Re: Is there anyone else having a major probblem with excessive data usage with the iPhone 5??
jsczeb
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply but did you read my post.......................3G turned off 90% of the time except when I check my email away from home, LTE always turned off, Wi-Fi all other times...............I don't have app refresh etc. because I'm not running IOS 7........................So no app refresh exist for IOS 6.......So please address the random 6 hour increments of data being polled.

Note: 6 hour increments, sometimes in the wee hours of the morning or late at night, others at random times......I think the random times depend on what towers or area you are in. I'm sure that this data polling on behalf of Verizon varies by demographics......So don't ignore the random 6 hour polling of data I mentioned previously...............

Only data shown in post is 6 hour increments.......... furthermore, my total usage with my Data app installed on my phone that tracks all data wirelessly and cellular indicates that my total cellular usage is 3X less than what Verizon is showing on this particular line..............How bout explaining to the community how Verizon is collecting usage on LTE devices!  I assume that with this random 6 hour polling this is the method used to collect usage since previously with "unlimited" no polling was necessary................ Strangely enough, you are using data I pay for to collect usage............With all the technology today, why would you poll data in 6 hour increments to establish usage and use that polling against the customers data usage. This is your system, FIX IT.

DateTimeUnbilled Data Usage in
  Kilobytes(KB)
Unbilled Data Usage in
  Megabytes(MB)
Unbilled Data Usage in
  Gigabytes(GB)
2/18/201410:37 AM33443.270.003189052
2/18/20144:37 PM1561.21.520.00148892
2/19/20142:20 PM9648.19.420.009201165
2/19/20148:20 PM11714.111.440.011171428
2/21/201410:54 AM706.60.690.000673872
2/21/20144:54 PM1326.91.30.001265383
2/21/201410:54 PM1077.51.050.001027558
2/22/20144:54 AM77.30.080.000073706
2/28/20147:19 PM473.30.460.000451352
3/1/20141:19 AM67.40.070.00006432
3/1/20147:19 AM71.10.070.000067801
3/1/20141:19 PM58.40.060.000055654
3/1/20147:19 PM50.30.050.000047967
3/2/20141:19 AM93.60.090.000089249
3/2/20147:19 AM78.20.080.000074536
3/7/20145:47 PM1980.190.000188853
3/7/201411:47 PM68.90.070.000065733
3/8/20145:47 AM2.800.000002668
0 Likes
Re: Is there anyone else having a major probblem with excessive data usage with the iPhone 5??
jsczeb
Enthusiast - Level 3

Addittional information that likely is the issue that Verizon continues to ignore. Attached posting on Apples support site seems to hit the nail on the head but Verizon should admit and explain why this is going against customers data allowance?

Apple posting:https://discussions.apple.com/message/24609908#24609908

Edited as required by the

Message edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
rick_withanF

I too am a victim of the excessive data usage. This month is skyrocketed on my daughter's iPhone5s (most reports are talking about the 5c but the 5s is the same). Data is being used when it shouldn't, at all hours.  I have the same phone on ATT and am not having this problem, so it's completely a Verizon issue as far as I'm concerned and it doesn't seem to have been resolved, dating back from late last year? Does anyone have the definitive solution. I would cancel Verizon in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay the ridiculous cancellation fee.

0 Likes
RocketBoy

Try deleting and reinstalling your email apps. My wife had gmail and hotmail, I had yahoo and a work email. The data spike was on her phone. Sarah, at Verizon Tech Support was fantastic; she walked my wife through the delete/reinstall process as well as setting up Outlook eMail app. She did two 24-hr follow ups. This appears to have fixed the problem.

I also saw a couple posts regarding corrupt iOS 7 installations. My wife still had 7.1.1 so we updated to 7.1.2 (not sure how you would re-update if you already had the current version). This did not fix the data spike.

Under settings, follow this path: Settings:Cellular:Reset Statistics. You can then exit this page (blue "Settings" at top left of screen) and return to see real time data usage. After reset, you'll see just the App name on the cellular page, but, as each App uses data, you'll see the usage right below the App name. Non-App usage amounts can be seen by selecting System Services at the very bottom of your App list. This should highlight which App is spiking data usage (Mail, in my wife's case).

On VerizonWireless.com you can pull up your data usage in 6-hour increments by line number. You have to go to the non-mobile web page to see the 6-hr specific usage numbers. The mobile.vzw page will only show total usage for the month.

If you get suggestions for turning off everything that makes a smart phone a smart phone, or questions like, "What store did you buy the phone at?, How old is the phone's user?, Etc; first make sure you're actually talking to a Tech Support person (even though that's the option you chose); second if you verify it's a Tech Support person, ask for another. Sarah was fantastic, knowledgable, friendly, called back to follow up exactly when she said she would!

Remember this could take a couple days to troubleshoot, fix, and verify the fix worked. Knowledgable patience is the key here. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
RocketBoy

Response number 4 below seems to be a common response on here. I don't think they're getting the fact that almost all these posts are from people who haven't added anything or changed their usage patterns and yet their data usage has spiked by 5 to 15 times normal for them.

Try deleting and reinstalling your email apps. My wife had gmail and hotmail, I had yahoo and a work email. The data spike was on her phone. Sarah, at Verizon Tech Support was fantastic; she walked my wife through the delete/reinstall process as well as setting up Outlook eMail app. She did two 24-hr follow ups. This appears to have fixed the problem.

I also saw a couple posts regarding corrupt iOS 7 installations. My wife still had 7.1.1 so we updated to 7.1.2 (not sure how you would re-update if you already had the current version). This did not fix the data spike.

Under settings, follow this path: Settings:Cellular:Reset Statistics. You can then exit this page (blue "Settings" at top left of screen) and return to see real time data usage. After reset, you'll see just the App name on the cellular page, but, as each App uses data, you'll see the usage right below the App name. Non-App usage amounts can be seen by selecting System Services at the very bottom of your App list. This should highlight which App is spiking data usage (Mail, in my wife's case).

On VerizonWireless.com you can pull up your data usage in 6-hour increments by line number. You have to go to the non-mobile web page to see the 6-hr specific usage numbers. The mobile.vzw page will only show total usage for the month.

If you get suggestions for turning off everything that makes a smart phone a smart phone, or questions like, "What store did you buy the phone at?, How old is the phone's user?, Etc; first make sure you're actually talking to a Tech Support person (even though that's the option you chose); second if you verify it's a Tech Support person, ask for another. Sarah was fantastic, knowledgable, friendly, called back to follow up exactly when she said she would!

Remember this could take a couple days to troubleshoot, fix, and verify the fix worked. Knowledgable patience is the key here. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
RocketBoy

To TominqueBo_VZW: Good response, but lacking detail. "Analyzing online data usage" - how? What page and steps? Data usage is NOT always "how a user uses device." App corruption issues appear to be a big factor not being addressed in VZW responses here. A "backup and complete reset" seems to be extreme advice before walking someone through minor troubleshooting and fix.

0 Likes