Iphone 5 Data overages...still!?
mannyc

So here we are, end of November and I am still getting data overages from my iPhone 5. According to Verizon, I use about 5X more data than my family... and they all have smartphones. Obviously this is mistake and yes I have updated my phone to the lasted software. I've spoken to tech support several times and have had the phone replace 3X. They continue to reimburse my overages (if I call) but they don't always reimburse my taxes. I am always connected to WIFI, What the deal?

I here that if your using the sleep mode, it uses data on the network, even when your connected to WIFI. What have you guys experienced? Are you using sleep mode? Do you still have overages? Any results?

Oh, and the loyalty department offered an alternative... a android phone.. Are they serious?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone 5 Data overages...still!?
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

call apple

or get the android

if it keeps happneing with multiple phones, its an issue with theu user.

0 Likes
egodspeed

I just signed up for Verizon Wireless with an iPhone 5 earlier this week after switching from an iPhone 5 on another provider. I just noticed that I used cellular data today and I've been at home with a STRONG WiFi signal! I have noticed the times I appear to be using data is immediately after I bring the phone up to use it after it's been sitting around in sleep mode or idle for a while. It's as if it was in some power saving mode with WiFi off and then I turn on the phone and I immediately see "LTE" for a second or so before showing that I'm connected to WiFi. This is strange because, well, I thought I was on WiFi the entire time. I would like to point out that I also use two Apple Airports (Extreme and Express, both updated) for my WiFi at the house. My iPhone 5 is also updated to iOS 6.0.1 and the carrier settings are Verizon 13.3.

Regardless of what's really taking place, I just got off the phone with Verizon (and Apple) and this is what they told me to do:

1) Reset all SETTINGS. Not just network settings, but ALL of them. ONLY SETTINGS. Test to see if you're still being charged data.

2) If resetting all settings doesn't work, then restore the phone and set it up as a NEW phone. Do NOT restore from a backup, which is what I did when I switched to Verizon.

3) If those two options don't work, I was told by Apple to get the phone replaced at my local Apple store. Yes, REPLACED. As if it's hardware related (I doubt it).

I hope this helps. I haven't tried this out yet, but I will try it out now and report back shortly.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone 5 is designed to have the WiFi radio sleep when the screen is off. When the WiFi radio is asleep, the cellular data connection will become active. You can control the cellular data connection by turning it off when you are connected to a wifi network for extended periods. There is no way to change the WiFi sleep settings on an Apple device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
gliderpilot166

I use the heck out of my iphone 5 at home, connected to the wifi on my home network. No data overages this first month, and I've been checking every day. This was a software problem, and has been addressed. Make sure your software is up to date. I also leave the cellular data option in "settings" OFF unless I am out of the house. No issues with excess data use so far. I also use the Personal Hotspot as a mobile broadband link for my laptop. It's every bit as fast as my 4g broadband modem device, so the broadband modem is history. Why pay for something you don't need, unless you have the need to be on the phone alot while also connected to the mobile broadband. I don't, so I'll save almost $30 a month by cutting out that line.

0 Likes
egodspeed

I mentioned that my software is all up to date and I'm still utilizing cellular data usage while connected to WiFi. This issue is real and is still present and has NOT been FULLY addressed. Perhaps it's certain circumstances such as those switching from other wireless service providers with a "corrupt" backup of the previously used iPhone 5. Perhaps it's buggy hardware. Nevertheless, this issue has not been fully addressed when the answer you (and Apple) suggest is to turn a feature off that should remain on (cellular data). That's a band-aid solution that I'm sure is an excellent work-around or temporary fix, but no matter how it's worded, it's NOT a true and solid fix.

Now, saying all that, I've reset the settings on my phone and I'm still using cellular data while connected to my WiFi, so the issue is still alive no matter how little data is used. Shouldn't the iPhone FIRST check for preconfigured WiFi before utilizing cellular data? It doesn't appear to be doing this and obviously appears to still be an iOS related issue. My next option is to do a fresh restore of iOS 6.0.1 and set up my phone as a new iPhone. We'll see if that works... 

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

You should check out this thread that has MUCH insight into this subject. And trust me~you are not alone! I love the trolls always joining in to add their 2 cents that there is not a problem just because they were not effected. Um, Apple has issued not one but TWO carrier updates (which neither worked) and Verizon issued a press release. This subject also made front page headlines on both NY Times and Huffington Post. Pretty sure a problem has been established.

Verizon has now credited me 3 straight months (average usage for 3+ yrs= 1.6 GB/month.

Average usage since purchasing I PHone 5 in October? *11 GB/month.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/785414?start=90&tstart=0

0 Likes
vegasrenie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm waiting to chat with someone on support. WHILE I WAS ASLEEP I went from 75% of my data plan used to overage. REALLY?!?  I have no automatic updates and have scaled back to 3G. WTF, Verizon!

And to mdram4x4, it's not an Apple issue.  Apparently the big two - Verizon & ATT - are doing the same thing to their customers, no matter what phone they have.  I've hung out in their customer areas as well.

Oh yes, and my so-called "unlimited" data plan continues...

Can't wait to get out of this contract.

0 Likes