Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

demmo86rt
Leader

mikedamirault wrote:

Before I begin my reply, I should mention a couple things

1. The lime green text you used doesn't contrast very well with the white background, making the text hard to read

Yes, I know

2. Android OS and iOS are different, I am not saying that iOS is better or worse, but more that they are different, both have their pluses and minuses, I happen to like both Android OS and iOS (though I hate Blackberry and I am undecided about Windows Phone OS), the only reason why I tend to like iOS better than Android OS is because iOS is more stable in my experience, you like Android OS better, and that's your opinion, and that's fine

There is absolutely no reason it should have to be done this way.  What if you have multiple regular monthly meetings?  Then you have to enter each one 12 times?  (Android will do this)

But is 12 times really that bad?  And if there are multiple regular monthly meetings, would all these meetings be planned on the same day? Plus how much info is being put into these calendar alerts anyway?  It shouldn't take any longer than 5 minutes to set 12 alerts, and if you know what time you need to be at the meeting, just set the alert for "All Day" label it "So and so meeting" x12, done

Yes, it is that bad.  If you have 5 regular meetings a month, that would be 60 calendar entries.  With any sort of details, this can be quite time consuming, especially when setting up a new phone with a new calendar.

My Rezound (Android OS) will do this for a WiFi connected printer, as long as it is compatible.  Maybe not a part of vanilla Android (though it could be), but the iPhone is obviously not the only smartphone on the market that will do it.

But that's just the Rezound, not the Android OS itself, and even if it's integrated into the Android OS on the Rezound, I would still consider it as third party only because it's not a feature that Google added to Android OS, just like the clock widget on HTC Androids, albeit the fact that Apple makes both the iPhone hardware and iOS, Apple's Airprint feature is first party, if you read my comment correctly, I said that the iPhone is the only smartphone on the market with first party (okay, I said integrated, I should have said first party) network printing support

First party implies included with the firmware, third party you have to install yourself.  Just because it is something that HTC added in does not make it a third party feature.

Now you are right in saying that vanilla Android could support it, same with any mobile OS (Blackberry OS, Windows Phone OS, Palm OS, Symbian OS, etc.), it's all about software, as a matter of fact, Android (and other mobile OSs) could support CUPS/SMB or similar printer/file sharing standard and forget about printer compatibility altogether (just use Windows or Linux printer sharing), but so far, that hasn't happened

My point still stands, the OP is complaining that Airprint in iOS doesn't support printing from the Calendar unless you download a third party app, but question is, does ANY smartphone on the market support printing from the Calendar without a third party app?  IDTS.  You can't blame a particular smartphone for lack of a feature that virtually no smartphone supports

I'm not blaming the iPhone for not including the feature, I was just pointing out your error in stating that no smartphone had the feature.

This is exactly how Android does it (do you see where I'm going with this yet?) and it has never been a problem for me.  I hate to inject my own personal opinions on how someone uses their phone but REALLY?  8 very important websites?  That you can't remember?

I get that's how Android does it, I am just saying, at least personally, I don't like that type of feature, as a matter of fact, if you read my second reply I explain how Android OS is able to do that while iOS can't, it has do do with the fact that Android is designed in a way that apps work together, something that iOS doesn't support

As for 8 very important websites that I can't remember, yes, have you never did a search for a website, click a link (say on Google or Yahoo search), open a new tab, do another Google or Yahoo search, click a link, then open a new tab, do another search, so on and so forth, there is no possible way to remember the URL by heart, so are you saying that because it was from a Google or Yahoo search, that those given sites aren't important?  I can't count how many tabs (and browser windows) I have open right now in Firefox, and each one of them are important for different reasons, not to mention I have all 8 tabs used on my iPhone as well, all of which just as important

Apparently we have quite different browsing styles, if I ever have more than 4 or 5 tabs open, it's time to start closing tabs. 

Again, Android does this (you can even install an app that will allow you to set different notification tones for texts from different people).  That way you don't need two phones

I think you are confused between emails and texts, the iPhone can also assign a particular notification tone for texts from different people (I just checked on my my iPhone and I can do it), the OP is saying that the Android can set a certain notification tone for when someone sens him and email, and that iOS can't support that, which is true

No confusion here, I was talking about how you can set a different notification tone for each email account if you wish, I just threw in that extra tidbit about the text notifications.

