Is it possible to use data when my device hasn't been activated?
ButtersEvilTwin

Hello. I am a current Verizon customer who just got a iPhone 5c and have been setting up the phone (using Wifi as a connection) but have not activated the phone with Verizon. I have turned off a lot of the cellular data usage settings and have noticed that, according to the iPhone, noticeable cellular data is being used by the phone's system services such as Push Notifications and Networking. Is it possible for cellular data to be used, when the the phone has not been activated yet? I am trying to limit cellular data usage and am wondering if these idle background services are really using significant data or the iPhone is inaccurate.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cellular Data Usage Possible Without Activation?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there ButtersEvilTwin,

Congrats on the new 5c! If the phone has not been activated on our network than there is no way you'd be able to use cellular data because you are not connected to our network. The only way you'd be able to use data is by connecting to WiFi.

Is there a reason you have not activated the phone yet? Do you need some help setting it up? Let us know!

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Cellular Data Usage Possible Without Activation?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there ButtersEvilTwin,

Congrats on the new 5c! If the phone has not been activated on our network than there is no way you'd be able to use cellular data because you are not connected to our network. The only way you'd be able to use data is by connecting to WiFi.

Is there a reason you have not activated the phone yet? Do you need some help setting it up? Let us know!

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes