Re: Is there anyone else having a major probblem with excessive data usage with the iPhone 5??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello mike ,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Based on your posting, it looks like a second set of eyes would be appreciated on this issue. It will be my pleasure to review your data usage for accuracy.I took the liberty to follow you so you can send me a private message to proceed. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Is there anyone else having a major probblem with excessive data usage with the iPhone 5??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mike ,

Oh my! I don't want to see you shopping for alternatives. I would love to look into this and find a resolution. I am following you. Please follow me in return (BobbyS_vzw) and send me a private message to get more info from you. Keep me posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Lots of problems with the IPhone probably not network related as AT&T is having issues with this as well.

I'd say it's an issue with Apple, most of the info on the net is pointing towards "updates" processed at night and automatically switching from Wifi to Cellular Data. Apple made a mistake of some kind.

0 Likes
Hr31hr

Having the same issue. Two days into the billing cycle and 7 hits 6 hours apart. There has to be a reason/solution! Where's the customer service if this is a known problem?

0 Likes
qtepie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded to the iPhone 5s and since then have in a week have had to up my data plan and I am not sure why in a week my iPhone 5s has used over 3G of cellular data and I cannot figure out why.  This is crazy when 95% of the time I am connected to Wifi networks, I have Wifi at work and Wifi at home.  If it is really the 4G LTE that is using all the data why is the iPhone use so much more?  My husband has a Droid that is 4G and so far this month he has ussed less the 0.5G and I have used 4.5G with over 3 of it in the last week.  I have gone over my data usage with a fine tooth comb and have come to see that over 50% of the times the cellular data is being used is either when I am at home, sleeping or at work all 3 of which should be covered under Wifi not cellular data.  Please explain to  me how my phone uses cellular data when I am clearly on Wifi?  My iPad mini is doing the same thing at it seems to use cellular data at the same 2 times everyday almost, why is that and both of those times I am either sleeping or at work which should both be on Wifi.  I personally am starting to wonder if I am getting double charged in essence or fasley charged (getting charged for cellular data when I am clearly on Wifi).  What is going on Verizon?  I am about to turn in this phone and cancel my 2 devices and my other 2 cellular lines since I have only had this phone a week I should be allowed out of my 2 year contract I just signed for the new iPhone.  Feeling really ripped off right now my you Verizon!!!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see why you're so concerned with your data usage, qtepie. We certainly don't want to see you leave because of the high usage. By design, all Apple products turn WiFi off when the device is dormant. This is most likely why you're noticing more data being used on your Apple devices than your husband's Android. The best way to avoid unexpected cellular data usage is to go into Settings > Cellular and review the applications that have Use Cellular Data turned on. This is also where you can see what applications have been contributing to your higher data usage. If you notice Mail is unusually high, check your email outbox for any email that may not have sent. An email stuck in your outbox will continue to try to send even if the email provider has denied the message, creating a larger usage.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Hr31hr

No good! I had my daughter turn off cellular for all of her apps at 3:03 pm yesterday and there are and the every 6 hour hits are two charges since then.

01/27/201412:26 AM0.00036
01/26/20146:26 PM0.00267

She has no pending emails in her outbox.

0 Likes
treeclimber65

Have any of you who have received "personal" attention from Verizon Customer Service rep's received any answers?  I went from 2GB of data in November on my Iphone4 to 18GB in December after upgrading to an Iphone 5s.  There was no change in actual usage of the phone.  I've now shut off EVERYTHING on my phone, which has dropped me to only 6GB this month, but unfortunately I have to use the phone occasionally.  And really, I don't think I should have to shut off everything on the phone, what is the point of having the darn thing?  I'm not sure if it is time to look elsewhere or sell the phone and go back to my Iphone 4 (which I still have thankfully), but this is beyond frustrating.  Every once and a while I turn something on and if I forget to turn it off BAM 1GB gone in a day.

0 Likes
treeclimber65

Hey Hr31hr - Have you had any luck figuring out what is going on?  I'm having the same problem.  In the last 2 days, I have gotten hit exactly 6 hours apart at 1:14pm and 7:14pm, despite having the cellular data feature turned off.  Interestingly, I get hit twice each time.  So even when cellular data is turned off completely, I get 2 data charges at 1:14pm and two data charges at 7:14pm.  These charges have varied from .00001GB to .01551GB.  I've turned off my phone completely today to see what happens and if the charges generate anyway.  Looking back at the last month this has happened daily, it was only today though that I caught the pattern.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah I get those too... one every 6 hours.  Maybe cell tower pings, or something in the network?  Luckily for me its not hitting my bottom line, and at .35G per period, I am WELL beneath my 2G limit.

0 Likes