American Express Warning!!
JamieFarFromHome
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you paid for your iPhone 5 preorder with an American Express card, beware that they are flagging some of the transactions as fraudulent.  The CSR at American Express told me that she had spoken with at least 10 people over the last 2 days that had transactions declined with fraud holds.

Verizon is billing the cards using a different company - Cellco, or something similar.

If your order has not been processed yet, I recommend that you call American Express and tell them about the preorder.  If they flag the transaction as fraudulent, Verizon (Cellco) will not be able to get an authorization on your card and you will lose your place in the order queue.  With something like this, you don't want to lose your place in the order queue, and a quick phone call to American Express should prevent that from happening.  All you need to do is tell the CSR that you preordered a device, and that they should expect to see the charge.  If you can give them the amount of the charge, that would be even better.

Just a friendly warning...

Jamie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: American Express Warning!!
Leminkel
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is not just AMEX. This is whatever payment option you used to purchase your new phone. I used my checking card (bank account) to pre order two iPhones, they ran my card repeatedly at least 13 times (per my bank) - and 5 transactions went through. I was billed twice for one phone and three times for another phone. My bank put a fraud hold on my account as well and I am now dealing with getting these charges reversed, fees dropped, and how in the world Verizon can get away with such negligent behavior. This totalled almost $1000 for the 3 "extra" phones they billed me for. I'm absolutely furious. I spoke with a Verizon rep yesterday who gave me the most insightful information, "Yea, a lot of people have been calling and saying this." and that was ALL she could offer me.

Good luck to all of you trying to get these new phones that have had funding issues or transactions cancelled - it's all Verizon's fault because of the way they are billing. My bank believes that if your card doesn't go through fast enough (which apparently no one's did) they are automatically re running it. That is why this is happening.

0 Likes
JamieFarFromHome
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow!

I had no idea the problem was more widespread.  American Express has some of the most advanced fraud detection systems available, so I'm actually kicking myself for not thinking to call them and pre-authorize before the pre-order hit my card.  It would've saved me a lot of frustration.

I spoke with a supervisor at Verizon customer service, and she also told me that there was nothing she could do about it.  Her tone was actually a little chiding, so I plan to let someone in Verizon management know about it.

American Express told me they flagged my preorder as fraudulent because "Cellco" tried to charge my card twice in less than a minute - the transactions were 22 seconds apart.

I hope you get everything worked out - did you lose your place in the order queue?

0 Likes
cannolisdad

I used my AMEX and my heart sunk when I read your subject.....  I checked my on line account access and Verizon Wireless shows up as a pending charge of $1.00 on the morning of the 14th and for the full amount of 2 phones on Sep 18th. I wanted to use AMEX because of the extended warranty.  I guess I dodged a bullet....

0 Likes
Leminkel
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, luckily I still have my place, and the phones are in transit. My bank originally called me to alert me of fraudulent activity and I ok'd it because there were only to two appropriate charges showing up. That was Tuesday. Since Tuesday evening, I've been billed three more times - twice Tuesday night and once last night. My bank is saying the same thing. They were just running running running the card, not even giving it a chance to go through.

I just got off the phone with another Verizon rep - they are oblivious. LOL, she was able to give me a $10 credit - which sounds pretty nominal - but hey $10 is $10. I'm aggravated that I'm having to deal with this and wait it out, and the best Verizon can say is... sorry! But, it seems that this is why so many people are having cancelled orders. It's just crazy!

0 Likes
JamieFarFromHome
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great!  One of my co-workers also had AmEx put a fraud hold on his order, so I'm glad your order went through without a hitch.

That's the same reason why I wanted to use AmEx.  They also go to bat for you if there are any problems with the order.

0 Likes
JamieFarFromHome
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm glad you got it worked out with Verizon - it would be a huge slap in the face to get hit with those charges AND lose your place in the order queue.

Verizon gave me a free case for each phone for my inconvenience.  🙂

0 Likes
orcon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Odd...

I am looking right now at my AMEX portal and it now shows a pending charge for the full amount of the two phones we ordered. It is clearly marked Verizon as indicated by the screencap.

AMEX_Screenshot.png

0 Likes
Crazycellguy

My discover card did the same thing and  called Verizon and gave them my cc # again.  What a hassle.

0 Likes
bomani1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also had the $1.00 dollar charge as well from cellco on my AmEx card. I have the AAA/ AmEx card. its AAA on one side and AmEx on the back. It's only in New England. It's a cash card and has all the benefits of AmEx. I only loaded the amount of the phone. Only one charge. But my wife on the other hand has the sane card. She was sent a fraud text at 6:30am est on the 14th. I was not. our orders still went, and the phones will be here on friday before 3pm. Everyone should call *611. Just because you dont have a tracking number, it still may ship. I never got the email for tracking. I had to call *611, and it told me  my tracking number was on the verizon web page, and I had to go to the fedex page and get my oun info to track.

0 Likes