Data Usage
dec458

My daughter has an IPhone 5.  She over ran her data plan this month which is very very rare.  I was looking at her data usage and it shows her using data while she is asleep at 3:00 a.m. in the morning while she is at home connected to WIFI.  How can this be?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see how that data would be concerning, dec458. By design, Apple devices will turn off WiFi when left dormant. So when a phone is on the nightstand not in use, mobile data takes over for the background data. In move cases this will be small amounts. A few emails that come in or notifications from applications. You can avoid the unwanted data by going to Settings > Cellular and adjusting the applications that are set to use cellular data. You can also go to Settings>General >Background App Refresh to turn off applications that will refresh their content even when the phone isn't in use.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see how that data would be concerning, dec458. By design, Apple devices will turn off WiFi when left dormant. So when a phone is on the nightstand not in use, mobile data takes over for the background data. In move cases this will be small amounts. A few emails that come in or notifications from applications. You can avoid the unwanted data by going to Settings > Cellular and adjusting the applications that are set to use cellular data. You can also go to Settings>General >Background App Refresh to turn off applications that will refresh their content even when the phone isn't in use.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes