8 month old I phone 5 won't charge.
jem0545
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our Iphone won't consistently charge.  It can be plugged in overnight and not get over 40%.  The connection seems poor.  The phone is only 8 months old and hasn't been damaged.  Is this a problem with this phone?

Labels (1)
Re: 8 month old I phone 5 won't charge.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have consistent power for your device jem0545! How long ago did this start? Have you tried using alternate chargers or outlets? How about charging it with the device completely powered off?

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Don't go through any of the canned responses you will receive from verizon. Simply take the 8 month old phone to an Apple Store with the charger and they will assist you.

If you go through verizon for warranty replacement the second hand refurbished device may be worse off than what you have now. At least at the Apple Store they can check the charging cable for you. It may just be a faulty cable or a faulty charging port or at the highest rung a bad battery. Let Apple look at it.

Good Luck

0 Likes
beamertg

I had the same problem with my Iphone 5   I went to Verizon and was told that I tried to pug it up too hard.  Went to a different Verizon was told I dropped it.  None of the above was true.  Something inside the phone was rattling around.  Verizon told me that I had caused the damage and that I would have to buy another one at $550.00.  No thank you.  My phone was about 8 months old when the rattle started.  11 months old when it quit charging.   Took it to the apple store and they said it was nothing that I did and replaced it.   I will never deal with a Verizon customer service again

0 Likes
cow_no_9040812

Elector and beamertg,

Thank you both for offering the insights about your iPhones. A couple of weeks ago my iPhone 5 started having a problem consistently charging overnight. I replaced the charger. Still inconsistent. I tried several other chargers, still the same. Hit or miss. Sometimes it would hook right up, sometimes it completely refused to connect. I’ve seen it continue to get worse until finally, now, it will not connect to any charger, anywhere. I’m down to 20% from the last charge I managed to get on. Nothing I can do will get it to connect. I think it’s truly done for now.

I have the Assurant insurance for the iphone 5 (5 of these iPhone 5s, actually). I had planned call them to get it replaced. But after reading your comments, I am very reluctant to do so. If the Assurant insurance that Verizon makes available at the time of purchase is as you say, I think I need to look into canceling it on all my phones. I'm paying an arm and a leg for this coverage. I had no idea all they offer is a refurbished replacement. I’m sure it’s in the fine print, but the size and complexity of the policy would make reading it absurd. My phone is not even a year old yet. I don't want just some unknown quantity replacing it. Like one of you mentioned, it could be worse than the one I have now, for all I know. Mine is like new, pristine, cosmetically.

I have dealt with Apple since the late 80s, so I am familiar with the Apple Store. The problem is, I live about 2 hours away from the nearest one. But nevertheless, I am going to take your advice – make the appointment and make the drive. I will be surprised if it is anything serious. Again, a battery or charging port may be the worst of it. I am not sure what the warranty is on a new iPhone, but Apple has always been good about honoring, even going past honoring previous warranties that I've had with them on a dozen or so computers. Once they fixed a G-5 that was about two months out of warranty and charged me nothing. The repair bill I received showing what all they did came to over $1,800. All complimentary service. I was blown away. They didn't have to do this.

I am not expecting anything like this on the phone repair, but it could be that it's still under warranty. Verizon could learn a thing or two from the way Apple honors their customers. At least in the Apple Store they do. I know Apple is not perfect, I’ve had times when the let me down, too, but overall, they've been fair to me. Phone companies who offer this kind of third-party insurance schemes seem to be anything but. 

Thank you again for your comments in this forum. I think you've both saved me some money, time, effort, frustration and down-time on my phone. It's seldom that I get this kind of clear, down-to-earth, straight talk on online help forums. I felt a trust in your comments right away when one of you used the term "canned responses". It’s good to see that there is a segment of the population out there that gets it.  Customer service from these mega-corps. is so full of pap and fluff, it’s a complete waste of time even making the attempt to have them help you resolve an issue. Any issue.

And f.y.i., I made my screen name especially for this site, in honor of your fearless, straight shooting comments about Verizon’s customer service, or lack thereof. The name sort of reflects the feeling I get when trying to deal with them or any other huge conglomerate. It’s a feeling that they see me as just another half-conscious, nitwit head of cattle being prodded into line. Sad state of affairs, ain't it?

0 Likes
cow_no_9040812

Elector and beamertg,

Not sure what happened. They asked me for a screen name, I gave it, now my real name comes up. Sheesh. Another display of Verizon's incompetence and/or lack of concern. Whatever it is, it's a little off-putting. It should not be that difficult to create a screen name and have it come up on a reply. I followed the steps, the form said it was accepted. Go figure. Thanks, Verizon. Just what I wanted. My real name to be used. I should have known better than to even attempt to comment here. Live and learn.

But thanks to you just the same.

Anyway, the screen name I chose, that didn't show up was: cow_no.9040812

Sincerely,

cow_no.9040812

0 Likes
Not applicable

That name is showing. Not your real name. In your forum preferences change the way things are shown to just yourself.

This way a real name will not show

Good Luck

0 Likes