Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
ntbhh88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have the same problem. This afternoon I received a text message stating I have used 50% of my data and then around 8:30 pm, I received another text message stating I have used 75% of my data already! Between the time I got the 50% and 75% text messages, I turned off my LTE AND MY WIFI.. just to see if my data increases at all. I turned it on a few times to check my mail and search up some things on the browser. I don't understand how I could have used 0.5 gb doing all that between this afternoon until now. It just makes no sense to me. I am glad I'm not the only one who is dealing with this issue.

I previously owned the iPhone 4s and had one of Verizon's promotion plans of 300 mb for $20. I never went over the limit while having that plan for almost a year, so believe me, I DO NOT use that much data. Now that I have the $30 for 2 GB, I would never believe that I would get this close to 2 GB.

This is so ridiculous.....

anthrpthticlffrm
Enthusiast - Level 1

just chiming in to say same problem for me.  I was using about .5 GB a month, get the iphone and suddenly im using over 2 GB.  I haven't been using it anymore than my old phone so I called to see what was up.  The rep transferred me to tech support and the girl from tech support assured me that it is a known issue and that i will not be charged for any overages.  she said they are hoping for a fix soon.

im a little worried about actually receiving the credit, but i guess we will see.  glad to see im not the only one with the issue.

jondal
Contributor - Level 1

I have seen that 4g does pull more than 3G devices this may or may not be your problem

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

They just released a software update this afternoon. Hope it fixes all the problems.

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Funny-I didn't get any notifications. Thanks for the update-I will REUPDATE now!! Also-as far as the "automatic bill credit" I said that I would update-it wasn't so automatic. I had to call in and after 2 escalations, explaining my story to 2 different people (even with all of the documentation in the system since Day 1)...and 45 minutes of my time spent..I finally got a $30.00 statement credit. Not a smooth process and I expect the same for this cycle...

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You are not always given an automatic notification that an update is available on your device but you can always find out if one is available by checking in settings or when you connect your phone to your computer for iTunes to detect it. It's not reupdating...this is a new software update (versus if you were somehow reupdating to the same software version you already had....which you can't on the iPhone since once you update you can't downgrade back to the previous version). At any rate, hope it helps those with the issues although I'm not sure if it states that it addresses data issues. Pretty sure that somewhere on the Apple forums people are reporting what it addresses and whether any data issue relief has been noticed.

0 Likes
girlsfly2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for discussing this problem, and I do not think you are being rude by discussing the problems you are experiencing and fear of experiencing in the future. 

I am NOT tech savvy, however my son convinced me to get the new iPhone 5 (I had the 4 but it was damaged), he got one also, and he convinced me to switch our carrier to Verizon.  I did this, and within 10 days I was fussing at him for using up 75% of our Shared 4G plan. (Our last plan shared 2G and in 2 years we went over the 2G 3 times while traveling).  So, I added 2G's to our plan in hopes that would be sufficient (Now on a 6G plan).  With 10 days left on our plan, I am once again getting a notice we have used 75% of our 6G's.  So I go into our bill and see that texting (which we are suppose to have unlimited texting) is being charged to our data plan.  This makes no sense what so ever.  Tomorrow I am going to Verizon and finding out what is going on.  I did download "the fix" and I turned off the LTE (although now I don't remember how I did that, just followed advise in one of the previous blogs).  Will see how it goes tomorrow but for now, all I can say is at this rate, I can't afford Verizon or the iPhone 5.  I agree with a previous suggestion that Verizon and Apple, KNOWING this problem, should provide either unlimited data until the problem is corrected, negate all contracts, offer to buy back the iPhone 5 and do all of this without customers having to spend hours on end working through a problem KNOWN TO BOTH COMPANIES!!!  I don't care whose FAULT it is, both companies need to man-up, take responsibility for their products and treat their customers respectfully. 

B33
Legend

Well one thing you can Do is if you have Wi-Fi you can use that for sending Text and the Data Now i no that's Defeating the Purpose of the 4G but it is one Way to Control it if your young little Guy like sending allot a Text) But i see you Frustration as on Share Everything Plans Sending Text is Listed as Unlimited..

I provided the Plan Out line Via the Link Click on it and have a Look:  b33

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan-information/?page=share-everything&intcmp=VZW-VNT-SE-SHAREEV...

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your feedback. It has been unnerving and a HUGE INCONVENIENCE AND TIME CONSUMPTION for me for over a month, now.

Thank you for pointing out that an I Message is sent using data-rather than text message. ONE MORE THING THAT I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT because NOBODY bothers to notify customers of this. After reading your post, I checked to turn I Message off and I couldn't figure out how to do it. This would not burn through 11 GB in a month (when typical usage for 3 years is less than 3 GB per month and 6 ms average usage is 1.6 GB) but it's still one more thing. Why should I, the customer, with as much money as I have spent between I Phones, and bills have to google, search around and rely on message boards to tell me important information that VERIZON should be telling me?

The I Phone 5 did not even come with a user manual. Nice.

Walker4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nice idea about unlimited data but we all know the almighty dollar means more to Verizon than customer satisfaction and customer peace of mind!!!!!!!!!