How do I improve reception?
jerryoster
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an iPhone 5 and Verizon LTE plan.   I have been getting very poor signal strength readings (-118 db etc.) at home and dropped calls.  If I turn off LTE, the signal improves substantially to as high as -104db; still not great!  I have tried resetting the network, reinserting  and cleaning the SIM card, various reboots, and other suggestions seen here and elsewhere on the internet.  The same happens in other locations.  I never seem to get a good LTE signal, even when the map says I should.  I live in zip 21117.  I have also tried removing the protective case I have for the phone, all to no avail.  With LTE turned on, I often get "no signal" or "searching" messages at home.  I used to get poor phone reception only in my house, but it has gotten worse everywhere when LTE is on.  What can I do?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any way to improve cell reception?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that information jerryoster. Since this first began, have you attempted to perform a master reset? Since a Software update was recently released, it can at times interfere with the connection and the master reset can resolve the issue. Since we can't guarantee indoor coverage, the network extender is a useful tool to strengthen the coverage while inside. How long ago did they file a network ticket for you? Let's work on getting reception back for you.

-PeterV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wow! You've certainly been working hard to get your iPhone up to the speed you need, jerryoster. I'm curious how you cleaned your SIM card though because even the slightest moisture may cause the SIM and phone to malfunction. I am seeing the service in 21117 looks good from here, but indoor service may be difficult no matter where you are because the building can infterfere with signals. Do you have this trouble outside the 21117 area? How far from your home do you need to go for the "no signal" messages to go away?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
jerryoster
Enthusiast - Level 2

I gently wiped the sim card with a dry, lint free cloth and reinserted it.  The problem seems to occur mostly when I have LTE enabled from setup, which is what I have been doing in the past.  If I turn off LTE, I get much better cell reception readings (close to -100db from -118db.)  I have the issue in my house, and also around the neighborhood.  I sometimes get fairly good readings elsewhere with and without LTE enabled, but better without!  "No Signal" will only appear when LTE is enabled.  When I first complained, support suggested I get an access device to hook into my home WiFi network, but I hate to spend that much money if there is another problem and solution.  Looking at a map, LTE seems to be present in my immediate area, although my house is on the perimeter of the coverage map.  Could there be a hardware problem; if so, how do I check, other than what I have done?  If I went to a Verizon store, can they check, or do I need to go to an Apple store?  I would like to have decent service at home as many people call the cell despite the fact that we have a landline!  If I only used LTE when I needed data transfer, would that degrade phone use?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional info jerryoster! We understand the importance of staying connected and having reliable service. We truly apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused and want to do everything we can to turn things around! We can save you a trip to the store, we'll just need a few more pieces of information to determine whether the trouble is a hardware or network issue. Do you know if anyone else in your area is having the same issue? For the strongest connection, I would recommend turning on Voice http://vz.to/1gYkG6K and Data http://vz.to/1lvIRLT roaming.

AshleyS_VZW

0 Likes
Not applicable

jerryoster wrote:

I gently wiped the sim card with a dry, lint free cloth and reinserted it.  The problem seems to occur mostly when I have LTE enabled from setup, which is what I have been doing in the past.  If I turn off LTE, I get much better cell reception readings (close to -100db from -118db.)

The -118 db would be 4G LTE the -100 db would be 3G( or 1x you don't specify ). A -100 db 3G signal is not necessarily better than a -118 db LTE signal. Neither is very good.

jerryoster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both voice and data roaming are turned on, international is off.  According to "anonymuss" below, both the -118 with LTE on and -100db with LTE off are poor signals, so it doesn't whether I have LTE turned on or off?  My son with an android and Verizon gets a poor signal at my house, but my friend with a flip phone (non smartphone) on Verizon gets and can make calls from my house without dropping calls.  I am sure part of the problem is location, but I'm not sure it's the entire issue.  Sometimes I do get a 1x reception message.  What can we do from here to improve my reception, especially at home without a large expense.  I am a health care provider and need to be in touch!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that information jerryoster. Since this first began, have you attempted to perform a master reset? Since a Software update was recently released, it can at times interfere with the connection and the master reset can resolve the issue. Since we can't guarantee indoor coverage, the network extender is a useful tool to strengthen the coverage while inside. How long ago did they file a network ticket for you? Let's work on getting reception back for you.

-PeterV_VZW

0 Likes
jerryoster
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was a Master Reset some months ago, but I'm sure the problem started before that.  I have never had great reception at home, but seems much worse recently.  The complaint goes back a couple months; the rep suggested an extender if nothing else works.  I had ATT&T on my last iPhone (3Gs) and got fair reception at home.   I don't feel that things worsened with the last iPhone OS software upgrade, major or minor.

Although the problem is worst at home, there seems to be some degradation of reception elsewhere, but not as noticeable.  The phone is  no longer under warranty.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional details jerryoster. We would usually recommend a master reset if you had difficulties in every location you visited. It sounds more specific to your home location. Each device will respond differently with indoor structures. In addition slight adjustments to the towers can cause changes in signal strength with certain homes, buildings and neighborhoods. The network is functioning at full capacity with no reported issues in your home zip. We recommend the network extender to boost signal inside your home. http://vz.to/IHRT6h

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
jerryoster
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I last had this conversation with the rep; she said that Verizon would offer me a discount on an extender, as it seemed to be rather expensive.  What is the cost for an extender?  Are they available at Verizon stores, or only online?  (It's a shame that coverage is so poor in many locations despite all the advertising; I am currently in the middle of a major snowstorm in the Mid Atlantic area.  If I had an emergency and my power went out, my cell phone would not work, even with an extender!  My landline is on Comcast, and that would be useless as well. Like the old days before all this great technology; I would have to send smoke signals from my fireplace!)

0 Likes