Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, I know that it will never happen. To my point, if Verizon truly cared about customer service as much as they claim to (begging you to take surveys every time you call in, sales reps begging you to go online and take a survey and give them high scores)....seems to me this issue could have and should have been easily resolved via giving effected clients unlimited data *until they can figure out AND FIX their problem!* At least then, I would feel that they went out of their way to ensure that I had minimal impact and I wouldn't even be annoyed that the problem was there to begin with because it would not effect my life via phone calls, repeating my story to a million people, being promised credits, not receiving credits, calling back in, getting escalated again, again and AGAIN before someone gives me a stupid $30 statement credit. What about my TIME credit! In any case-I was just pointing out that providing unlimited data to customers who could prove were effected (such as their own online tool to view average 6 ms history) and see that it was out of whack-and knowing this problem is out there. Then, they can switch it back to share everything once they are confident they have resolved it. Bad Press has cost them much more. The fact that it is still going on a month later, and media is once again picking up the subject (starting articles with-"hey! Thought this was fixed, Verizon????") is going to cost them much more than taking care of their customers in the first place.

I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
girlsfly2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post.  It makes one feel "connected" when others understand and try to assist. 

I have an update I would like to share.  After reading the comments here, further investigating the excessive data use with iPhone 5 and Verizon, I armed myself with LOTS of information and called Verizon.  I began speaking with the person who sold me my iPhone and he gave plenty of incorrect information.  He suggested I turn off iMessage, iCloud, etc etc etc.  Anyway, he said he heard about a problem but it was "fixed" weeks ago.  However please call Verizon directly and document the problem.  I did so today and got Lynn on the phone.  Nice young lady who must be auditioning as the next big star in a remake of Clueless.  She had never heard of this problem so I began by reading a quote from the New York Times dated 1 Oct 12.  She put me on hold, came back and again, not really sure what I was talking about.  So I read her another quote from the NY Times stating Verizon is aware of the problem.  On hold again.  Finally after reading several different portions of different articles to her, she connected me to Tech Support.  Now please note, I am NOT tech savvy so this has been a real lesson for me.  Thankfully I was connected to a young man named Anthony who was wonderfully helpful in a way I have not experienced with Verizon as of yet.  Anyway, Anthony immediately admitted there is a problem, however since I am having problems and have not gotten any prompts from Verizon to correct the problem, he would walk me through all the steps.  My software was up to date (iOS 6.0.1) however I am on Carrier 13.3.  Anthony said I should be on 13.1.  Nope, am sure it says 13.3.  So he calls Apple, they say 13.3 hasn't been released so not sure how I got it but it should be 13.1.  So he walks me through the steps of making sure my phone is backed up, then he has me erase all content and settings.  (This made me nervous but I did it).  Anyway, had a little bit of a time getting my phone reset but Anthony walked me through it all.  He ended up calling me back 2 different times (while I waited for my iPhone to reboot).  He went through the company montra of how I will be reimbursed for data over usage but I will wait and see how that works out. 

My plan is to go to my local Verizon store tomorrow, talk to the guy who sold me the cell - along with the store manager - update them on the problem and encourage them to update their employees.  It is unprofessional at the least to have customers working on these problems when Verizon should be helping the customer through these things.  It's unfortunate that customer service is too often unavailable - no matter how expensive you are invested in a service.  Will try to update on how things go at Verizon and if my data usage slows down. 

P.S.  If you happen to have a son/daughter who is on your shared plan with you, be prepared to apologize to them after fussing at them for using up so much of your data plan.  It's not their fault - it is Verizons/Apples fault.  Yes, I had to apologize and am the better woman for doing so!

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

Have any of you guys tried Updating to Apple IOS 6.0.1, and/or tried joining the $99 Apple Developer Program and then tried installing Apple IOS 6.1.0 Beta after Provisioning your Device with XCode 4.6 Developer Preview? I do have access to the Beta, but I am Prohibited from Sharing it with anyone, by the way, under Apple's Terms of Use Agreement. I no longer have access to the Apple Developer Forums (Due to Bad Behavior) so I am sort of Testing this Beta all on my own, and am unaware if anyone else figued out whether or NOT either 6.0.1 and/or 6.1.0 Beta fixes the Problem or NOT. (I still have my Unlimited Data Package due to Purchasing the IPhone 5 from Apple.Com before I am Eligible for a New 2 Year Contract, I am NOT yet Eligible until 05/19/2013).

