Does Verizon have unlimited text?
elizabethdels

It seems that Verizon falsely advertises unlimited text - but it requires data to send and receive texts.  It uses a lot of data for texting.  Therefore it is not unlimited.

Does anyone else find this to be true?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does Verizon have unlimited text?
Snn5
Legend

Text is unlimited on most every type of account plan.  Text uses data, but that data does not count towards the data allowance on plans with unlimited texting, to include Loyalty and Individual lines as well as More Everything lines.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Not only does texting not count against your data even if it did text messages use at most 160 bytes. You'd have to send and receive at least 6 million text messages a month to use 1 GB. There are only 2.6 million seconds in a month. You'd have to send and receive 6000 a month to exceed 1 MB which is nothing.

Even on MMS that max file size is 1.2 MB. So you'd have to send and receive at least 800 total per month to exceed 1 GB.

Tidbits
Legend

Don't mix up iMessages and SMS text messages. One uses data and has no relation to your text plan and is an Apple service. iMessages doesn't compress photos and uses data. The SMS/MMS/IMS uses you text pool and if you send MMS it is compressed to send and the data used isn't used against your data.

Blue = iMessages uses data bucket

Green = SMS/MMS/IMS uses text bucket

It's not false advertising.

karlhambrecht

So, iMessages do use data? Sending photos and videos by iMessage must use a lot. 

0 Likes
karlhambrecht

Semantics. It is false advertising if it is not clear to the user. I’ve been using my iPhone to send texts/messages including videos on Verizon for years. Often running over my 2 GB. It is not clear when I look at my data usage if some of it is iMessages. Does sending and receiving iMessages videos burn data? Or doesn’t it?

0 Likes
KH-cathy29811

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes