Re: Accessive data usage on iPhone 5??!
my73dollys
Contributor - Level 1

I am currently on the Share Everything Plan that I have upgraded to 8 GB where before I was only using just under 4 GB.. Both my IPhone5 & my Jet Pack are on that plan. Still wondering why I am using so much more Data in Sept/Oct than I did for the previous 4 months. I have WiFi turned on my Phone. If my setting were wrong, I need to know so that I can eliminate all the data usage. Thanks

0 Likes
paulvina

I ported over from AT&T after being stationed in an area with no AT&T coverage. I had a 4S and 5S on AT&T with no issues. I've been with Verizon for 7 days and am now over my 2GB plan. In the 15 months I was with AT&T after moving back from Germany I NEVER went over 2GB. EVER. This is my 4th iPhone. I know how to set it up. Nothing about my usage has changed in 4 years. I don't even have the Verizon Backup Assistant app on my phone but yet it's still burning through data. I don't need more data on my plan. I shouldn't have to turn off cellular data when connected to wifi (I never did with my 4S whether it was on iOS 6 or iOS 7 nor my iPhone5S on AT&T). I had 4G LTE with AT&T on my 4S AND 5S (both were on iOS 7) (which was absolutely faster than Verizon, BTW) so I don't want to hear anything about stuff downloading faster and needing to adjust my usage or settings. I use GMail, which has no out box and there are no draft emails either so that's not it. I'm also not going to turn my smartphone into a dumb phone because this issue, the one that "doesn't exist" but has threads on VZW's own forum going back over a year, can't be sorted out. I'll give it a couple of more days but as much as I hate them, I'll probably have to move to an Android phone to resolve this. Maybe I'll be able to talk and use the internet again too...  This is absolutely an issue with the Verizon iPhone 5/5C/5S.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

starsnheaven, we've definitely got some explaining to do. Have you downloaded a few applications to your device? Some applications will run in the background of your device and automatically update when there is a software update available. However, since your device is connected to WiFi, this usage should not be debited from your data allowance. Have you tried powering your device off/on to soft reset it?

Lasina_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad a replacement is on it's way to you, starsnheaven. I do have a few thoughts as to why the data would possibly be higher, which could end up continuing on your replacement if any of these were the case.

By design, the WiFi antenna will go to sleep when the screen goess off in order to conserve battery life. Unless you turn off cellular data (Settings>General>Cellular), applications will continue to push data to your phone when it's sitting on your nightstand dormant. If your phone is in the process of downloading when WiFi turns off (This can be any queued item such as app updates, iCloud downloads/syncing, iTunes Match or Podcast download) the phone will continue the download in progress resulting in higher data usage.

Another thing I've come across is an email stuck in the outbox. If you have an Exchange email account, check your outbox to make sure there is not a stuck email pending. This email will continue to try and resend which will take from the data allowance.

In addition to the ability to turn cellular data on and off for the entire device, iOS devices also have additional cellular data settings for specific services:

Settings>General>Cellular>iTunes: This setting impacts the downloading of iTunes Store content. If you do not wish to download iTunes content over cellular, switch this setting to off.
Settings>iTunes and App Stores>Use Cellular Data: This setting impacts app downloads and app/content updates. If you don't wish to download apps or updates over cellular, switch this setting to off too.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
paulvina

Why didn't any of the previous iPhones turn off wi-fi with the screen? This is my 4th iPhone and I've never had to jump through the hoops I have to no to keep from getting raped on data. Over 2GB in 7 days for someone that has never used more than a 1GB in a month with no changes at all (restored from a backup so all apps and settings are the same) is ridiculous. I'm out. As much as I like the Apple ecosystem I'm heading to android an hoping that the iPhone 6 fixes these issues.

0 Likes
uwswoman
Enthusiast - Level 2

STOP THE MADNESS ! WHAT IS APPLE / VZB doing to fix this?! Can we report it to the PWC? SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

0 Likes
damon317
Enthusiast - Level 2

After getting excuses and theories and absolutely no help (or data credit) from Verizon I uninstalled iCloud and changed carriers.

Data usage went from 300 MB (on Verizon) in less then 12 hours "ON WIFI" (including the wee hours of the night (sleeping)) to 25 MB (new carrier) in 72 hours under same conditions with the SAME PHONE. That, to me, is more feasible... Can't say 100% it is the carrier or iCloud or both.

0 Likes
uwswoman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Which carrier did you go to ?I heard that ATT has the SAME Issue

0 Likes
damon317
Enthusiast - Level 2

T-Mobile. Their LTE is strong where I live (and cheaper). I did read AT&T posts having similar issues which is why I lean more towards iCloud being the cause. The issue I have is that neither the carrier nor Apple will "fess up". Carrier's answer is to upgrade your data plan or turn off cell data. That is not a solution, it is a up-sell and a band-aid.

0 Likes
paulvina

If it was iCloud it would affect all carriers the same. I was told that the cellular data will override the BT in certain circumstances and that the only way to "fix" the issue was to turn off cellular data. I tried it last night and that definitely "fixed" the problem. The only issue is, I shouldn't have to. My iPhone 5S will be going back for an android device. This is terrible. 

0 Likes