0 Likes
Contel

>Post deleted. Cross posting and duplication of posts are not permitted on this site<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jrigdon112
Enthusiast - Level 2

How has this worked out for you?? Is it better now? Because I we are using up data like it's candy around here!! Already at 0.7gb for this billing cycle and we are only 4 days in with just two phones. This was our average monthly usage per phone when we were on USCellular with Androids. Just switched to Verizon and got our iPhone 5's last week and the hubby would kill me if we started having data overages because of the switch Smiley Happy

Anyways, we are on Verizon 13.3 too and iOS 6.0.1 too. Did yours get better after doing what the tech had you do?

sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

It has not actually been resolved. However I have decided that I am refusing to allow it to suck up hours of my time this month. I called, and had it documented mid month, that we were over our allotment once again and yes-we have done all of the updates and even took a trip to the Apple store and they configured all of the settings. I will call again when my bill cycles for my statement credits.

Once again-our 6 month *average* was 1.6 GB per month. Here comes the purchase of the I Phone 5 and we blow through about 11GB's PER cycle. The I Phone 5 is mostly hooked up to wi fi and not cellular data. I have tried everything-and the 2nd carrier fix did not solve the problem, either.

Interestingly, I was receiving text alerts on a daily basis last month and this month-when we used our allotment, I had not received one sincle text alert (should get at least 3 before you hit 100% of data consumption). I called customer support and she said I am enrolled and had no idea why I haven't received them. Curious.

casiwalters
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got the same overage message but when I get on my account it says we are nowhere near our overage?  HELP!!

I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
girlsfly2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally made my way to my local Verizon store. Long story short - manager (as he flipped his hair at me and acted so very superior) "has never heard about this and has no way to make the problem right". How can he know about this if I am the only person within the Verizon community having this problem??? The guy who sold me the phone, did get on the internet, reviewed some of the letters and articles in newpapers/tech magazines, and said he sees where there is a problem but hopes with this new 6.0.1 and 13.3 carrier FIXES, I will no longer have any problems.  We will see - my monthly data plan just renewed for the month. 

So far I am VERY UNIMPRESSED with Verizon - especially with their management folks.  I suggested I go back to the 4G but they said I shouldn't until things get worked out, I need to stay with 6G's.  WHY?  Well they can't refund any monies at their level.  I asked, "what is it you can do? Sell phones and then claim no responsibility at all?"  Yes, that's about the size of it. 

I am going to have to keep up with this and when the class action suit comes - and it will - I will be one of the first to sign up!!!  I've only been a Verizon customer for a little over a month and so far - NOT IMPRESSED and pretty much HATE THE LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM AND LACK OF SERVICE!  I will not renew my contract with this company and I will warn everyone I come into contact with about this company.  The good thing - I am part of a very large military community and medical community and I look forward to relaying all the dealings I have had with Verizon.

jrigdon112
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you been charged any overages to date since you call and document it with Verizon? I can't believe they can't figure this out!! It's so strange that some ppl have a problem but others nothing...

0 Likes
chellenyc

hi everyone -

i recently switched my son and me to verizon from AT&T.  at the same time we got the iPhone 5 and also upgraded shortly after to iOS 6.  my son's phone seems to have the data-eating bug and mine doesn't.  we went over our data this month (after one week we had already blown through 50% and a few days later 90%) which is weird because we never went over with AT&T, never even came close to our allowance. i did hear about the wifi bug and though i purchased later in october, i checked to make sure we are both running 13.3 firmware. 

i'm not sure if it's related to this problem but our iMessage and even text messages are slow and often do not arrive at all or arrive in bursts when they do.  my friends don't have this problem with their 5s and they don't have this problem with anyone but me and my son...

i switched because verizon's network covers all the little towns where my family lives, but so far it's been completely disappointing.  i think i saw that verizon had an official rep in the forum?  has anyone had contact with or assistance from that rep?

thanks,

michelle

0 Likes