using alot of data but I know I am not doing it
ADRUTS48
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife has a 4s ((t could just be 4). She bought it in 2010 as I recall. She has NEVER updated it. She refuses to because every time she does update an apple device it gets hosed and unusable and requires a long phone call with tech support.  Anyway.  Our plans says she is using about 4 to 5 gigabytes a month. I can't speak for what is happening with the phone but I know for a fact she is not using this much data.  She doesn't watch youtube or stream anything.  She uses safari to look up some info. She does use the mapping software for driving directions.  She literally does not have an app that didn't come with the phone.  99% of her phone usage is texting and email or calling.  She doesn't have games.  I can't possibly figure out how she could be using so much data. Her IOS is so old that the techs at Verizon can't help because the phone can't really tell us where it is using the data.  I have been to the Verizon website and looked at the data logs. There will be discrete moments where she uses 100mb, 200mb or 300mb once or twice a day and I can see how this adds up to the 4 and 5 gb.  ONly I know my wife is not using any apps to cause this huge data use.  I have tons of apps.  I read the newspaper and browse the web and I use maybe 2gb a month since mostly I use high bandwidth apps on wifi at home.  Can anyone help?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: using alot of data but I know I am not doing it
tropigal

I had this issue and took my android to Verizon store, couldn't help. Very frustrating I know!

I wish I could tell you the fix but ... I played & tweaked just about everything I could,  and I Mrs everything. I took out aps, etc. Changed all my settings. Somewhere along the way my data straightened out. Good luck!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Not updating the phone is not a good idea.  All kinds of security holes in older versions.  Her aversion is not founded in usual outcome. Apple has the highest rate of devices kept current with the latest iOS build and very few devices have a problem. Besides her phone is no longer compatible with the most recent, so it would update to the last stable compatible version that has been around for a bit And we'll tested. 

I Would

back up phone to computer (iTunes) or icloud

do full reset on phones and restore from backup

upgrade iOS to latest version

I bet your data problem will be fixed. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

My buddy, Weth is exactly right. ADRUTS48, an Apple device without the latest update can cause many issues. The awesome thing is that I see you are actively checking the data online. There is an option there that says Data Utilization. This will help you to see what kind of data is being used daily.

If you go into Settings> Cellular> and scroll down you will see what apps are using the most data in her phone. Lets us know what you find.

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ADRUTS48
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there,

I have checked the data utilization on the verizon website and I can see discrete instances of data use.  I can't finding settings>cellular on the verizon web page. Maybe you can direct me to see this info?  I can see discrete uses of data and when they occurred but I can't find out what she was doing.  Would browsing on safari using 150mb of data when it doesn't involve streaming, youtube etc?  I don't think so.  Your friend Weth is probably right about updating ios and other things but my wife will not agree.  My question though is if she is not actually using the data why should we be getting charged for it?  Just because her phone is wonky according to Verizon doesn't mean the phone is actually using the data. All i can imagine is that there is some kind of background process running in the background.  She literally has not downloaded one app on her phone.  All she uses is what came standard on the phone when she bought it 5 or 6 years ago. It would have to be safari, texting, the map app or email.   Adrian

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

150 MB is very little and can easily be used up browsing with Safari.  Many web pages have graphics, animations or even videos that preload that can eat up data.  Verizon will rightly say if you don't update to the latest iOS version, that could be the cause of unintended data use and it would remain your responsibility.   Find a way to get your wife to understand the importance of updating, even if it means having someone at the Apple Store help her. 

Don't put your personal info in your answer, these are public pages searchable on Google.  You'll get even more unsolicited calls.  

ADRUTS48
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there a way to delete info I have already posted?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I Flagged the post

0 Likes