iphone and network extender
leroybubba
Enthusiast - Level 1

hey guys,   anyone using the network extender with their iphone ?   any issues ?  

thanks, bubba

Labels (1)
Re: iphone and network extender
upnorth
Contributor - Level 1

I have a network extender. There have been no issues using it with the iPhone.

leroybubba
Enthusiast - Level 1

thanks.  anybody else ?   i'm considering buying the extender because my signal at home is spotty at times.  250 bux is a big deal but if it actually improves my service i guess it'll be worth it. 

thanks, bubba

edpascua

I live near the beach where service is very spotty.  I bought my signal extender 4/2010.  The signal strength on my blackberry tour was excellent.  When I switched to the new Verizon Iphone last February, my signal strength doesn't feel as strong as it used to.  Is anyone else experiencing the same performance with the iphone and their signal extender?

0 Likes
djk_vz

I've been using a network extender with my iphone...works great and no issues... just plug it in...make sure you can put the GPS reciever in a window... they give you a 25 ft wire so the extender can be moved to a central location... coverage is good...about 40 to 50ft.

0 Likes
fparker6
My signal actually improved with my iPhone. Before with my env3 if we had a power outage my signal was nil. Just for the heck of it I unplugged my network extender and my iPhone still had 3solid bars of reception.
0 Likes
RogerSC
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, iPhone and Network Extender, sounds familiar *smile*.  I'm in a Verizon "service" area, but get so little 3G (and only one or two bars for phone calls) that I also had to get a Network Extender...while it works fine with my iPhone most of the time, I have 1 thought and 1 problem:

1.  Why do I have to pay to extend Verizon's network?  We're paying for regular service, and now we had to pay an extra $250 to get that regular service.  And the Network Extender uses a piece of the internet that I pay for to deliver that service.  Something very wrong with this picture.  If we didn't have 4 other phones on our family plan I'd be shopping around for a decent service provider.  I hope that Verizon decides to help those of us that are paying them for service, and yet not getting it, at some point.  I'm not holding my breath, but to get my loyalty as a customer a service provider has to provide the service I'm paying for.  From what I've read here, if I asked about this they'd be happy to "let me out of my contract"...that's really not what I'd call a service-oriented company.

2.  I've had to reboot my Network Extender several times when the 3G slowed down (I use speedtest.net to verify that it is slowing down).  Is anyone else having this problem?  Do you have to periodically reboot your Network Extender as a result of decreasing speed?  How often?  Or do I have a defective one?

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

RogerSC wrote:

1.  Why do I have to pay to extend Verizon's network?  We're paying for regular service, and now we had to pay an extra $250 to get that regular service.  And the Network Extender uses a piece of the internet that I pay for to deliver that service.  Something very wrong with this picture.  If we didn't have 4 other phones on our family plan I'd be shopping around for a decent service provider.  I hope that Verizon decides to help those of us that are paying them for service, and yet not getting it, at some point.  I'm not holding my breath, but to get my loyalty as a customer a service provider has to provide the service I'm paying for.  From what I've read here, if I asked about this they'd be happy to "let me out of my contract"...that's really not what I'd call a service-oriented company.

I'm only guessing but I think the simple answer as to why you're paying to extend Verizon't network is likely because you live in an area that Verizon's network is not the strongest. So...in order for you to keep using their service at your home you either need to pay for the network extender, find a different provider that has a stronger signal in your area, or deal with the lack of service while at your home (until VZ possibly increases network coverage in your area). Because you live in an area where the coverage is less than steller it is a plus that VZ would give you the option to end your contract early and find a provider that can meet your needs without the extender if possible...it may not be something you are thrilled with but honestly, if the service is that terrible in your area it would seem like you would want to find another provider. Is the service only bad with your iPhone or is it with the other phones on your family plan also? Assuming of course that the other phones are also in the same household.

Jay53

As I said in another post, I have been using the network extender (3g) with my iphone and for the most part it works great except for one very annoying quirk...I cannot make calls to Sprint phones. If I do, they cannot hear me talk. I can hear them and if they call me the entire call is normal, but if I call them, they just cannot hear me! Weird!!

0 Likes
PaulieORF
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my 3G network extender for a month and a half now with my iPhone 4.  For the first 4-5 weeks, everything was fine.  Calling was fine, no dropped calls.  Data speeds were good, testing at aroudn 1000 kbps down, 500-1000 kbps up.  For the last week to 2 weeks, I noticed a problem.  When I try to send picture messages they do not go through the majority of the time.  They will sit there and eventually give me the failed red exclamation point.  I tested my speeds.  Downlaod speeds remain decent, but upload speeds have slowed to a crawl, or even sometimes to a halt.  Most of the time when I run a speed test, my upload will be 0 to 40 kbps, usually somewhere around 20 kbps.  This would explain why sending picture messages fail.

I've been in contact with Verizon support on this for over a week now.  I'll give them credit, they really do seem to care about figuring out what's going on.  We've tried everything.  I've replaced my network extender, put the network extender directly on my modem (50 MBps down, 10 MBps up cable connection), and swapped my iPhone for a new one at the Apple Store.  The problem still remains.  My contact then texted me (he texts me during the day because he knows I work) saying he's now go multiple reports of the issue.  He also ran some traces on my phone's data connection during sending failed picture messages.  I haven't heard from him in two days.  I did see my Network Extender received a software update yesterday morning (green system light = software being downloaded), but that didn't change anything.

I would appreciate it if anyone on here who has and iPhone and 3G Netwok Extender can turn off their WiFi and run a speedtest.net app speed test and post the results for their upload.

0 Likes