I purchased an iPhone for my daughter for Christmas and within 2 days is at 50% usage of her data plan. If I set up WiFi does it automatically connect to that if enabled?
sodak101

I purchased an iPhone for my daughter for Christmas and within 2 days is at 50% usage of her data plan.  If I set up WiFi does it automatically connect to that if enabled?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I purchased an iPhone for my daughter for Christmas and within 2 days is at 50% usage of her data plan. If I set up WiFi does it automatically connect to that if enabled?
AZSALUKI
Legend

yes...you can set it up to leave wifi on and it should always connect to your wifi network. i believe you can also set it up to notify you when a public network is available (strbucks, barnes and noble, the mall...wherever she may hang out). i got and android for my son, but the condition was that he only use data when wifi is available. so far, he has been good about it. streaming videos and music (or downloading them) will eat it up quick so she should be careful when doing that.

0 Likes
Re: I purchased an iPhone for my daughter for Christmas and within 2 days is at 50% usage of her data plan. If I set up WiFi does it automatically connect to that if enabled?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Isn't there an issue with iPhones, though, that if set up for wi-fi and data is still turned on, that when the phone goes to sleep, it reverts back to cellular data?  I don't have an iPhone, but remember seeing posts along those lines (I'll do a search in a bit).  If it were me, I'd turn off cellular data until I needed it (that's what I do with my Android).

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, I remembered correctly; here's one thread, note post number 22:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/877972#877972

0 Likes
superphonegeek

I've been with Verizon one month....I've gone from having a 2gb data plan to now having a 16gb data plan!

0 Likes
android_wiz
Contributor - Level 1

well i wouldnt move up the data plan you have to take into consideration proration

so it will depend on your cycle date and date of activation

0 Likes
Scubagomer

You know it's only like $10 a month per line to set a solid limit a data use. Your Change from a 2GB to a 16GB plan is nearly $70 a month. Maybe another alternative would be better. My dad put a hard use limit on my sister rather than risk her exceeding the data limit.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't know if Iphones are like Android where you can set apps to only update over wi-fi and turn off auto updating of apps.

Also with only 2 GB she can't really watch lots of video or constantly stream music from apps like Pandora or Spotify etc unless she's doing it over wi-fi..

0 Likes
Not applicable

Scubagomer wrote:

You know it's only like $10 a month per line to set a solid limit a data use.

Where do you get that? I thought usage controls were $5 a month. Personally I think they should be included.

0 Likes