Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
Not applicable

sunshinegirlie wrote:

There is nothing that you can do-this is according to Verizon-

I don't have an iphone so I don't know if you can shut off IPv6 but if you can do it.

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told by Verizon Tech Support that physically going into a Verizon store would not help "because there is NO fix right now". A class action lawsuit can and will be filed the moment that I receive my bill and I am charged for 16 GB of data for one month when I have never even used 3 GB of data in one month. If it is not systematically credited, as their press release states and I have to spend one second of my time chasing down my money/credits-you can bet that is a class action lawsuit. My suggestion to provide unlimited data is based soley on the fact that I AM WASTING COUNTLESS HOURS OF MY TIME on the phone with reps trying to resolve this. I am not looking for "extra free data"..I am looking for this problem to have a FIX that WORKS and NOT BE CHARGED for 16 GB's of data in one month!

Not applicable

You do realize this is APPLE's mess up not Verizon's.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I never stated that YOU were looking for extra data. I clearly stated that there are some individuals that will try it. And, the only way it can be a class action lawsuit is if it actually qualifies and VZW refuses to credit the charges back to the accounts of those that are having issues. Right now, you are already in battle mode but as you just clearly pointed out, you have yet to have a reason to threaten legal action or to be defensive. You have not been charged and told you must pay the fees...and VZW has clearly stated that customers would not have to pay these fees. IF that changes and you are told you must pay then THAT would be the time to go in to attack mode. Otherwise, you know the following to be true:

• VZW and Apple are aware of the data issue
  • VZW has stated that customers will NOT have to pay these fees
  • You have NOT received a bill that states you MUST pay the fees
  • You have NOT been denied credit to your account for the fees because NO FEES HAVE BEEN CHARGED TO DATE
  • Your continued data drain issue has been documented based on your contact with VZW (I assume you were given a reference number or trouble ticket number if one was generated...or at the very least, you have kept record of the date/times you have spoken with VZW on this issue)

In no way am I trying to make it seem like you don't have an issue going on. But you have already pre-plotted out your attack despite having no real reason to. It would be different if VZW were denying an issue exists (NOT the phone reps that...unfortunately aren't always the best informed individuals...browse through this forum and you'll see the complaints about that lol). So all I'm saying is...I really hope you are venting your frustration on the internet like this but you haven't been in attack mode like that with the reps that have tried to help...even if they weren't able to fix the issue. Besides, if the fees are going to be credited back to customers with the issue...then you can call it unlimited data if you like. If you use your device like you normally would then it would mean the term "unlimited" shouldn't affect you at all...since you didn't have an unlimited plan to begin with. As long as you don't have to pay more and you are able to use your device as you normally would have with your limited data plan then you have not lost anything as far as the actual data or money.

As far as what a rep on the phone has already told you...it would seem like you might be a bit cautious with what the phone reps have told you since you mentioned that they initially acted like they had no clue what issue you were referring to. Also, if you have been keeping up with the articles that you cited since this issue first was announced then you should have already been aware that there was nothing that phone support had been able to do to address the issue in the first place...so I'm not sure what fix you were looking for them to do if you had already been doing your research on the issue via the news outlets you mentioned. With that being said, as I pointed out, if you go in to a VZW or Apple store (Apple preferably, but if there isn't one near you then VZW will suffice) you can have them look at your device to check it in person...and if they can't figure out the issue they may replace your device under warranty. Of course, this could only be possible if they have replacement devices in stock. There seems to have been success stories regarding replacement devices for those that go to Apple stores...not sure about VZW. If they swap the device then the issue may or may not still exist. I have to assume that obviously, this issue doesn't exist on every device...not because I think the problem is small or only affecting a few people...I say this because I know I have a device that does NOT have the issue so unless I somehow have the only one out of the millions sold that managed to not have the issue there must be some that are working fine. If you don't want to physically go in to a store that is your prerogative, but it is an option that is available to you that may help.

0 Likes
davidgibas
Enthusiast - Level 2

i got the iphone 5 on 10-13-2012

at 1:22pmish

on my iphone it says 1 hour and 28 mins of  data used and 122.3mb

but my account online said 588mb and got a text saying at 7:29pm on 10-13-2012 that im at 51% of my data used

and then i checked by calling and get a free text it said on the 16th 164mb used

did they set it at a different number

right now its at 493.3mb and ive had the wifi on only since the 15th at 9pm

so i have no idea where they are getting the data from

WTF

im new to verizon

but had att on iphone 4 and at 1gb monthly and i had data on all the time during the month and only used 738.2mb a month

im not happy with verizon

my bill says $143

when i talked to the rep when i got the iphone they said

$93 plus tax

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are new to Verizon, you might be working with a partial month for you data plan before your first billing cycle ends.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

The issue with you getting billed for WIFI Data Traffic was fixed with Verizon Apple IPhone 5 Carrier Update 13.1. Go to Settings, General, About and make sure under the area where it says Verizon XX.X (that it says 13.1 and NOT 13.0).

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

The point of this thread is that the "Fix" does not work! An Apple consultant not only talked me through updating the carrier settings to make sure that it was done properly, but she sent a link that I clicked on which allowed her to robot into my phone and try things herself. She conceded that nothing is working. After we have burned through approx 1 GB/DAY for the last 3 weeks, Verizon is also conceding that the carrier settings do not seem to be working and they are working on a "permanent, REAL fix" but that they do NOT have one now!

Thanks for your suggestion, though...tried that 3 weeks ago Smiley Happy

edtorious
Enthusiast - Level 1

Let's assume that it was fixed, what is going to happen to those data that accumulated on cell network even though we thought data was on wifi before the fix?  Are they going reverse those data accumulated?  Or if it overages, will they not charge us for data overages instead?  My bill ends Oct. 22 and I'm almost 90% of my 4GB data plan as of today but still I fear that I will be over by my data plan before my billing end date and I will be charged for it and it seems unfair because I don't think I would have accumulated this much data before the fix.   What do you think?

davidgibas
Enthusiast - Level 2

verizon said its apple fault and if theres any data over I'm not accountable on it ,

on my iphone 5 cellular useage it says 129mb

but my online account says 589.7mb

why WTF

answer that