Do text messages and voice calls count as "data" Plus other questions
frillybob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know this has probably been asked but do texts and voice calls count as data? And If i turn off data completly can I still receive texts and voice calls. Also has the wifi bug that charges data been fixed yet? I'm supposes to get my iPhone shipped by the 2nd of November and want these questions ironed out in case it ships early. Thanks!

Labels (1)
Re: Do text messages and voice calls count as "data" Plus other questions
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Some say that the data/wifi bug hasn;t been fixed with the carrier update yet...I personally have not seen the bug on my end. I have an unlimited data plan though so it doesn't affect me either was BUT I have been monitoring my data usage to see if it matches the huge usage numbers others have seen. It has not so I can say for me and my family the issue doesn't exist. Not sure if our location would have anything to do with it, but no one else that I know on VZW in my city with iPhones (4/4s/5) using iOS 6 has had the issue. So right now...it's hard to say if you'll have the issue or not. But based on the posts that are out there you shouldn't be surprised if you do see it.

0 Likes
frillybob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the answer can u tell me if data is used for phone/text messages? And can I have data off and still receive them? (I know I can't get emails)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Technically voice and text are data but they are not counted as such. They are counted as voice and text. That's why you have minute and texting plans. And yes you can turn off data and still use the voice and texting features. Eventually everything is just going to be counted as data but that is several years away.

Even if they did count as data you could send 6.7 MILLION texts( non picture/video ) before using 1 GB of data. You could use over 5000 minutes before using 1 GB of data on voice calls. But as I said they don't count as data.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

However, you can't send/receive picture messages over wifi, you have to be connected to Verizon's data service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Frillybob!

I can clarify!  As Brian68 mentioned voice and text does not count as data.  Voice and text usage will deduct from your voice and message plan only.  Yes, you can turn off data and make/send & receive calls and text.  The wifi data usage concern has been addressed by the ios6 update.  Please let me know if you need any additional assistance.  Thank you.

Tominque B
VZW Support
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

You can send and recieve all texts messages (including pictures and videos) to another apple product over wifi with iMessage. I know at least all iphone 5's and the 4s and 4 can with ios6 installed. You will know when you are using iMessage because the border around your textes will be blue instead of green. Go to settings, messages and make sure iMessage is on. You can save on cellular data when you are texting with other apple products by turning your wifi on.....just make sure you have a blue border around the text. Another option is to turn off your cellular data if texting with another iphone, etc. It is great if you happen to have a limited data plan and send alot of pictures or videos to other iphone, ipad or ipod users.

http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

0 Likes
LuvMyLabs
Contributor - Level 1

Where is the ios 6 update? There is no ios 6 update so the data issue HAS NOT been fixed.

Verizon sent out a carrier update that did not work.

0 Likes
dme1279

I just got my iPhone 5 a couple days ago. I unless I have cellular data on, I cannot receive picture messages, and my sent usage keeps going up even when I am doing nothing. Is there an update I should do even though my phone was just shipped to me 4 days ago?

Thank you.

0 Likes