What I meant about having two different smartphones, is chances are when you have a corporate smartphone, you have corporate based apps and data on it, and depending on the data, it may not be data that you would want friends or family to see access and see/use when they go to use or borrow your smartphone, and vice versa, there could be personal data on the smartphone that your coworkers should not have access to, it may just be me, but I believe that personal life and business life should be kept separate

Still don't see any reason for two cell phones, maybe you just need to be more careful who you are letting use your phone.

Push notifications are great and, on HTC phones you can set up peak/off-peak times so that, if you want to, it won't bother you with work emails after hours and these can be set seperately for each email account.  I think this is a feature that HTC added, but it may be in other Android phones as well.

For me, it's not when I get push notifications as much as it is how often, I get a LOT if email (most if it unimportant), so I swear, as it is already, I could look at my screen, and I swear every 5 minutes I get a push notification to an email that's not even important, but if I go to turn it off, it defeats the purpose if I do get an important email, and even then, if it's that important, chances are I have the phone in my hand waiting for the given email, otherwise it can wait

That is one thing I love about the Gmail app, you can set it to notify you once, or for every new email.  That way, if you get an email, then 5 more before you check it, it won't keep bugging you.  A feature that I wish was included in the other mail app.

Worst.Feature.Ever.

Yup

All in all, I have to say I'm glad I didn't go with an iPhone.  The Android is so feature rich, with many options to tailor the phone to meet your needs.  Smartphones don't need to be just glorified music players, they are used for so much more.

I actually switched from the HTC Eris to the iPhone, and I must say that it was one of the best choices I made, now don't get me wrong, I do like Android, but I had so many problems with my Eris (one of the biggest problems being battery life, then speed and storage capacity), that I just switched to the iPhone and never looked back, I do use my Eris time by time (mostly for GPS and iPod like use

I came from the Eris as well and, as capable as that was for it's time, Androids nowadays are leaps and bounds above it.  Not only with the hardware, but with each new OS release, Google has improved performance and added features.  And once you get into the hacking scene (which is not necessary for the average user as some would have you believe), it's amazing some of the tweaks and customization you can do.

Actually, the last thing I use my iPhone for is Music, TBH I don't listen to music that much, I have like 3 songs on my iPhone and barely even listen to them, so to say that the iPhone is only a glorified music player is taking it a bit far

Like I said before, Android and iOS are just different, there are features and apps available for Android that aren't available for iOS, at the same time, there are features and apps available for iOS that aren't available for Android, for example, Android has Google Maps/GPS (Navigation app) and more open apps (apps that Apple wouldn't allow on the iPhone are still available on Android), at the same time, iOS has custom vibrations for calls from certain contacts, and iOS has some apps, that while could be made available for Android, they just aren't, for example PNC Bank's Mobile Deposit feature is only on their iPhone app, PNC Bank's Android app is only a shell for their mobile website

This trend will change.  As Android grows in popularity, I would expect to see developers start to make apps for Android first.  Historically, iOS has had the larger user base and, therefore, a larger potential user base for the app.  This is no longer the case and developers would not be smart if they didn't take notice of this.

I realize that Android an iOS are different, but the point in my post was not necessarily to tell the OP that he made the wrong choice in phones (though I would never recommend an iPhone to anybody) but to point out that your response was not helpful whatsoever.  All you did was tell him that his opinions on the phone were wrong and that, even though he doesn't like the way the phone performs some functions (and doesn't perform others) that that's the way it should be.  It sucks to be stuck in a two year contract with a device that doesn't work for how you want to use it, and to be told that you're wrong to want to use it that way just pours salt in the wound.  This is the same vibe I get from Apple as a company and one of the reasons I will never buy one of their products again.  I was really hoping that my lime green color was as irritating to read as it was to read your first post, and apparently it was, seeing as how that was the first thing you mentioned.

Now, even though I would never personally recommend an iPhone to anybody, I do realize that Android is not for everybody.  My wife's aunt and uncle are the perfect example.  They bought the iPhone 4 when it first came out, and it works for them because they wanted something simple.  Me, I want a phone that amazes me on occasion.  I like being able to go to the movies and not having to physically take my phone out of my pocket to put it on silent, it does it by itself (yes, there's an app for that).  I like having a widget on my homescreen that tells me how much time I have left on my battery, I like having my calendar, task list, music widget, Facebook widget all on my homescreen without having to open an app.  I like pulling 30 - 40 Mbps down over my mobile connection.  I like not having to have a separate GPS unit to give me directions to a place I have never been before and, as I just found out today, I like the fact that, if I wanted to, I could make it do it in a British accent.

To the OP, I say, certainly check out your other options when your contract is up (or sooner if you can justify buying a phone off contract and it bugs you enough to justify it).  RIM and Microsoft are making huge changes in their respective next versions of Blackberry and Windows Phone.  I think Android is awesome and, from what you posted here, it would probably fit your needs well, but there are other options out there.  I hope you can make this phone work for you in the meantime

Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

mikedamirault
Novice

demmo86rt wrote:

Yes, I know

About the lime green text, read the bottom most comment

Yes, it is that bad.  If you have 5 regular meetings a month, that would be 60 calendar entries.  With any sort of details, this can be quite time consuming, especially when setting up a new phone with a new calendar.

Name me one company you can think of that gives out all (5+) the monthly reoccurring meetings on one day, then expects you to have them all (60+) in your calendar that very same day, to be honest, I can't think of one

Also, if you think that's bad, forget about meetings for a minute, imagine you worked for a job that only gave you a weekly schedule (meaning you had to look up your schedule in a book every thursday, friday or saturday), and here's the kicker, you NEVER get the same hours  (no "9 to 5" type schedule where you always go to work at the same time each and every day, but you could work 5 hours one day, work 4 hours the other, and work 8 hours the day after that, and they never start or end on the same hours either), now imagine that you have put all this in your calendar EVERY week, THEN send that schedule to a friend's smartphone calendar or send it in a text message, no calendar on any smartphone could make that easy, it's physically impossible to program, well, maybe not entirely impossible

I would much rather see text recognition (both handwritten and typed) in a smartphone calendar (the same technology used in the Remote Deposit apps I have been talking about, or apps like Word Lens, or even organization scanners like "Neat" scanners), the technology is widely available, and it would make things a bunch easier

Imagine that someone gave you a handwritten note, or gave you an invitation card, or you have a handwritten work schedule, imagine that instead of having to type all that in, if you can just use the camera on your smartphone to snap an image of it, save it, then translate it to something the calendar can understand, or even better, imagine you have a printed calender, and you circle or highlight a certain day with a certain "label" color, then you can just take a picture of the printed calendar, tell it that blue is "Meeting 1", green is "Meeting 2", etc., wouldn't that be better?  So why doesn't Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, Symbian, etc. just do that instead?

Until then, why not stop complaining about it and either live with it or get a phone that has the features and stop saying how bad another smartphone is for not supporting it?  The whole reason why iOS, Android, Blackberry OS, Symbian OS, PalmOS, etc. exists is so we have choices in what we want or need, and before getting a particular smartphone, read up on it and see if it would be something you would like or not, and don't just base your smartphone decision on something like "well, so and so has an iPhone, so I guess I will try it out" (and this is EXACTLY what the OP did)

First party implies included with the firmware, third party you have to install yourself.  Just because it is something that HTC added in does not make it a third party feature.

But just that, it's a feature that HTC released, it's not a standard feature of Android, that means you have to get a Rezound (or an Android with similar features) in order to have it, you can't just pick up any Android smartphone and expect to print from it, with the iPhone on the other hand, any iPhone 3GS and up supports Airprint, there's no need to make sure you have the right iPhone (unless it's pre-3GS)

Android, by itself, doesn't have network printing support, iOS on the other hand does (now you could argue that Apple makes the hardware and software, while Google only makes the software, and it's up to companies like Motorola or HTC to come up with the hardware, but still, Airprint is part of iOS, not a separate feature)

I'm not blaming the iPhone for not including the feature, I was just pointing out your error in stating that no smartphone had the feature.

It wasn't an error, I was right, if you read my posts correctly, I clearly said that I THOUGHT the iPhone was the only smartphone on the market that had first part/imbedded printing support, by saying that, I mean that I could be wrong, and I admit I was

I then said that no smartphone on the market has printing support IN the Calendar app (if the Rezound can natively print from the Android calendar app, then prove it),  and therefore the OP can't blame the iPhone for the lack of a feature that no other smartphone has


Apparently we have quite different browsing styles, if I ever have more than 4 or 5 tabs open, it's time to start closing tabs.

Well, if you have to fill out various online forms, get information for the given forms, check email (webmail), etc. all at the same time (which I have to do), then the tabs can add up, obviously you don't do that, so yes, I agree, we do have different browsing styles


No confusion here, I was talking about how you can set a different notification tone for each email account if you wish, I just threw in that extra tidbit about the text notifications.

