After upgrading to 8.1, my network is stuck in "Extended" instead of "Verizon." Battery life is also POOR now
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I get it back to Verizon? Tried all the usual fixes, aka resetting network settings etc. Also, my battery life is now VERY POOR. Please help! It seems both Verizon and Apple do not know who is to blame for this issue, as each blames it either on the carrier or the software update. Currently, there seems to be only a fix for the iphone 6. Thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: After upgrading to 8.1, my network is stuck in "Extended" instead of "Verizon." Battery life is also POOR now
Okheregoes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Whatevz... which device are you using?  iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, or 5s?  If you are using a device with anything less than 16GB, I wouldn't update to Apple's latest software.  What Apple failed to tell you is that if you are using an 8GB device, their operating system takes up between 4-5GB, leaving you not much room for pics or apps and slowing the phones down a lot.  Also, I would try to do a network reset (not factory reset).  Go to settings, general, scroll to the bottom and find reset.

IF that fails to fix the issue you may want to consider doing a factory reset, but make sure your data is backed up to iCloud. I know the issues can be frustrating...

Mike

0 Likes
Re: After upgrading to 8.1, my network is stuck in "Extended" instead of "Verizon." Battery life is also POOR now
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 5c.

I don't have performance issues, just poor battery life and I cannot get back on "Verizon" network. It will only show "Extended" as my network coverage.

0 Likes
Okheregoes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, then for sure try a Network Reset.  Sometimes the phones just need to reconnect with the network.  Hopefully that will clear up the "Extended" coverage.

Can I ask you a couple of more questions?  How long have you had the phone?  Have you checked to see if there are any "Network" outages or issues in your area?  What apps are running in the background?  Are you able to double click the home round button on the phone and swipe up (close) any apps that are open?  Is your  Display set to automatic?  Those last three questions can lead to poor battery performance. Sorry for the questions, but they are necessary without being able to look at the phone.

0 Likes
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've done a network reset several times. I've had the phone a few months in the same area with no previous network or battery life issues. I am in the middle of very large city with full Verizon coverage, and have been since I owned the phone. It has been stuck on extended since I upgraded, and my room mate who has not upgraded is still on "Verizon," so I know outages are not the issue. I am very good about closing apps. I have done the routine battery usage fixes, such as turning off background refresh, turning off auto-brightness, turning off certain notifications, disabling spotlight search, etc.

Also interesting to note that my usage percentages are now in the 25%+ range for both messages and safari (this is with minimal usage, on a good wifi network!) and 12-18% for home and lock screen. The rest of the usages are in single digit percentages.

0 Likes
Okheregoes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Frustrating!!!

One more idea: Take it to Verizon and ask them to please replace the SIM card in the device.  This might actually fix the issue.

If after changing the SIM, that doesn't work...... I would ask you these questions (then I won't bother you anymore Smiley Happy).... How old is the device?  If it's under a year, then it's covered by mfgs warranty.  Did you buy it at a Verizon store, or somewhere else? Did you happen to purchase insurance on the device? Insurance includes extended warranty coverage (Asurian).  If so, bring it in to Verizon and tell them to replace it.

Let me know if you get it resolved (hopefully).

0 Likes
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've taken the SIM card out, and still on Extended.

I bought this phone from a friend, so no warranty. I've had the phone for a while now with no issues, until I upgraded to 8.1. Since then, I've had this "Extended" network issue and poor battery performance. It was immediately after the upgrade that these issues surfaced. 

From searching on the internet, I am not the only one with this issue. It is either a Verizon network issue or an Apple software issue, but neither seems to be stepping up to claim responsibility or fix it. Thank you for your help so far.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there, whatevz! I understand your concerns surrounding the Extender Network that is displayed. Although it appears as Extended, it should not impact the performance/connection. I would need to review the settings on my end so that I can better assist. I will send you a private message as I need additional information.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
whatevz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, sorry but the private message you sent me looks like a phishing scam. Between the typos and the questionable sentence structure, I'm not comfortable sending my account and password information over a private message.

Seriously though, I am not the only one having this issue after upgrading to iOS 8.1. There is no reason for this type of network problem in a large city with full coverage.

If you really are Verizon support, it shouldn't be too hard to see my account information, since I had to log into My Verizon to even post on this board!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

whatevz,

I do apologize for any network issues that you are having. We are not able to view any customers information on this site. You can always reach out to us directly by dialing *611 from your Verizon Wireless device. Or you can always call toll free at 800-922-0204.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes