed as normal.  She assured me it would be no problem and my phone would be ready to use immediately and I would not need a different SIM.

Anyone else getting the same advise?  Does this sound correct?

janebrewbaker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Went to my local VZW store.  Waited for 30 minutes, to be told, that yes, I need to wait 24 hours and then I could switch to another number.  I asked about a sim card, and she said it shouldn't matter with the Iphone 5.  Not sure to believe this or not, but I guess the rep I spoke with on the phone and at the store do have similar information. 

If i have to go to the VZW store tomorrow after being told it's not needed after the 24 hour period, Verizon is going to receive some kind of complaint from the BBB.  The closet store is close to 40 minutes away.  Someone at Verizon Wireless had to have an Iphone 5 early for testing purposes and tested various situations like switching to another number on an account.  Seems like Verizon is almost dumfounded.  Can someone on here from Verizon at least give accurate information about if the only thing required is 24 hours, or if a SIM swap is going to have to be done for customers wanting to switch numbers?

And if they're saying no sim cards are available after waiting 24 hours, alot of people are going to be PISSED.

0 Likes
rmilly92

Ok so I dont know what any of these verizons reps are saying but I activated my phone through the website. I upgraded one of the 4 lines on the account that doesnt have an internet plan in order to buy this phone. I went online on my verizon and went to "activate new or switch device" when I did that I selected my phone number and I just put in all the info of this phone including the sim card number. It worked. My LTE is on and everything is fine

0 Likes
rmilly92

All you have to do is, when you get the phone do not go through all the steps to activate it. Do everything through the verizon website. Your receipt for the phone will come with all the identification numbers for the sim card and phone that you will need. Just activate it on your line on verizon. Thats what I did and everything is fine.

0 Likes
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I want to try this, but I'm out of town and afraid if it doesn't work, I won't have a working phone.

I called Verizon twice within the last hour and got 2 different answers.

The first told me I'd have to go in to a store and get a new SIM card - I asked how could the SIM be programmed and locked to a phone number if I haven't even turned the phone on yet. Couldn't get a clear answer, just kept repeating that the SIM was locked to the number it was ordered under.

Second rep I spoke to said that it could be reprogrammed, but not yet. Apparently they are fixing their system to allow the SIMs to be reprogrammed from their end. He said once this fix is in in the next 24-48 hours, switching the phone to another line can be done without a SIM swap.

It's really great how their own reps don't even have the correct info.

One other concern with activating via the web on the line I want the iPhone 5 on is, will activating it this cause me to lose my unlimited data plan on that line in any way? And doesn't the other line (currently with a dumb phone) have to still somehow accept the phone upgrade terms to validate the upgrade price (which I've read is done when you activate over the phone)? I signed this line up for a data plan when I ordered the phone via the available upgrade on this line and I still plan to keep it because my wife will start using my iPhone 4 on that line and get rid of the dumb phone.

0 Likes
javaman78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called cust svc for my new 5 today. I wanted to do as you said and activate it on a different line. I was told with the new nanosim (sp?) card this not possible. Apparently when I preordered my 5 it came with the new sim card programmed for the number I upgraded from and if I tried to activate it on the line I wanted to it would say dead sim card.

My two options were to activate it on the line I upgraded and then 24 hours later switch the phones around or go to the store and they would give me a new sim card. I went to the local store and they said they were not shipped these new sim cards and therefore the only option I had was to activate the phone and wait 24 hours. So tomorrow night I will call or go online and switch the phones...

0 Likes
fparker6

I went in to the local Verizon store to pick up the iPhone 5.  I used the upgrade from another line but activated it on my line. They' would not let me keep my unlimited data on my line. I had called customer service to make sure that I could do that last week and they said that was the only way besides paying full retail to keep unlimited.  I plan on calling customer service tomorrow to voice my concerns about this. One says one thing and one says another.  I don't use a lot of data, but like the security of knowing I have it.  I picked up a white one.(wanted a black but they were out). Then I read tonight that people who picked up the black we're discovering that they already had nicks and scatches on them.  But I do like the all black one. If customer service doesn't let me switch back to unlimited I'll deactivate my 4s and sell the white five and get a black one when my regular upgrade comes in November.

0 Likes
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, the amount of misinformation on this is staggering.

New sim card or not to change to another line.

Need to wait 24-48 hours before trying anything until they get their software fix worked out.

Need to activate on ordered line and then switch 24-48 hours later (but do you need a new SIM to do this or not)?

I've got my phone but really don't need to use it right away since my iphone 4 still works fine - I think I'll wait a couple days for the dust to settle before I try and activate the 5 one way or the other.

0 Likes
radnj1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did not need a new sim card or to wait 24-48 hours as is the most consistent story being told by the reps. I pulled out the SIM card and wrote the # down and simply went on vzw web site and activated the device on the line I Wanted. Note, I did not turn on the iphone until after I processed the activation on line and waited a bit before turning the new device on. Have had no problems since then last nite.

0 Likes