HUGE problem with data usage on the 5c!!
gggmmm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand when data is used when you are away from wifi and you are downloading videos and streaming stuff -- I understand it would be a lot IF I were doing that, but I'm not.  I have had an iPhone 4 for almost two years -- NEVER a problem with data.  I bought into the "early upgrade" special for a 5c with 32MB (my 4 only had 8MB) so I thought great, awesome, loved my iphone except for the low storage so this was an awesome deal. ("FREE" with $30 upgrade fee)  Well, no wonder they are giving them away, they eat and eat and eat data even when you are ON wifi.  Just going into settings then home screen then settings eats data!  I have dumb downed my "smart" phone and have turned off everything -- EVERYTHING -- and it will still eat data under "System Services".

So, after turning off everything and realizing how stupid it was to have to turn off everything on your smart phone, I wondered what it was using on my old phone so I looked at my old 4 phone, looked under cellular and saw that EVERYTHING was ON -- ON!!! -- My last reset was Sept 2013 and since that time, it only used 1.8 GB for EVERYTHING.Yes, LTE is faster and uses more data, blah blah blah, I turned OFF LTE and it is still munching away.

I am still within the period to return these phones and I am seriously considering doing this because this is just ridiculous!  This is a scam!  If I return these phones, go back to using my 4 and then my contract is up at the end of November this year and then it will be bye bye Verizon, hello AT&T!  After over a decade with you, this is what you do to a loyal customer?  I would like a serious, well-thought out reply from someone who knows what they are talking about.  Why such a HUGE difference in data usage between the 4 and the 5?  Why do I have to turn everything OFF on the 5c when I had everything ON on the 4?

My next move is returning the phones, filing a complaint with the FCC, listing the info on how to file a complaint with the FCC everywhere I possibly can, cancelling my service on the first day possible and telling EVERYONE I know NOT to use Verizon Wireless and why I will never use them again -- so with that being said, what is your reply Verizon?

Labels (2)
Re: HUGE problem with data usage on the 5c!!
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Here's my well thought out answer.  Leave everything on except cellular data. Only turn that on when you need it when no WiFi.  I do this with no worries about data usage

0 Likes
Pdwrhnd

I too have to turn cellular data off to solve the data usage issue.  I fear it is not a Verizon issue, it's an Apple issue.  Or, maybe both.  They both want their money out of the deal. Makes me want to go back to my Droid!  I used to be able to watch movies while I waited around for my son and never did I even use 1GB of data.  NO MORE.  I can't even get voicemail messages because my cellular data is off.   Really defeats the purpose of having a smart phone.

0 Likes
gggmmm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, but I think it's BS to have to turn off cellular, NOT get email updated, NOT get texts (NO I do NOT get texts if I have cellular turned OFF and I am NOT on wifi), etc, etc when I did NOT have to do that on the 4.  AND it still eats data when it IS OFF! 

0 Likes
gggmmm
Enthusiast - Level 2

<< Comments removed, please address your moderation concerns to the Verizon Moderator via DM directly >>

Post edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
priceplmbr
Enthusiast - Level 1

priceplmbr                    Sep 5, 2014 9:51 PM                                     (in response to Brezy1013)                     

I have been with Verizon for a long time! I have never had any issues with them till now! I had 5 phones. 3 flip (Samsung Convoy) for my wife and my son and myself. 2 smart phones for my daughters (Iphone 4s and Samsung galaxy) all on a 2GB plan. RARELY had any overages, but if I did it, was with my daughters Samsung android. (which she paid for.)  2 weeks ago my wife finally upgraded to smart phones! I got the iphone 5c and she got the Droid Max. We upgraded the plan to the more everything blah blah blah thing and got 10GB of data. should have no problems with data now right? WRONG! After 14 days I have used 5GB!!!! of data between the 4!!! of us (Daughter with iphone 4s went on her boyfriends plan). 1.5 GB with Samsung, .25GB with the Droid and the rest of the data is with the iphone 5c!!!!!!!!!!! Been told all the same things everyone else has been told by these clowns at VERIZON. (Paid for smart phones so I can turn off the smart?) So first chance I get I will join all the other unhappy customers and go elsewhere. But I do think the suggestion of filing a complaint with the BBB, FCC, CPA, and the Michigan Attorney Generals Office is an excellent option to take these criminals to task for stealing excessive overage $$$$$ from loyal customers and playing dumb about not being able to fix it!!!!

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Well turn off the lte for now at least.  Settings cellular lte. Turn off and monitor usage should go way down.

0 Likes
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

Whoever is using that 5c is using a lot of cellular data. That means they are doing a lot off wifi. Could be videos or streaming music. You can set restrictions on that phone in Settings>General>Restrictions. You would need to be the only one with the passcode. There's nothing wrong with the phone or with Verizon's service. The user of that 5c is to blame. My Wife uses a 5c, but used less than 200 mb if data per month. She stays on wifi. I have 4 lines that share 4 gb of data. We rarely use 2 gb.

0 Likes
Planetkimi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand completely and am going thru the same thing. Our data went from 10-12 gyg per month to 24+ Gyg a month! Theee months now and it keeps going up and we are barely on them! Saw a commercial for sprint a few min ago. They'll buy out your contract up to 10 lines for 100/mo til 2015. Our bill jumped from it's outrageously high 450/mo to almost 600 just from new phones and they don't believe me

0 Likes
Planetkimi
Enthusiast - Level 2

We don't have a home computer and can't afford wifi too. We've used only our cellular data for 2 years, and with 6 lines on the account, always stayed between 10-12 gygs a month. Our last 3 bills have said we are using 24 plus per month. It doubled! Funny. 3 months ago we all got iPhone 5c. My daughters total jumped from 3/mo to 10 plus! They said she was on the internet more. If anything she's on less because she's in school and works FT. Over a month ago one of our lines went back to a galaxy, is going on just as much, and her data usage dropped over half! There's way more I can say, like a brand new tablet that we used twice at a friends on wifi setting it up, then left the charger there and the tablets were OFF for a week but online data usage shows there was activity and somehow they each used about half a gyg. In a week! Two times using wifi! Then a week Off! How Verizon? Explain it!

0 Likes