You didn't make one mention to different email tones for email from different people, also, you mentioned that you can download a third party app for a feature that the iPhone has first party support for


Still don't see any reason for two cell phones, maybe you just need to be more careful who you are letting use your phone.

Let me put it this way, do you want to load up your corporate smartphone with personal game and leisure apps (apps meant for personal use and not meant for corporate use)?  It's like I said before, would you download/install personal programs/games on a corporate laptop (either personally owned or company issued)?  Same goes for smartphones (at least in my opinion), also, would you really want to get business calls on a smartphone you also use for personal use?  Personally, I would find that annoying, not to mention stuff that you may not want a coworker to see if you have to hand over your phone to them, if that doesn't pertain to you, then by all means go ahead and use one smartphone for personal and corporate use


That is one thing I love about the Gmail app, you can set it to notify you once, or for every new email.  That way, if you get an email, then 5 more before you check it, it won't keep bugging you.  A feature that I wish was included in the other mail app.

I don't think I like that very much either, as it goes along with what I said how it defeats the purpose, if somebody sends you an unimportant email, you see the screen and disregard it, then an important email comes in right after, you wouldn't know because you wouldn't get a notice, somebody asks you if you got it, and you say no, when in fact you did, but it just didn't alert you



I came from the Eris as well and, as capable as that was for it's time, Androids nowadays are leaps and bounds above it.  Not only with the hardware, but with each new OS release, Google has improved performance and added features.  And once you get into the hacking scene (which is not necessary for the average user as some would have you believe), it's amazing some of the tweaks and customization you can do.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Android is getting better, but to update, you have to have a phone compatible with the new update, I got the Eris at the end of it's life cycle, so it already had 2.1 (Eclair?) installed, and being that the Eris didn't support 2.2 (Froyo?), I basically got a phone that was unupdatable

Now this is more the fault of the Verizon location I went to (and part of a mistake I made), but I only got the Eris as a replacement for my Blackberry Storm, and not by choice.  I went to Verizon in an attempt to get my Blackberry (which I swear was broken out of the box... NEW) either fixed or replaced (after charging it, it still would not boot), when I gave it to the rep at the location, he plugged it in and told me that it showed nothing but errors (a ploy to get me to buy the Eris I believe, but I just wanted a working phone, so I believed him), now I didn't want to get a very expensive smartphone, but I was not willing to go back to a feature phone, so I was willing to go for any smartphone that had that was affordable and in stock, so the rep grabs a conveniently located box (shoulda guessed at this point, he had the Eris just sitting there before I even walked in), I pay for it, and he programs it, had I been willing to pay more, I would have probably gotten a more up to date Android smartphone, worked fine until I started having battery issues to the point the phone practically had to be plugged in to work (I would be lucky if the battery lasted 2 hours), I also noticed that anybody with an Android device (especially my nephew, who had a Sprint EVO) also had battery issues, but the iPhone's battery life was fine, then when the iPhone came to Verizon, I switched and never had problems since

Also, what do you mean about getting into the hacking scene, do you mean like rooting?  The iPhone can be jailbroken, and have similar features to the Android, unless you mean something above just simple rooting, in which case, please explain


This trend will change.  As Android grows in popularity, I would expect to see developers start to make apps for Android first.  Historically, iOS has had the larger user base and, therefore, a larger potential user base for the app.  This is no longer the case and developers would not be smart if they didn't take notice of this.

It depends on the developer, there are developers out there that only start with Android apps because Java is an easier programming language to learn than Objective-C, and there are some others that are just fed up with the way that Apple deals with some apps (I admit it, Apple isn't always fair to developers, but in some cases it's for the best, and you can see some of that with some of the problems/issues Android has)

One thing I will never understand, is why does the iPhone have native screen capture (pressing the sleep/wake and home buttons at the same time takes a snapshot of the screen), yet with Android, you have to root the phone and install a (usually unstable in my experience) third party app?  This is a pretty commonly used feature used for many reasons

As for the PNC Bank Mobile Deposit feature only being available on iOS, Android has been out for long enough that, if PNC really wanted to, they could have came out with the same or similar app for Android, instead, PNC just chose to make a portal app to their mobile website for Android (view photos below), it isn't even a real app, and if it's because Android isn't popular enough yet, then explain why Chase took the effort to do so?  It just depends on the developer and what they choose to program for

PNC Mobile - Android Apps on Google Play                   App Store - PNC Mobile Bankinghttps://lh6.ggpht.com/wdZMrmyCpj_EdcndANk5Wgo27raSLXrXi7BKiYSgM7bMsMoadhmUiXZkcJscfQMmonA http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/096/Purple/3e/bd/3d/mzl.djkpncos.320x480-75.jpg

And here's some info on the PNC Android "App"

http://thetrendaholic.com/2010/09/29/pnc-bank-drops-the-ball-with-android/


I realize that Android an iOS are different, but the point in my post was not necessarily to tell the OP that he made the wrong choice in phones (though I would never recommend an iPhone to anybody) but to point out that your response was not helpful whatsoever.  All you did was tell him that his opinions on the phone were wrong and that, even though he doesn't like the way the phone performs some functions (and doesn't perform others) that that's the way it should be.  It ***** to be stuck in a two year contract with a device that doesn't work for how you want to use it, and to be told that you're wrong to want to use it that way just pours salt in the wound.  This is the same vibe I get from Apple as a company and one of the reasons I will never buy one of their products again.  I was really hoping that my lime green color was as irritating to read as it was to read your first post, and apparently it was, seeing as how that was the first thing you mentioned.

Now, even though I would never personally recommend an iPhone to anybody, I do realize that Android is not for everybody.  My wife's aunt and uncle are the perfect example.  They bought the iPhone 4 when it first came out, and it works for them because they wanted something simple.  Me, I want a phone that amazes me on occasion.  I like being able to go to the moviesand not having to physically take my phone out of my pocket to put it on silent, it does it by itself (yes, there's an app for that).  I like having a widget on my homescreen that tells me how much time I have left on my battery, I like having my calendar, task list, music widget, Facebook widget all on my homescreen without having to open an app.  I like pulling 30 - 40 Mbps down over my mobile connection.  I like not having to have a separate GPS unit to give me directions to a place I have never been before and, as I just found out today, I like the fact that, if I wanted to, I could make it do it in a British accent.

I was in no way trying to be irritating, I'm not at all saying that he made a bad decision in choosing Android (or any other smartphone for that matter) over the iPhone, it's a matter of opinion, therefore I find the lime green text quite uncalled for

Actually, I thought quite the opposite, I found the OP's post quite irritating, for the EXACT same reason, the OP wasn't asking for help at all, therefore my reply wasn't written to be helpful, the OP was just out to vent/rant, and at the same time were turning people off of iPhones, even those who the iPhone would be a great fit for, I felt that the OP was making iPhone users feel like they made a bad decision in picking the iPhone, which isn't exactly true, I got the iPhone as I had an iPod Touch before it, and have family members that use the iPhone, I preferred the way the iPhone/iPod Touch worked and went with it instead, that is not to say that I never will switch back to Android, but when I get a smartphone, I want something that just works, not something I have to tweak all the time just to do the simplest things, so far the iPhone 4 is the only smartphone that since almost a year after I got it, I still like it, and don't find myself waiting until my ne2 is available to switch

As for your dislike of Apple, that is only your opinion, I have worked on computers for years, and at least in my experience, Apple products are just more stable, they just work, and every Apple product I own lasts at least twice as long than any similar non-Apple product, I go through 2 or 3 PCs in the lifetime of one of my Macs

As for the OP, an Android smartphone, maybe even the Rezound, may be a great fit, and may be worth a try

0 Likes

Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

IanMcF
Member

God You guys need a life! The fact is that the iphone is a toy, not a business phone. Unless you have been around really effective, fully integrated business systems geared to doing business on the move, you really don't understand the limitations of the iphone for that purpose. I am an entrepreneur. My business can't afford to give employees "Company phones" and I wouldn't do that if we could afford it. Who the hell wants to carry two phones around..get real!

Meanwhile if you would like to buy a cheap iPhone 4, mine's for sale

Ian

 

Ian McFall

360 316 9537 Cell

0 Likes

Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

demmo86rt
Leader

mikedamirault wrote:

demmo86rt wrote:

Yes, I know

About the lime green text, read the bottom most comment

Yes, it is that bad.  If you have 5 regular meetings a month, that would be 60 calendar entries.  With any sort of details, this can be quite time consuming, especially when setting up a new phone with a new calendar.

