iphone 4 won't update to 4.2.10
pmcnabnay

I have an iphone 4 that is currently running 4.2.6.  Ever since I got the phone (several months ago) whenever I sync the phone to itunes, it tells me that an update is available for download.  When I attempt to either "download" or "download and install", itunes downloads the file (4.2.10) and just as the file is completing / beginning to install, I get an error message stating "there was a problem downloading the software for itunes.  The network connection timed out." 

I have tried to update this numerous times without success.  I originally thought that maybe the phone had the most current ios and this 4.2.10 was an update for non CDMA phones, but I recently checked several of my friends Verizon CDMA iphone 4 phones, and their ios is 4.2.10.

Please help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone 4 won't update to 4.2.10
24c
Contributor - Level 1

4.2.10 is the latest vesion of iTunes on my machine, not the phone's operating system.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The latest iTunes on your computer should be 10.**, not 4. Your iOS on your iPhone 4 would be 4.2.** (depending on how current your iOS is). iTunes 10.5 will be releasing soon. If your iTunes is still on 4 then you haven't updated in a few years and you can't be using an iPhone 4 (or any iPod that was sold in the last 2 or so years) as that version is far too old to work with any of the more recent devices.

To the OP....the network is probably bogged down right now due to the pre-sale and the changes coming for the newest iTunes (10.5) and iOS 5. Now if you have been to do this since before this past week and had issues then you should search the apple support site for the article that will give troubleshooting tips for your issue. I will try to find it for you real quick but you can also do this by going to apple.com/support.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You didn't say if there were an error code so my searching is blind a bit more difficult. Start at the following link and if it doesn't address your issue then you will need to continue your search on the site. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

0 Likes
24c
Contributor - Level 1

kaebfly wrote:

The latest iTunes on your computer should be 10.**, not 4. Your iOS on your iPhone 4 would be 4.2.**

How right you are, how wrong I was.....

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

I wouldn't worry about iOS 4.2.old at this late date.  All of the updates for iOS that Verizon received were merely security updates of which ...might affect one in a million users.  No harm in updating but other than a change in the build number, there's nothing in here that's any different from what was initially released to Verizon.  There were no new feature updates nor bug fixes in ANY of the releases past iOS 4.2.6.  (all of the good stuff was in iOS 4.3 of which we poor Verizon users were not worthy enough to receive.)  ANYWAY, we should be getting iOS 5 tomorrow.  I would attempt to load that one (assuming we get it) and if that fails, debug from this point.

Yeah I'm a bit negative... but until something positive happens for us Verizon iPhone users... like getting iOS 5 tomorrow, I can't help it.  I'll believe it when I see it!

0 Likes