Re: Anyone who activated iPhone 5 on upgrade line and tried to switch to another line and got a 24 hour wait?
tanishas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hello Everyone,

If you wish to transfer your service and phone number from one 4G LTE phone to another, the simplest

way to do so is generally by moving your SIM card from the first phone to the second.

However, because the SIM card in your iPhone 5 is different from the SIM card in other Verizon 4G LTE devices, the SIM cards are not interchangeable.

If you have already activated your new iPhone 5 and you wish to move it to a different mobile number;  remove the sim card; wait 24 hours; then follow these steps:

Step Go to verizonwireless.com/activatenow and sign in to My Verizon (as the Account Owner or

Account Manager).

Step Select a line (if applicable) and click Next.

Step Follow instructions for Backup Assistant∞.

• If Backup Assistant is already installed, click the Back Up Phone Now button.

• If eligible for Backup Assistant, click the Install Backup Assistant button and follow the

steps to install from device.

• If NOT eligible for Backup Assistant, click the appropriate Operating System link and

follow the steps.

Step Select Next.

Step Type the Device ID (ESN, MEID or IMEI). Select Submit.

Step Type the SIM ID Code (located on the label of the box). Select Next.

Step Select the check box for the desired feature(s). Click Continue.

Step Review and confirm the selected updates. Select Submit.

Thank you,

TanishaS_VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Message was edited by: Tanisha

0 Likes
Re: Anyone who activated iPhone 5 on upgrade line and tried to switch to another line and got a 24 hour wait?
pemoe26
Enthusiast - Level 3

If only this were true, Tasha. Many of us waited the mysterious 24 hours only to come to find it's 24 hours from when the iPhone was DEactivated - aka ANOTHER 24 hours for many of us. So, 48 hours no phone thanks to the horrid miscommunucation from your reps.

wondertwinpower
Enthusiast - Level 2

pemoe26 is correct. The 24 hours STARTS when you remove the sim card completely from the iPhone 5 (not 24 hours after it is activated).

0 Likes
wondertwinpower
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is this labeled as the "correct answer"?!? There is a step missing! It should say "after 24 hours AFTER REMOVING THE SIM CARD FROM THE IPHONE5 please follow these steps:"

pemoe26
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think the phone needs to be completely deactivated (ex: put the line on a dummy ESN) for the 24 hour thing. Does taking the SIM out deactivate it?

yr2615
Contributor - Level 1

This is incorrect information, Tanisha.  It's been over 24 hours and my iPhone 5 still cannot be activated by following the steps you provided, or by calling Verizon.  I just called AGAIN and both reps I talked to told me that I have to wait 48 hours now to activate the phone.  I asked them why many people in my situation were able to activate theirs in less than 24 hours and they had no answer.  This is the most frustrating cell phone related issue I've ever had to deal with.  I don't understand why Verizon was not better prepared. I'm tired of getting incorrect information, or no information at all, from every rep I've spoken to in the past couple of days.    

yr2615
Contributor - Level 1

Spot on pemoe26.  Somehow I knew that when the 24 hours was up, nothing would change.  7 a.m. tomorrow will be 24 hours since I deactivated the phone.  Nothing else to do but wait until then.  Although, I was given a B.S. attempt at a glimmer of hope by the last rep I talked to...he said that according to some email they received, customers can activate their phones at 12:01 eastern time.  I don't know what magic is going to happen between now and then, but I'll try anyway at 9 p.m. (I'm on the west coast).  I'll let you know if anything happens, but don't hold your breath!

pemoe26
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm on the west coast too. Thanks for the heads up on the 9:01 I will definitely try it, but like you, am not expecting much.

0 Likes
iDroid
Contributor - Level 3

In my experience the 5 was activated once received at about 9:45 am 9/21 the de activated or removed from the line it was upgraded on and activated on so the 5 was without service from then until 6:30 am this morning (California) I logged into my verizon and clicked activate device punched in the phone and sim info and picked data and submited and it worked.

I hope this helps anyone who has not got there phone to the right number I know how frustrationg this is!

pemoe26
Enthusiast - Level 3

iDroid, did you also remove the SIM?

0 Likes