Name me one company you can think of that gives out all (5+) the monthly reoccurring meetings on one day, then expects you to have them all (60+) in your calendar that very same day, to be honest, I can't think of one

Whether I had to do it all in one day or not, still not something I would want to do.

Also, if you think that's bad, forget about meetings for a minute, imagine you worked for a job that only gave you a weekly schedule (meaning you had to look up your schedule in a book every thursday, friday or saturday), and here's the kicker, you NEVER get the same hours  (no "9 to 5" type schedule where you always go to work at the same time each and every day, but you could work 5 hours one day, work 4 hours the other, and work 8 hours the day after that, and they never start or end on the same hours either), now imagine that you have put all this in your calendar EVERY week, THEN send that schedule to a friend's smartphone calendar or send it in a text message, no calendar on any smartphone could make that easy, it's physically impossible to program, well, maybe not entirely impossible

This is completely a different scenario, if you recall, the OP was concerned about not being able to repeat a calendar event for a particular day in a particular week of the month (i.e. first Tuesday)

I would much rather see text recognition (both handwritten and typed) in a smartphone calendar (the same technology used in the Remote Deposit apps I have been talking about, or apps like Word Lens, or even organization scanners like "Neat" scanners), the technology is widely available, and it would make things a bunch easier

Imagine that someone gave you a handwritten note, or gave you an invitation card, or you have a handwritten work schedule, imagine that instead of having to type all that in, if you can just use the camera on your smartphone to snap an image of it, save it, then translate it to something the calendar can understand, or even better, imagine you have a printed calender, and you circle or highlight a certain day with a certain "label" color, then you can just take a picture of the printed calendar, tell it that blue is "Meeting 1", green is "Meeting 2", etc., wouldn't that be better?  So why doesn't Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, Symbian, etc. just do that instead?

Until then, why not stop complaining about it and either live with it or get a phone that has the features and stop saying how bad another smartphone is for not supporting it?  The whole reason why iOS, Android, Blackberry OS, Symbian OS, PalmOS, etc. exists is so we have choices in what we want or need, and before getting a particular smartphone, read up on it and see if it would be something you would like or not, and don't just base your smartphone decision on something like "well, so and so has an iPhone, so I guess I will try it out" (and this is EXACTLY what the OP did)

First party implies included with the firmware, third party you have to install yourself.  Just because it is something that HTC added in does not make it a third party feature.

But just that, it's a feature that HTC released, it's not a standard feature of Android, that means you have to get a Rezound (or an Android with similar features) in order to have it, you can't just pick up any Android smartphone and expect to print from it, with the iPhone on the other hand, any iPhone 3GS and up supports Airprint, there's no need to make sure you have the right iPhone (unless it's pre-3GS)

After some research (if you call it that, I typed "print" into the search bar on Google Play), there are a handful of wireless print apps for Android, including cloud print, which does not even require you to be on the same WiFi network (can do it over mobile data)

Android, by itself, doesn't have network printing support, iOS on the other hand does (now you could argue that Apple makes the hardware and software, while Google only makes the software, and it's up to companies like Motorola or HTC to come up with the hardware, but still, Airprint is part of iOS, not a separate feature)

I'm not blaming the iPhone for not including the feature, I was just pointing out your error in stating that no smartphone had the feature.

It wasn't an error, I was right, if you read my posts correctly, I clearly said that I THOUGHT the iPhone was the only smartphone on the market that had first part/imbedded printing support, by saying that, I mean that I could be wrong, and I admit I was

I then said that no smartphone on the market has printing support IN the Calendar app (if the Rezound can natively print from the Android calendar app, then prove it), 2012-03-20_19-05-51.jpg and therefore the OP can't blame the iPhone for the lack of a feature that no other smartphone has


Apparently we have quite different browsing styles, if I ever have more than 4 or 5 tabs open, it's time to start closing tabs.

Well, if you have to fill out various online forms, get information for the given forms, check email (webmail), etc. all at the same time (which I have to do), then the tabs can add up, obviously you don't do that, so yes, I agree, we do have different browsing styles


No confusion here, I was talking about how you can set a different notification tone for each email account if you wish, I just threw in that extra tidbit about the text notifications.

You didn't make one mention to different email tones for email from different people, also, you mentioned that you can download a third party app for a feature that the iPhone has first party support for

Maybe I misunderstood the fact that he was looking for tones for emails from different people, I replied under the assumption of trying to get different notification tones from different email accounts.  Also, first party or third party (you keep using this like its a real reason), what does it matter?  Either you can accomplish the feat or not.


Still don't see any reason for two cell phones, maybe you just need to be more careful who you are letting use your phone.

Let me put it this way, do you want to load up your corporate smartphone with personal game and leisure apps (apps meant for personal use and not meant for corporate use)?  It's like I said before, would you download/install personal programs/games on a corporate laptop (either personally owned or company issued)?  Same goes for smartphones (at least in my opinion), also, would you really want to get business calls on a smartphone you also use for personal use?  Personally, I would find that annoying, not to mention stuff that you may not want a coworker to see if you have to hand over your phone to them, if that doesn't pertain to you, then by all means go ahead and use one smartphone for personal and corporate use


That is one thing I love about the Gmail app, you can set it to notify you once, or for every new email.  That way, if you get an email, then 5 more before you check it, it won't keep bugging you.  A feature that I wish was included in the other mail app.

I don't think I like that very much either, as it goes along with what I said how it defeats the purpose, if somebody sends you an unimportant email, you see the screen and disregard it, then an important email comes in right after, you wouldn't know because you wouldn't get a notice, somebody asks you if you got it, and you say no, when in fact you did, but it just didn't alert you

That's what filters are for, gmail does not HAVE to sync with every email, you can choose what to sync or not to sync.  Of course, this is starting to head in the same direction as your ridiculous work schedule argument above.  Sometimes things get beyond what is feasible to program.



I came from the Eris as well and, as capable as that was for it's time, Androids nowadays are leaps and bounds above it.  Not only with the hardware, but with each new OS release, Google has improved performance and added features.  And once you get into the hacking scene (which is not necessary for the average user as some would have you believe), it's amazing some of the tweaks and customization you can do.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Android is getting better, but to update, you have to have a phone compatible with the new update, iOS is the same way (to a point).  Sure, you may be able to run iOS 5 on any iPhone, but it does not include all features and runs like garbage.  I would almost rather not get the update than to get a stripped down, laggy version.  I got the Eris at the end of it's life cycle, so it already had 2.1 (Eclair?) installed, and being that the Eris didn't support 2.2 (Froyo?), I basically got a phone that was unupdatable

Now this is more the fault of the Verizon location I went to (and part of a mistake I made), but I only got the Eris as a replacement for my Blackberry Storm, and not by choice.  I went to Verizon in an attempt to get my Blackberry (which I swear was broken out of the box... NEW) either fixed or replaced (after charging it, it still would not boot), when I gave it to the rep at the location, he plugged it in and told me that it showed nothing but errors (a ploy to get me to buy the Eris I believe, but I just wanted a working phone, so I believed him), now I didn't want to get a very expensive smartphone, but I was not willing to go back to a feature phone, so I was willing to go for any smartphone that had that was affordable and in stock, so the rep grabs a conveniently located box (shoulda guessed at this point, he had the Eris just sitting there before I even walked in), I pay for it, and he programs it, had I been willing to pay more, I would have probably gotten a more up to date Android smartphone, worked fine until I started having battery issues to the point the phone practically had to be plugged in to work (I would be lucky if the battery lasted 2 hours), I also noticed that anybody with an Android device (especially my nephew, who had a Sprint EVO) also had battery issues, but the iPhone's battery life was fine, then when the iPhone came to Verizon, I switched and never had problems since

Also, what do you mean about getting into the hacking scene, do you mean like rooting?  The iPhone can be jailbroken, and have similar features to the Android, unless you mean something above just simple rooting, in which case, please explain

Jailbreaking and rooting are not at all the same.  With root, you can, with the right knowledge, change clock speeds, voltages, fonts, the boot animation, completely redesign the notification bar, even get in to where you can change the native memory management and automatic screen brightness levels. 


This trend will change.  As Android grows in popularity, I would expect to see developers start to make apps for Android first.  Historically, iOS has had the larger user base and, therefore, a larger potential user base for the app.  This is no longer the case and developers would not be smart if they didn't take notice of this.

