I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Although Apple and Verizon issued a JOINT PRESS RELEASE *weeks* ago regarding the bogus data overage charges that Verizon I Phone 5 owners are accruing, when you call customer service in *both* companies, you are told that employees are UNAWARE of the issue and have not heard anything about it. My typical "Share Everything" usage is the following: July 2012=2.4 GB August 2012=2.8 GB September 2012=2.5 GB. Here comes the purchase of the I Phone 5. October= 6GB's used with TWO WEEKS LEFT in the cycle. I just had to increase my GB for this cycle to a whopping 8 GB's. The press release states that Verizon customers will not be charged for the overage-yet customer service cannot say how Verizon will know which customers were effected. Apple has issued a so called FIX on there support website, yet the Fix DOESN'T WORK. Since the fix-4 days ago, we have blown through *3* GB's. I finally got a tech support person on the line from Verizon this morning who acknowledged this is a problem. (Ya think? it's on the front page of the New York Times and Huffington Post). The tech support person told me "there is no fix". but that she would be happy to send me a text message with my reference number to keep checking back to see if and when a true fix comes out. The problem is: I Phone 5 AND older versions that have had the IOS6 update, are being charged for WiFi usage. These are bogus charges to customers. I have zero confidence that when I call in for my credits at the end of the billing cycle, that it will be a smooth process. And because there is "No fix"-per Verizon...I have to look forward to the same thing next month. I have an idea Verizon: LIsten up!! THE FIX SHOULD BE TO PUT *ALL* I PHONE 5 OWNERS ON *UNLIMITED DATA* UNTIL YOU FIND A FIX. This way, your customers are not being charged bogus data charges and wasting countless hours of their time on the phone with your reps, wasting their time (which you are paying for) to tell us there is no fix!!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
Dani7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes contact them.  If the research I've done is all accurate, it's a problem that won't likely stop before you go over and get charged!  Verizon credited me last month and said they will this month again.  I also heard today from a VZW rep that when the iPhone 5 goes into sleep mode, it disables the wifi??  No one knows why, just that it's another bug, but that basically means all of the updates and such that are done at night are using your data even when you think it's connected to a wifi.

Apple is also aware of the problem, but doesn't have a solution... as sad and frustrated as that is!  Hopefully this will help you understand or at least give you ammunition before you call in.  I had to call in 5-6 times in the last 2 months before I finally got a Rep that would listen and do something rather than tell me it was just me and to use less data!  And that was just last night!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4347104

This article explains it a bit more, but the "solution" doesn't actually solve the problem they realized AFTER publishing this as a solution.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/iphone-5-data-apple-verizon-fix-bug-overages_n_1930180.html

Apple might not be done apologizing just yet.

Just days after issuing a mea culpa for the lackluster quality of its Maps application for iOS 6, Apple is again acknowledging a problem with its new iPhone: This time, it's a bug that's causing Verizon customers to go through huge amounts of cellular data even though they are connected to a Wi-Fi network...

Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
twistedadrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was supposed to be a Carrier fix for this issue already, you had to go into general settings, and then carrier & there should be a prompt to update, click ok & it should tell you to turn off then on your phone.Check to make sure your carrier software is 13.1.....

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Perhaps you didn't read the initial post completely. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with a representative from *Apple 3 nights ago. Together, we DID the carrier update that you are speaking of. She also sent a link to my phone to perform a diagnostics test. THE UPDATE DOES NOT WORK. Which, both Verizon and Apple customer service/tech reps are telling customers. Since the carrier update, the I Phone 5 has burned through 2 GB in 2.5 days. IT DOESN'T WORK. This is the fix that you are referring to which DOES NOT WORK.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5526

ubm0158
Contributor - Level 1

The problem is on the verizon they are doing what they always do: [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] their customers!!

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Even though I am on an unlimited data plan I have been checking my data usage every since threads started popping up about this issue. Maybe I am just extremely lucky, but my usage has not gone up and my wifi use was never charged from what I can tell. My billing cycle ended on 10/09/2012 and the new bill that was generated shows my data usage as .25864GB. Prior to receiving my iPhone 5 I had downloaded iOS 6 to my iPhone 4s so I did have some iOS 6 use before activating my iPhone 5. My current data use shows as 0.052GB as of today. When I look at the breakdown of my data usage I do see small usage during hours that I  know I was at home and using wifi, but this has always been the case long before iOS 6...and my understanding was that it was normal (0.00001 GB). Again, it never mattered to me because I have unlimited data but I understand why those without unlimited would be concerned about any data usage being charged when they are using wifi. Not sure if my numbers are the exception and I'm just really lucky...or if I have a skewed view of what is too much data being charged in a short time frame. Perhaps 0.052 GB is a lot to have used between 10/10 - 10/13?

At any rate, like twistedadrian mentioned, a Carrier update was issued maybe 2 weeks ago...if you haven't done it already maybe that has something to do with your usage still being high? Not sure if you have another iPhone on your account that you share data with but if so make sure the update has been done on that one also. Check your detailed usage on My Verizon and try to match it against the times you know you are on wifi...and continue to monitor it just in case VZW asks for it (not saying that they will). I'm pretty sure that since they are on record as stating that customers wouldn't be charged for data that occurred prior to to fix (but it's possible that if you haven't done the carrier update despite it being the issued fix then they may charge you for those days of continued high usage since the fix existed and was announced but for whatever reason it wasn't done. Again, not saying that this WILL happen to anyone in that situation...it's just something that I imagine could become an issue). Hopefully whatever the issue is for you will be taken care of soon...and if it continues to exist they may need to check your device to make sure there isn't some other issue going on.

0 Likes
twistedadrian
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, sorry...I just kind of skimmed through it because it was all together instead of separated into different paragraphs, it hurt my eyes Smiley Sad sorry again...

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Honestly, I must have missed where in your initial post on this thread you stated that you did the carrier update...or any mention of being on the phone with Apple for 2.5 hrs...all I saw was that you mentioned the press release and Apple's website reference to the so called fix...I don't think anyone that has suggested you make sure the carrier update was installed meant it as a failure on your part. It was just one of those check list things to try and help figure out if there was anything that might help...and on my part when I mentioned it I did so because it never hurts to double check. If you were on the phone with Apple for 2.5 hours I'm pretty sure they had you try a reset and possibly a restore...other than that I really can't think of what else to suggest other than perhaps ask for a replacement device to see if it helps. I know I'm only one person, but I do represent at least one iPhone 5/iOS 6 user that is not having the issue...not sure if it's because of the carrier update or not. I ordered my device from Apple...not sure if that would have anything to do with it either. Oh...I guess it wouldn't hurt to check all of your settings and your apps to make sure you don't have anything that is being a data hog...I believe some people mentioned that the passport app seemed to be an issue. I don't use it so I really don't know.

sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not sure if my above posts are blackened out that talk about the fact that the carrier update was done on my phone-and that Apple was on the line with me to talk me through the carrier update to ensure there were ZERO MISTAKES in the update. The carrier update does NOT WORK!! That is the point of this thread! Overage charges are accruing by 1 GB PER DAY when I have never even reached 3 GB in ONE MONTH! EVER! (Measuring 3 years of bills that I went back and viewed).

VERIZON is TELLING CUSTOMERS *TODAY* that the carrier update "DOES NOT WORK" and "THERE IS NOT FIX AT THE MOMENT". There may be 2 seperate data issues going on here. 1 with the IOS6 and 1 with the I Phone 5. I also have an I Phone 4S on my plan and have had no issues with that (that I am aware of). The issues are ALL with the I Phone 5, CHARGING DATA for WiFi usage at the rate of 1 GB PER DAY. This is not just my issues. As I previously stated...it is on the front page of the New York Times, Huffington Post, both Verizon and Apple issued a joint press release regarding this. The problem is the "carrier update fix" that they put out there does NOT work. As I stated, Verizon needs to give ALL I PHONE 5 owners UNLIMITED DATA until they figure out how to fix this. Can't wait to see the class action lawsuits pouring in over this. I already have a message in with my attorney.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I can assure you that the chances of being given unlimited data is slim to none. Forgiving the overages during the issue, sure...IF those with the issue don't use it as an excuse to take on usage. Like streaming in volumes that they know their plan would never have covered anyway and then blaming it on the issue. Trust me, there will be some that will attempt it. Since VZW clearly stated that customers wouldn't be charged for the increased data due to this issue I can't imagine how anyone would have a class action lawsuit to file...unless they are actually told they must pay the overages. Were you told this?

Have you tried physically going in to a VZW or Apple store about the issue so your device can be checked? I know what's online about the issues...but I also know my own personal experience so something out there has to be working...if it's not the carrier update then maybe the issue is with some devices. All I know for a fact that I didn't read somewhere or see online is that my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 and my mother's iPhone 4 with iOS 6....and even my best friend's 2 iPhone 4s devices on her account also using iOS 6 are not having the issue. I originally only mentioned  mine because this thread and this post was specifically about the iPhone 5...but if the fix isn't working it would seem that the exact cause may be unknown.

sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I didn't mean to be rude! This has sucked up so much of my time that I am enraged!! Apple tried everything. Had me turn off all notification alerts. Had me erase every ap (which I only had 5). Sent me a link to my phone that I clicked on and it gave them "robot ability" to go into my phone and see what I was seeing and make changes. When I say 2.5 hours, I wasn't kidding and they were stumped, too. It seems to only be affecting customers that are not on an unlimited data plan. Which is either extremely bizarre or an extreme conspiracy, imo. At this point in time~there is not a fix. There is nothing that you can do-this is according to Verizon-2 hours ago. All you can do is call in daily to increase GB in your plan and call back after your bill comes out to request credits. (Which is going to be like pulling teeth and consume even more hours of my time). I have 3 non smart phones in the junk drawer that I am about to hook up and put my I Phone 5 in the junk drawer in their place.

As far as the passport ap-that is an ap that comes with the phone and I can't delete it.