Correct answers
Re: parental control - block internet browsing
SeriouslyLainey
Contributor - Level 1

If you wish to completely block internet access:

From the phone's home screen:

--Choose "Settings"

--Then "General" 

--Scroll down and select "Restrictions".  This setting is most likely turned "off".  You'll want to want to choose to turn "on". 

--Select a 4-digit 'Restriction Code' (and don't share with your child)

--You may choose which services to "Allow" - from the list, turn any undesirable service to "Off".  I'd suggest, if you wish to completely block internet access, you disable, at a minimum: Safari & YouTube.  Additionally, you may want to check installed Apps; as some of these allow access to the internet, others are actually 'alternative browser' Apps - and will provide a gateway to the internet...

Another consideration would be to disable one or both:  iTunes, Installing Apps - to prevent downloading browser Apps.  Then, before anything can be downloaded you'll have to enter the Restriction Code, turn on iTunes (or Install Apps) - then turn it back off afterward.

An added benefit to having a Restriction Code in place is that, you can "lock" changes to Location Services - which makes it impossible for a thief to disable "Find My iPhone" (which would be rendered useless if it's "off").  You may also "manage", to a degree, the "allowed" content for iTunes-based applications for maturity, content, etc.

I hope this is useful to you; I use it for my kids and it works quite well for me.

View solution in original post

marty9999

If you are looking for complete parental control for the iPhone/iPad, look into FREE McGruff SafeGuard.

You might remember McGruff “The Crime Dog” - Take A Bite Out of Crime - from your youth.

They also provide  have a PC-based Parental Control software: (http://www.GoMcGruff.com).

McGruff SafeGuard offers a Child Safe Browser app that is a look-alike for Safari, but offers parents with complete control of the categories of websites that can be visited.

The browser app also provides a report of activity to the parent via email.

Look into http://www.GoMcGruff.com/browser

0 Likes
SeriouslyLainey
Contributor - Level 1

If you wish to completely block internet access:

From the phone's home screen:

--Choose "Settings"

--Then "General" 

--Scroll down and select "Restrictions".  This setting is most likely turned "off".  You'll want to want to choose to turn "on". 

--Select a 4-digit 'Restriction Code' (and don't share with your child)

--You may choose which services to "Allow" - from the list, turn any undesirable service to "Off".  I'd suggest, if you wish to completely block internet access, you disable, at a minimum: Safari & YouTube.  Additionally, you may want to check installed Apps; as some of these allow access to the internet, others are actually 'alternative browser' Apps - and will provide a gateway to the internet...

Another consideration would be to disable one or both:  iTunes, Installing Apps - to prevent downloading browser Apps.  Then, before anything can be downloaded you'll have to enter the Restriction Code, turn on iTunes (or Install Apps) - then turn it back off afterward.

An added benefit to having a Restriction Code in place is that, you can "lock" changes to Location Services - which makes it impossible for a thief to disable "Find My iPhone" (which would be rendered useless if it's "off").  You may also "manage", to a degree, the "allowed" content for iTunes-based applications for maturity, content, etc.

I hope this is useful to you; I use it for my kids and it works quite well for me.