Re: Data Usage accruing while on WiFi?
JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Totally false - we now know that iMessage uses data, and if iMessage disabled, any MMS requires "cellular data" to be enabled and it will ALWAYS 100% subtract from your data usage - no exceptions..

0 Likes
basil1091
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am having this problem on just one of my IPhone 5's.  We have two  5's and a 5c.  We used to have 2 GB and barely hit that but when I got  my 5c I upped it to 4GB.  Just in the last month or so the data usage on  my son's phone has skyrocketed.  He is in school full time during the  week and his phone is off.  I see that we're getting cellular hits at  night when he's at home.  Yes Verizon told me the same thing, turn off  cellular data when at home but as everyone has pointed out you miss MMS  messages and picture messages if you do.  I most recently noticed the  data skyrocket when he was at home over Christmas break.  I have alerts  set on our phone and we hit 75% before I knew it.  I did a speed test  from the phone with wifi and the data and the data is much faster but I  was told by Apple in the beginning if wifi is available then the phone  will use wifi. When it's using the cellular data it still shows the WIFI  symbol, but there is not LTE or any symbol saying it's using data.

0 Likes
JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Excellent point - if we want to force our iPhones to use nothing but WIFI when we are home, the only way to ensure that is to disable "cellular data". But then - we can't send or receive MMS...    You can't make up just how stupid this is. In my industry (Financial, Senior IT project manager) if I rolled out a feature to our customers that did this, I and anyone responsible would be fired for sure.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You state you have only had the smartphone for only 10 days, so as of yet it appears you have NOT proved it false. I never said it wouldn't show up in your usage. I said it wouldn't count against your allowance. Big difference. The phone has a number counter which measures the data sent/received by your phone. This is NOT an accounting of what data you have been billed for, though.

Until you have actually received a bill which includes charges for MMS sent/received by your phone while on an unlimited Verizon messging plan, you have proven nothing. I have had smartphones for far longer than 10 days, closer to 10 years. In all that time, IF my MMS was included in my data usage statistics on my "bills", my data usage would have been FAR greater than what I normally average in any given month. In MY case, I have proven that my MMS usage HAS NOT been counted towards my data allowance.

Additionally, I am not saying it is right, but you WILL get conflicting statements from different agents when asking a question. I prefer to go by what is listed in the plan descriptions which can be seen below. This is for Share Everything, but when I was on the Nationwide Family Share 1400 minute Talk & Text plan, the texting details were similar.

Good luck.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

0 Likes
JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ah - well that almost makes sense (but still stinks to high heaven). Just because I see it subtracting data (same day stats), does not mean i will be charged for same data on my bill?   Thank you rcschnoor - I hope you are correct when it comes to final bill.   Much better if true, but still a major issue turning off cellular data when on WIFI and preventing one's self from sending/receiving MMS.     They really need to fix that and alleviate billing MMS confusion.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Never said it was a perfect system. There are MANY things with Verizon which I think CAN and SHOULD be done differently.

0 Likes
JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I documented/filed this with the better business bureau (all of it). Hope it makes a difference. I don't like being over a barrel, and I am sure nobody else does either.  Imagine the genious that thought this through - "hey when the iPhone goes to sleep, it will use CELLULAR DATA instead of WIFI, which means we make more money. AND - if we make all MMS use Cellular Data, then they will have to keep Cellular Data on, because who will be able to keep track with all the cellular data on/off toggling back in forth! "  That person probably got promoted - in my line of work, would be FIRED.

I suspect that Verizon support is now painted in a corner on this - the jig is up, there is nothing they can fix (themselves).  I don't see any responses so I will assume there is nothing more they can do.

0 Likes
Not applicable

When both my iPhone's go to sleep they are still on my WiFi. I use a network Genie interface and it (They) are still on WiFi and not cellular data.

I can post a screen shot if necessary.

However I assign my devices their own ip addresses, that may be the difference

Good Luck

Message was edited by: Elector

0 Likes
Not applicable

See photo attached. Both phones are on wifi and never go to cellular.

0 Likes
Delffs
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is how all iPhones operate and it is a problem that occurs when the unit is in sleep mode.  It automatically uses the cellular connection for updates......in order to reduce the data useage you can shut off apps that you do not want to have running in the background.  Unless you have done this before there are many apps that are running that you may not even use.  See this link http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/monitor-app-data-usage-ios-7-disable-data-hungry-apps-from-sucking...