Is there anyone else having a major probblem with excessive data usage with the iPhone 5??
mr_west86

My wife and I are on a shared 4GB data plan, she has the Galaxy Note 2 and I have the iPhone 5, she's on her phone way more than I am, but I am using waaay more data than she is, double to be exact. She sends pictures all the time and all of that, I do not, but yet I am still using more data. I have cut off everything from using my cellular data except, facebook, twitter, instagram, and Onavo Count, I have deleted iClouds from my phone, my location is turned off, but yet I am still using a lot of data.. I was wondering, is this issue because of Verizon, or is it because of the iPhone 5? My boss has a iPhone 5 through AT&T and she's not using as much data as I am either and I am pretty sure she's on her phone more than I am as well and do not have half of everything I got not using cellular data cut off.. I been with Verizon since Feb. 2012 and I have always had this problem with data while my wife is using barely 1G a month, I am using almost 2G every month. I am not complaining, I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and if so what kind of solutions have you found? Thanks in advance! I hope I hear from someone... preferably a Verizon representative.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there anyone else having a major probblem with excessive data usage with the iPhone 5??
toasterkms
Enthusiast - Level 1

YES and I keep yelling at my son and he says he's not doing anything differently!!

Re: Is there anyone else having a major probblem with excessive data usage with the iPhone 5??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mr_west86,

Let's look into this! Do you stream music or videos? Additionally, do you use video calling (facetime) often? Are you applications set to only update on wi-fi? Have you  had an opportunity to review the date and times of your data sessions here:http://bit.ly/xB4iTc ? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mr_west86

Thank you for your response. I do not stream music or videos, I do not

FaceTime, my apps are not automatically updating when using wifi, I

manually update them so they do not use cellular date either. Yes I have

been able to view my data sessions, and honestly its not adding up. This

morning it said my phone used over 90,000 kilobytes and I do not know how.

I am positive my wife uses her phone more than I do but yet I am using more

data.. I've been to the Verizon store and they have not be able to help me

at all, I really like the coverage I get from Verizon but my confusion on

why my phone is using so much data may cause me to switch providers and I

really do not want to, I just really want to get to the bottom of this

situation. I can't even enjoy my phone because I have cut mainly everything

off. Location is cut off, I've deleted iTunes off my phone, I got mainly

all my applications to only be accessed through wife for when I get home. I

cut off my cellular data as soon as I get home because I am under wife when

I am home. My wife do not have to do anything of what I've just mentioned

but yet I am still using more data than she. Is my phone defected,

something has to be wrong here. Please I will really appreciate it if you

or anyone can help me figure what is going on. Please, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 8, 2013, at 12:55 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mr_west86, We can understand your concern and we don't want to see you go, which is why we want to do all we can to determine where the usage is stemming from.
I want to list a few things that may affect data usage being abnormally high.

1. Settings>General>Cellular>iTunes: This setting impacts the downloading of iTunes Store content. If
you do not wish to download iTunes content over cellular, you can switch this setting to off.

2. Settings>iTunes and App Stores>Use Cellular Data: This setting impacts app downloads and app/content
updates. If the you do not wish to download apps or updates over cellular, you can switch this setting to off.

3. Verify WiFi connectivity and stability: If you lose WiFi connectivity and don't realize it, you could continue using as if you are on WiFi but are actually on the cellular network. Make sure there is good WiFi signal and can maintain a connection. Note that the WiFi antenna will go to sleep when the screen goes off in order to conserve battery life. This is by design and as soon as the
screen comes back on, WiFi will reconnect.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mr_west86

I have iTunes Store content to be used over cellular data cut off, I also

have downloads and app/content cut off as well, and when I get home to use

my wifi connection, I cut off my cellular data so I am only using WiFi when

I am at home. I've tried everything I could possibly think of to cut down

my data usage, I've even changed the time amount I am even on my phone but

yet I am still stacking up on data, more than half of what my wife is using

and while she uses her phone more than I use mines.. I can understand if

its something special about the iPhone that its using more data than my

wife's Galaxy Note 2, but I am sure that is not the case. I just want to

find a solution to this issue.. I hate to be a nuisance and everything, I

just want what everyone else who are having issues with their iPhones who

have Verizon wants, a solution. I really appreciate you guys responding to

me, that shows that tech support is really trying, I just hope we can get

this issue resolved...I really like being with Verizon, I just dont want to

have to downgrade to stay with them because I also love my iPhone.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
Popples4875

I noticed this issue and I noticed it stopped after I disabled  the 4g  LTE. I don't know why or why the created that cause I would use the same amount of data in a week that would normally take a whole month

0 Likes
mr_west86

So it has something to do with the iPhone 5 itself because my wife Note 2

using 4g LTE and do not use half of the data I use... So now my question is

do 4g LTE affect iPhone 5's more than they do any other phone using 4g LTE?

0 Likes
oneluv81

I just switched from sprint so I could finally have 4G.  Before I switched I verified my data usage for the last 6 months and I never broke 1G in a month.  Now in 6 days with this phone and on Verizon I am getting a text that says I am over half of my way to busting my coverage.  I don't watch movies, I don't navigate, I don't listen to any music.  I skyped twice for a few minutes.  I am being told now that Skype will eat all my data.  Not sure what the benefit of having 4G is if I have to disable all features and now not use the phone.  I looked at my data usage and its saying at 7:10 AM I am using all sorts of data, funny that I'm at work at that time and phone is not being used.  Its not adding up, I have another few days to cancel and I wanted the coverage but not worth the trouble

0 Likes
mr_west86

That is the reason I switched, because of the coverage but like you said it's starting to not be worth the trouble... My wife's phone is 4G compatible but she's not using half of the data my iPhone is using...I just want a solution. It's not fair that I can't fully use my phone because it's eating up so much data.. While my wife can use hers freely without worrying about using up the data on our plan.. It's weird to me...very weird.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes