Got a new Iphone 5, debating whether to activate it.
navarroj

Since first pre ordering it, I've been having second thoughts. I've been starring at my phone all day but don't want to open. If I activate it, I will be pay 30 dollars extra for the next two years($720), and losing my unlimited data. I'm not that worried about the data, more about my bills going up. I'm even thinking about just going with another carrier. Anyone else having this issue and what did you do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Got a new Iphone 5, debating whether to activate it.
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

You already paid the $200 plus $30 activation fee to get the phone. When you think about it, $30 is not that big of a deal but if you're worried about that I doubt you would have a problem selling it but you will have to remember no matter what you do you will have to wait 2 years to get another subsidized phone under that line.

0 Likes
Re: Got a new Iphone 5, debating whether even activating it.
benf207
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whatever you choose to do keep this in mind:

"Verizon's early termination fee is $175 for standard devices and $350 for advanced devices like smartphones. Like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint, Verizon gives you a discount based on how many months of the contract you've fulfilled. For each month you've fulfilled in your cell contract, the ETF you'd pay to cancel goes down by $10 for an advanced device, or $5 for a standard device. You'll take a little bit less of a hit if you terminate your contract immediately after you start it. You can end your contract for any reason during the first 14 days, but you'll have to return the device, for which you'll pay a $35 restocking fee ($70 for netbooks and tablets)."

From: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/guide-cell-phone-carrier-early-termination-fees-20213729...

0 Likes
navarroj

I haven't opened it yet. I saw cricket is selling the iphone 5 for 499 and an unlimited everything plan for 55 dollars a month. That sounds too good. I would have to give up 4g but at least I wouldn't get screwed paying more and getting stuck on that horrible plan. It just doesn't work well for an individual.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If 4G isn't a big deal for you  and you're willing to pay $499 why not buy an iPhone4 or 4s and pay full retail...or even opt for fill retail of the 5....then you will keep your unlimited and your bill should be the same. I say this only because based on your willingness to pay $499  it seems like it's not a stretch for you to pay full retail. Just something to consider

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Well we definitely don't want to lose you as a customer navarroj. I hope that you've decided to stick with us by now and you're enjoying the amazing 4G LTE network on your new iPhone 5.

Did you know that you don't have to change to the Share Everything plan? It's a great plan, but it sounds like you may end up benefitting from just changing from the $29.99 Unlimited Data to the $30.00 for 2GB plan so there's no large increase in monthly access. A good majority of customers don't even need 2 GB each month, especially with the phone's ability to use WiFi connections as they become available.

Or, as another option, you can chose to purchase the iPhone at the full retail price without a new contract and just keep your data plan as-is. The data plan would only need to be changed from Unlimited if you chose to update at the subsidized price.

We're here for you if you have any more questions.

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
tracet

Just activate it and suck it up. The phone rocks and you will love it im sure. If youre worried about the bill, get a bigger data plan.

0 Likes