I have to power off my 5c once a day (or more) to receive emails, instant messages and notifications. Any idea why or how to fix it?
CountsClan

I have to power off my 5c once a day or more often to receive emails, instant messages and notifications.  This seems to have started in the last few months and is annoying.  Any idea how to fix it?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: I have to power off my 5c once a day (or more) to receive emails, instant messages and notifications.  Any idea why or how to fix it?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Countsclan,

We hear you need help.  When did this issue occur?  Has there been any recent changes on your phone? Does this occur when you are connected to WiFi or when connected to our network?  Please share details so we can assist.

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: I have to power off my 5c once a day (or more) to receive emails, instant messages and notifications. Any idea why or how to fix it?
jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

I would suggest throwing the 5C into the trash and upgrading to an Android device.... (just kidding...ok maybe not....but dont take it personal).

Are we talking about SMS or iMessage? Are you using the built in mail app? If so, what type of email account?

Have you checked your notification settings?

Let me know if I can help....I'm a former apple support tech...

0 Likes
Re: I have to power off my 5c once a day (or more) to receive emails, instant messages and notifications. Any idea why or how to fix it?
CountsClan

It's like the phone is confused about everything. I'll notice I haven't received an email for a few hours (my work email is on that phone, so I get a lot of mail - microsoftexchange I think). I'll power off the phone and when it starts back up there will be several texts (normally iMessage from my kids) and a boat load of mail. I noticed this after installing iOS8. It used to only happen a couple of times a week, but now I just power off daily so I don't miss something important. I've "forgotten" the email and re-set it up. I don't know what else to try. I heard this was a memory issue, so I've deleted a bunch of apps and clear the history.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
CountsClan

Thanks. I don't know exactly when it happens, just notice it's been quiet and power it off and then a bunch of email or texts appear. It happened after installing iOS8. I'm normally on wifi (home or work). I assume it's due to memory and have deleted everything I can. I'm not sure what else to try.

Jennifer

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

The apps you mention would get udated with wifi or cellular data. If they are restricted to wifi only, you may have to change that setting. 

TThing to try.

Have you done a hard reboot?  Hold power and home button until the phone turns off then on again.  Then release.

forget all settings, no data will be effected.  You will need to sign into wifi again.

reset network settings.

a Full wipe and restore, the more drastic solution, backup your phone, reset all settings and data.   Then restore as new phone.  Then restore your phone from backup.

Next stop Apple repair.

0 Likes
Re: I have to power off my 5c once a day (or more) to receive emails, instant messages and notifications.  Any idea why or how to fix it?
jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

Microsoft Exchange didn't always place nice with Apple products, iOS in particular. Check with your work IT folks, make sure you have everything set properly....sometimes they have to install security profiles for the sake of the organization's sensitive info that could get loose should your phone go missing....but they can tell you if its your device or something serverside causing you issues.

With iMessage....its always been spotty....when I worked there, updates were notorious for causing iMessage to go on the fritz left and right every time. Just check your network settings, sometimes a reset network settings can fix it, other times its just the iMessage servers fracking up again....this is why i avoid apple like the plague....

mama23dogs
Legend

I Don't understand why use a messaging system that depends on data connection and servers, rather than just using text messages.   In the past, text packages were limited on cell phones, but not any more.

just a side note on email.... Several posts, on various phones, complain of email not coming through, all using the included mail application.   The problem resolved when the user switched to a different/downloaded mail app.

apple has several mail apps which can combine multiple inboxes, and they actually work very well. 

I Use dedicated mail apps (gmail and yahoo) because I get better spam control.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The only "benefit" to using iMessage is that it doesn't count towards your text plan. There are still plenty of people on old plans that don't include unlimited text so the benefit exists. It's moot if you don't have a texting limit of course but we have to remember that everyone isn't in the same boat.

mama23dogs
Legend

((Sarcasm totally intended here...).  Well they need to get with it...it's 2015 already.

IMessage has its advantages, that I can see, and beyond limited text packages.

iMessage can be used on non-cellular devices, like ipad and Mac computers. 

But it still doesn't explain her messages and email not going through to the phone.  And why would restarting the phone get them through?  If changing email app to one other than included app fixes the problem, then it's not a communication problem, its a software problem on the phone.

@CountsClan

i suggest backing up phone to computer and do a factory restore.  If IOS 8 is "patchy" and not functioning correctly, this will install a complete version of ios 8, rather than a "Frankenstein" version.