Re: Data Usage accruing while on WiFi?
wethen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have already done that and everything else Verizon has suggested yet still using excessive data when should be connected to wifi!

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
annie202
Enthusiast - Level 3

After talking with almost a dozen different VZ techs, going to a VZ store to get help (she gave me a number to call!), going to Best Buy to talk with a different VZ rep, getting a different iPhone (which didn't help so I went back to my previous one), and doing hours and hours of research/reading/posting etc., online, I've come to this conclusion:

First, I'm talking about an iPhone, so don't know if other operating systems are having this issue....VZ knows exactly what the problem is ~ it's in Apple's software. I fear it's designed this way to create data overages which causes the customer to either up their data package or pay the fee.  Verizon gets richer. 

It's unfortunate that we, the customers, have to take those extra steps in turning 'CELLULAR DATA' to OFF each time we enter a WiFi area.  Sorry peeps, you cannot tell me that Apple can't design something in their software that would identify when you're in a WiFi area and automatically shut that feature off to save data/use WiFi. The iPhone can do just about anything, why not that?

From everything I've learned, that's the only way to save data usage, turn off cellular data when in WiFi.  Bummer it has to be that way. Hoping the new iOS7 will have a fix but I highly doubt it from all the reading I've been doing.

wethen
Enthusiast - Level 2

If it's Apple then why do people with AT&T Cspire etc not have the same issue??? I have been with Verizon 20 years and I am about to switch to another carrier . If they can't fix the problem then I want my unlimited plan back

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
annie202
Enthusiast - Level 3

wethen,

Just want to be clear this is just my findings.  It may not pertain to all phones/carriers.  Altho, I have read on several threads that many AT&T customers DO have the same problem.  I've not heard of Cspire so can't comment. 

I, too, have been with Verizon since they were AirTouch.  I'd hate to switch because I've never had a problem with them until now. 

Good luck to you.

0 Likes
wethen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks and I hope for our sakes this gets solved

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
a-Stockholder
Enthusiast - Level 1

People buy  I-phones to use data, and should not have the hassle of turning them on and off based on based on going into or out of a wifi network.

I track comments on boards like this to see when companies are violating the fundamental customer value proposition. Given the comments on the Verizon boards about this problem, it is time to sell the stock. The next winner in the cellular space will be the carrier that fulfills the value proposition and (again) delivers unlimited data service.

MooreUSN

Unfortunately, Verizon cannot fix this issue, I have a 5s and believe me I have the same problem.  Problem is the iPhone 5, and I believe the HTC One and maybe a few others, have an internal software algorithm which will automatically choose what it feels is the best connection for speed, 9/10 times it seems it will choose LTE over just about any WiFi connection.  I never had an issue with my 4s but then again my 4s wasn't LTE compatible. I don't understand Apple's well if it goes into sleep mode it will suspend WiFi to save battery, my experience is WiFi has been more power efficient than LTE, but that's just me. If you dont use your phone to watch YouTube or browse the internet regularly outside of a WiFi zone you can try turning off LTE, this should help that little internal calculator see your WiFi as a better service. Also I would recommend going into Settings>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage> and setting it to Don't Send. (That's the "Help Apple improve its products" option) Let's face it, if Apple really cared about quality and performance they'd listen to their customers a little more and maybe say, oh i dunno, adding a setting for "Strictly use WiFi when connected to a network" option so we don't have to change settings every time we leave our home. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
JacquieMS
Enthusiast - Level 1

After reading through some of the posts here, I am discovering that I am not alone in the "gotcha" that iPhones + Verizon will use Cellular Data even when in WiFi.  This has only started becoming a problem in the last 2 months (Nov 2013 and Dec 2013) and was first discovered on the iPhone 4 in our home.  The iPhone 5 in the household uses SOME Cellular data during the night, but not as much as the 4.   If this continues, I will just plan to shop for a new carrier that offers unlimited data when my contract is up later this year.   It should not be required to turn off cellular data each and every time I'm in a wifi area.

Not applicable

JacquieMS wrote:

After reading through some of the posts here, I am discovering that I am not alone in the "gotcha" that iPhones + Verizon will use Cellular Data even when in WiFi.  This has only started becoming a problem in the last 2 months (Nov 2013 and Dec 2013) and was first discovered on the iPhone 4 in our home.  The iPhone 5 in the household uses SOME Cellular data during the night, but not as much as the 4.   If this continues, I will just plan to shop for a new carrier that offers unlimited data when my contract is up later this year.   It should not be required to turn off cellular data each and every time I'm in a wifi area.

Good luck with that. T-Mobile supposedly has unlimited data. Of course you'll pay $650 for that Iphone since they no longer offer subsidies. You can also go with Sprint. As we all know both T-Mobile and Sprint has cruddy coverage. Of course that's assuming either still has unlimited data by the time you switch. Unlimited data is not sustainable so the answer is no. if they do expect awfully data rates as everyone tries to use unlimited data and a very limited resource.

By the way why not just get an Android. No one I know with an Android has these issues.

0 Likes
Safetyguy21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both my kids have a Nokia Lumia 928.  Both have similar issues as the OP. Our detailed usage shows interesting patterns, like big data hits exactly 6 hours apart. i.e. at 6:45 pm, then 12:45 am, then 6:45 am and finally 12:45 pm.  I'll check with them and they will either be at home on wifi (sometimes asleep) or in class It's frustrating to see these big data hits when we have to essentially stop using data the last week of a month to keep from going over our allowance