Data useage
Zman13

if I turn off my cellular data in settings when streaming audio, will that save my data from being used up

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data useage
Snn5
Legend

Zman13 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply concerning Data.  I'm not tech savy but if you will, let me explain.

I have a basic 2GB data plan and I do not use my iPhone for a lot of streaming (Games, Videos, etc).

I bought an app to a news radio station thinking if I buy the  app (2.99), I will by pass the data plan.

I listen to it constantly....maybe 8 hours a day.  Is that eating up my data plan?

It only eats your data plan when you listen to it on Mobile Data.

I do have wifi, but I have never gone into settings and turned off the cellular data and listened  through the wifi in the house.  I just thought the wifi took over automatically.  (you can tell I'm not in the digital world).

WiFi DOES take over if it is enabled and you have a working connection to the Internet.

I just want to listen to this news station and NOT eat up my data plan.  I only listen when in the house near with wifi

available...just haven't been switching of the cellular data setting.

It's OK that you keep cellular data on with WiFi, a WiFi takes precedence.

Can I save my data plan by doing this and listen as  much as I want to?

As long as you stay on WiFi you save data.

Sorry for being such a novice 🙂

Thanks for the reply

bf

Only thing I might add is, iPhones are known to disconnect from WiFi if left idle for long periods of time.  If you know you will be at home or near WiFi for extended periods, you might wish to turn off cellular data.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

It will if you have wifi on and connected.  Without WiFi, you wont have streaming if the mobile data is off.

0 Likes
Zman13

Thanks for the quick reply concerning Data.  I'm not tech savy but if you will, let me explain.

I have a basic 2GB data plan and I do not use my iPhone for a lot of streaming (Games, Videos, etc). 

I bought an app to a news radio station thinking if I buy the  app (2.99), I will by pass the data plan.

I listen to it constantly....maybe 8 hours a day.  Is that eating up my data plan?

I do have wifi, but I have never gone into settings and turned off the cellular data and listened  through the wifi in the house.  I just thought the wifi took over automatically.  (you can tell I'm not in the digital world).

I just want to listen to this news station and NOT eat up my data plan.  I only listen when in the house near with wifi

Thanks for the reply

bf

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Zman13 wrote:

It only eats your data plan when you listen to it on Mobile Data.

WiFi DOES take over if it is enabled and you have a working connection to the Internet.

It's OK that you keep cellular data on with WiFi, a WiFi takes precedence.

As long as you stay on WiFi you save data.

Thanks for the reply

bf

Only thing I might add is, iPhones are known to disconnect from WiFi if left idle for long periods of time.  If you know you will be at home or near WiFi for extended periods, you might wish to turn off cellular data.

catchick30

I have been having the same issue BUT, it only started a few days ago. I have had my note 4 for months and it was not an issue. The only thing that i did different this week was use my s voice. I went into settings and s voice and went back to default. Data has stayed off, so that tells me it is something within the settings of s voice which i will no longer be using to avoid this issue.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I don't see how S voice uses much data at all, no more that LG Q Voice or OK Google, or anytime you use speech to text.

0 Likes
catchick30

So sorry, was trying to reply on thread about mobile data turning on by

itself.

0 Likes