Re: Anyone who activated iPhone 5 on upgrade line and tried to switch to another line and got a 24 hour wait?
ah5289

Hi guys,

it worked for me. I was told 24 hrs by CS too. However, you can just go to your verizon wireless account and click on switch devices. be sure to use the numbers on your receipt (IMEI, ICCID)

0 Likes
Re: Anyone who activated iPhone 5 on upgrade line and tried to switch to another line and got a 24 hour wait?
iDroid
Contributor - Level 3

Was your phone active on the first line when you did this or did you de avctivate t 5 then activate after a few hours to the new number?

0 Likes
Drinkie46
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got up and tried online activation to my new iPhone 5 out of shear frustration did not want to wait until 1pm (24 hour story Verizon told me) it appeared to work and my phone is on line, just restoring from iCloud now...... Not sure whether Verizon cannot count to 24 or they have random overnight pushes or updates to their systems and mine happened to clear whatever hurdles there were, but so far so good.....

0 Likes
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

There was no need to activate the 5 on the upgrade line. Some reps were clueless. I had my 5 activated on my line in about 10 minutes maintaining unlimited.

I purchased the 5 for a basic line to get the upgrade price. My line has unlimited with the 4S and was not eligible. I first got a rep who was incorrect telling me I first had to activate the 5 on the basic line and then switch. NO. I called back and got a rep that knew what she was doing. I did not have to do anything with the basic line, Working with the rep I was able to activate the 5 on my unlimited line without loosing the unlimited. Since I never activated the 5 on the basic line, the data plan for the basic line did not kick in. The basic phone is now on a 2 year agreement but since my mother-in-law uses the basic phone and could not deal with a smart phone, no problem. My 4S will soon be on my wife's line so she will get the 2GB data plan at $30 per month. I will be able to do that easily online.  If at first you get a clueless rep, hang up and call back.

1-800-922-0204

0 Likes
Anyone who activated iPhone 5 on upgrade line and tried to switch to another line and got a 24 hour wait?
Drinkie46
Enthusiast - Level 2

Restoring from backup now, after getting up frustrated this morning and trying the onlin activation - all worked and no need to talk to one of the reps who would have given me a story that may or may not have been true! Seems like it is something to do with updates to the Verizon back end servers overnight - phone is up and working and sim clearly did not need to be replaced - its been a ridiculous story of miss information from the Verizon reps, thanks to this forum I made progress, it just should not be this hard with such a huge release!

0 Likes
radnj1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

let me share my horrid experience with the reps as it seems that even a day later, the confusion continues. I didn't receive my iphone until after 6pm eastern by UPS (I am from NJ). I was initially told by both Apple and Verizon prior to yesterday that I would be able to simply active the phone on whichever line I wanted BEFORE turning the phone on by calling VZW directly when I received the device. So, I called 10 minutes later and the first rep attempted to help me (as I heard the papers shuffling in the background) telling me I had to activate it on the device I purchased the unit on and wait 24 hours to then swap it back to the line I wanted the phone activated on. I told him "NO" that's not correct -- Was told I could activate directly on any device of my choosing so far as I did so before turning the device "on" and i requested he escalate to his supervisor. Waited a few moments and then was told the same story, but in different words. I Said then "OK. I'll try later then" and hung up. I then attempted to contact another rep about an hour later -- she seemed much more helpful, but again, was unable to help. She told me essentially their systems had a glitch and was having issues processing transfer activations, so I should just simply wait 24-48 hours and then try to active directly on the line I wanted. I thanked her and hung up. Frustrated, I said let me see if I can just activate this device on my own without anyone's help. So, I pulled out the nano sim card on the iPhone5 and copied down the serial # (it is printed right on the top of it) and then inserted it back.. and subsequently logged into the VZW web site and clicked 'Activate' device. I selected the # I wanted to activate on, typed in the serial and voila! The system said that my phone was activated. Naturally with all of the activations going on this took a bit longer than normal. I verified the activation did indeed to take place because my old device was immediately deactivated. I proceeded to turn on the iphone5 after about an hour or so, to allow for the activation process to settle into their system and proceeded to turn on the device and follow through the initial iphone screens. Note, at the last screen it says that I'm activating on (XXXXXX - number that I upgraded on) which was incorrect, but said to contact verzion wireless to swap the #. I accpeted the terms of agreement and proceeded to restore the device from icloud. In about 15-20 mins afterwards, my device was fully activated on the device I was intending to activate without any interruption to the other line of service.  Synoposis of the story don't turn phone on, pull nano sim out and write number down, go on verizonwireless and activate from there, wait some period of time, turn device on and you should be golden. It's surprising to me how much chaos and confusion is going on at the support center, whereas someone like me who doesn't work for vzw or had any knowledge on processes and procedures for this new phone was able to simply activate a device on my own with no help from anyone.

0 Likes
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is it really necessary to pull the SIM card to get the serial #? Is that number different than the ICCID number that's on the customer receipt that came with the phone?

I want to try and do what you did, but I think I'm going to wait a day or two for everything to settle out.

I'm out of town for the weekend and can't risk being without a phone (plus I want to make sure I use the proper method that doesn't wipe out my unlimited data plan).

0 Likes
radnj1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

my order didn't come with the sim # printed out on the invoice (probably becauseI ordered from apple directly), and from experience I knew the 4g sim cards (nano or not) have the serial printed on them. The 2nd rep essentially told me the same "it's possible but I'd wait a few days and try again"  -- they are probably slammed with too many support calls and not enough knowledge. I, unfortunately, needed to have the phone active before today because I'm on a 12 hour conference call for work and required a functional device without interruption to the other device..  As for the unlimited versus the shared, I had actually migrated to the share everything plan when it was introduced because I have several devices on my account and this plan actually winds up being cheaper for me and I have yet to go over the 10g allotment of data.  Good luck!! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Bringy

I got my new iphone 5 since yesterday 1pm and still not activated yet. I been to the store, and called on the phone and nothing works. I reset it so many times but I keep getting the message that my iphone is not activated. This is the 2nd sim card. Now they told me to replace the whole device. I can't even connect to wifi or do anything except stay on the home screen. On the top left corner, all I see is 3g and 4 bars but no cellular data. Any ideas?? I guess I'll try to replace it but then I have to wait...

0 Likes
napereira
Enthusiast - Level 3

The SIM card number is longer than what is allowed under activate this device.  It cuts off the last digits.  How did you activate with SIM number??

0 Likes