..•/\•..

//

//

0 Likes
Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suggest that if you want to continue to complain about the Bionic that you do so in the Bionic forum, and not the iPhone 5 forum.

LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

Not so sure it is Apple's mess up. My best friend has an iphone 5 on AT&T.  She uses it alot on the cell network to mess around on the web while at work. I asked her to check her data usage after seeing all the issues on this forum. She is halfway through her bill bycle and has used a half a gig so far. So it is either a verizon issue or Apple put some bad phones out. But it is definitely not an iphone 5 issue for all phones. 

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Again...not a Bionic owner, never used one, don't own or use any Android device so your sarcasm/issue/problems are Greek to me. ICS means??? (rhetorical question...I don't actually care what it means or what it is because it doesn't apply to me and I couldn't help you with it even if I wanted to). If you're with AT&T and you own a Bionic why are you posting in the VZW forum dedicated to the iPhone 5 (or in a VZW forum at all)? Again, rhetorical.

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

Save yourself hours and hours of customer service calls. Put your data back to what you originally had.....keep notes, names (badge #'s), dates, for any communications, and save any articles where verizon admits there is a problem, etc. Set your verizon account up on automatic bill pay with a credit card (amex or any other good one) and dispute every bill that has overages for data with the credit card company until the issue is solved. The charges will be kicked right back to verizon so you don't have to pay anything til everything is resolved. It can take a couple months as everything is done in writing. And if you were to lose (which I doubt), you can appeal and kick the charges right back again to verizon while that is settled.

And for every bill you get that has data overages, file a notice of dispute with verizon.....short form, 2 minutes to fill out and mail it in. Let verizon take the heat instead of you.

homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am glad to see your post. I don't use my phone a lot for data usage. But what I'm seeing is that when I go out my phone shows data usage even when my phone is in my pocket. I have turned email and everything else off and maybe only make a phone call or send a text message. On my phone in usage it shows cellular network data as being 1.3 MB sent and 5.7 MB received since  Oct. 11th.  online shows about the same. what I don't understand is how can I be using MB's of data when I'm not even using the phone. The only way I can stop the data usage is to turn off the cellular data in settings. I have done their upgrade to my iphone 5 but I think it is still reporting cellular data usage when I'm home on my wifi. Hope you get an answer to this problem soon if not I would be willing to join in the fight cause I got this phone so I could use it occasionally to be able to look online for info or check facebook but wright now I'm afraid to use it cause I live on a fixed income and can't afford to go over. I was one of those that gave up my unlimited for my upgrade but before I never even used more than 1G and I even tethered my laptop to my droid phone occasionally. Also I keep the 4G turned off cause when  turn it on the data usage goes up even more when not using the phone

davidgibas
Enthusiast - Level 2

my iPhone 5 says 238mb in usage area on my phone , but account online says 897.3mb and domestic 197mb

???

what should i do ,, any answers ?

0 Likes
davidgibas
Enthusiast - Level 2

i only have 1 line on my account

my iPhone 5 says  341mb usage

4 hours and 12 mins

my online account says 897.7mb and domestic 197mb

W T F

???? VERIZON CONTACT ME WHY

I PICKED 1GB DATA FOR THE RESEASON THAT I KNOW I WONT USE IT MUCH AT ALL

I HAVE WIFI AT HOME AND WIFI AT WORK

AND I HAVE THE CARRIER UPDATE 13.1

TODAY I HAD  WIFI AND DATA OFF , BUT SOME HOW I GOT A EMAIL  ???

ANSWER ME THAT  , APPLE HAS NO CLUE AND I WAS AT THE APPLE STORE WHEN THIS HAPPENED AND IT SCARED THE APPLE GUY

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for sharing your story. This is not a limited problem, this is a WIDESPREAD problem, spanning over multiple countries. I have old cell phones as well in the junk drawer and I am considering hooking one of them back up and putting my I Phone 5 in the JUNK DRAWER where it belongs. I received another text alert this morning-I have now used 75% of 8 GB with a week remaining in my cycle. NOTHING that I have done has worked. Not visiting Verizon in person, not contacting both Verizon and Apple customer service, multiple times spending several hours on the phone with each. Prior data before purchasing the I Phone 5 last month? LESS than *3* GB EVER used in a month cycle over a 3 year span of records that I reviewed.

I will now have to call and increase to 10 GB's (LAUGHABLE) because I have a week left in the cycle. Verizon reps told me that you *have* to call and increase GB's as oppossed to just allowing it to lapse over because I will have more of a fight on my hands trying to get the credits when my bill comes out. This way, it shows that I have been monitoring my usage, calling in and talking with someone on a weekly basis and having documentation to support my claim. Even then-the "credits" are sketchy at best and nobody can tell you what the action plan is to credit customers back this data usage. I know one thing-I am not doing this for another month. I wasn't kidding when I said I was going to junk my I Phone 5 and go back to my prior phone. I am not about to pay $300 per month for a phone bill when I have internet at work, internet at home and Wi Fi in both places yet I am blowing through 10 GB's of data in a month. The only aps that I have that are not standard with the phone are facebook and twitter. That's it. 2. And I ensure they are "closed" *every single time* I use either ap. This is ridiculous and I am glad to hear that others are STILL having this problem DESPITE doing the carrier update!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I contacted VZW this morning and asked out of curiosity if I start experiencing the data overage issue would I need to keep increasing my data plan to keep it from charging me overages and would I be charged for increasing my plan.  (I called as a friend of mine with their permission because they have a tiered data plan. Otherwise, if I had called as myself the rep would have pointed out that I have unlimited data and shouldn't worry about the issue). I was told NOT to increase my data plan because if I do then there will be no overages that can be credited back because my account would never show overages occurred. THAT actually makes a lot of sense because otherwise, it would just look like I knew I was using a lot of data and kept increasing my data to cover it (let's pretend this was a regular month and there was no data issue going on). Unfortunately I couldn't tell you how to contact this specific rep (her name was Jessica but realistically it would be close to impossible to get her without a direct extension to her) but she did notate the account about the call and the questions that I asked. When I asked her if the account would be notated about my call she assured me that it would be and even read back the notes she typed in (I did NOT ask her to do this...she did it on her own which was great, but I don't know if others will be as accommodating). So....honestly, I'd worry a LOT about continuously upping your data plan without having it in writing that you should. A friendly suggestion (if it doesn't take too much of your "precious time") would be to try emailing VZW and asking if you need to keep upping your data plan with this issue (you can go in to your full on rant also if you'd like...so it's also in writing to VZW and not just on a user forum). You will get a written response (be prepared for a canned answer initially as is almost always the case...but if you put a request at the very beginning of your email that you would like whomever responds to completely read your concerns before sending a response it might eliminate the issue). You can then use this if there is an issue after billing where otherwise anything you say you were told verbally would be difficult to prove. This is good advice for any situation where  you anticipate conflict....if I contact any company in regards to something that I want clear and defined procedures for I will opt for emailing them rather than calling or if I have to call I ask if any information can be emailed to me. If I do a chat session for CS on a website I ask if a copy of the session will be emailed to me for my records. If not, then I copy, paste, and save the chat session on my computer.

And if you do decide that you will junk your iPhone...instead of sticking it in a drawer I'm pretty sure you can get pretty good money on it by selling it (if you have no intent on using it again). There are still a ton of people out there that are dying to have the device despite what is written on the internet about it. It's something worth considering if you decide you won't use it at all in the future.

0 Likes