It depends on the developer, there are developers out there that only start with Android apps because Java is an easier programming language to learn than Objective-C, and there are some others that are just fed up with the way that Apple deals with some apps (I admit it, Apple isn't always fair to developers, but in some cases it's for the best, and you can see some of that with some of the problems/issues Android has)

One thing I will never understand, is why does the iPhone have native screen capture (pressing the sleep/wake and home buttons at the same time takes a snapshot of the screen), yet with Android, you have to root the phone and install a (usually unstable in my experience) third party app?  Just so you know, my Rezound is not rooted and the picture I posted above was not taken with a camera.  Several Android phones released in the last year or so have this feature and, with ICS, Google has included this in vanilla Android.  This is a pretty commonly used feature used for many reasons

As for the PNC Bank Mobile Deposit feature only being available on iOS, Android has been out for long enough that, if PNC really wanted to, they could have came out with the same or similar app for Android, instead, PNC just chose to make a portal app to their mobile website for Android (view photos below), it isn't even a real app, and if it's because Android isn't popular enough yet, then explain why Chase took the effort to do so?  This is a short-coming of PNC, not Android.  It just depends on the developer and what they choose to program for

PNC Mobile - Android Apps on Google Play                   App Store - PNC Mobile Bankinghttps://lh6.ggpht.com/wdZMrmyCpj_EdcndANk5Wgo27raSLXrXi7BKiYSgM7bMsMoadhmUiXZkcJscfQMmonA http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/096/Purple/3e/bd/3d/mzl.djkpncos.320x480-75.jpg

And here's some info on the PNC Android "App"

http://thetrendaholic.com/2010/09/29/pnc-bank-drops-the-ball-with-android/


I realize that Android an iOS are different, but the point in my post was not necessarily to tell the OP that he made the wrong choice in phones (though I would never recommend an iPhone to anybody) but to point out that your response was not helpful whatsoever.  All you did was tell him that his opinions on the phone were wrong and that, even though he doesn't like the way the phone performs some functions (and doesn't perform others) that that's the way it should be.  It ***** to be stuck in a two year contract with a device that doesn't work for how you want to use it, and to be told that you're wrong to want to use it that way just pours salt in the wound.  This is the same vibe I get from Apple as a company and one of the reasons I will never buy one of their products again.  I was really hoping that my lime green color was as irritating to read as it was to read your first post, and apparently it was, seeing as how that was the first thing you mentioned.

Now, even though I would never personally recommend an iPhone to anybody, I do realize that Android is not for everybody.  My wife's aunt and uncle are the perfect example.  They bought the iPhone 4 when it first came out, and it works for them because they wanted something simple.  Me, I want a phone that amazes me on occasion.  I like being able to go to the moviesand not having to physically take my phone out of my pocket to put it on silent, it does it by itself (yes, there's an app for that).  I like having a widget on my homescreen that tells me how much time I have left on my battery, I like having my calendar, task list, music widget, Facebook widget all on my homescreen without having to open an app.  I like pulling 30 - 40 Mbps down over my mobile connection.  I like not having to have a separate GPS unit to give me directions to a place I have never been before and, as I just found out today, I like the fact that, if I wanted to, I could make it do it in a British accent.

I was in no way trying to be irritating, I'm not at all saying that he made a bad decision in choosing Android (or any other smartphone for that matter) over the iPhone, it's a matter of opinion, therefore I find the lime green text quite uncalled for

Actually, I thought quite the opposite, I found the OP's post quite irritating, for the EXACT same reason, the OP wasn't asking for help at all, therefore my reply wasn't written to be helpful, the OP was just out to vent/rant, and at the same time were turning people off of iPhones, even those who the iPhone would be a great fit for, I felt that the OP was making iPhone users feel like they made a bad decision in picking the iPhone, which isn't exactly true, I got the iPhone as I had an iPod Touch before it, and have family members that use the iPhone, I preferred the way the iPhone/iPod Touch worked and went with it instead, that is not to say that I never will switch back to Android, but when I get a smartphone, I want something that just works, not something I have to tweak all the time just to do the simplest things, so far the iPhone 4 is the only smartphone that since almost a year after I got it, I still like it, and don't find myself waiting until my ne2 is available to switch

As for your dislike of Apple, that is only your opinion, I have worked on computers for years, and at least in my experience, Apple products are just more stable, they just work, and every Apple product I own lasts at least twice as long than any similar non-Apple product, I go through 2 or 3 PCs in the lifetime of one of my Macs

As for the OP, an Android smartphone, maybe even the Rezound, may be a great fit, and may be worth a try

0 Likes

Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

demmo86rt
Leader

hey, you read it 

0 Likes

Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

mikedamirault
Novice

demmo86rt wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

demmo86rt wrote:

Whether I had to do it all in one day or not, still not something I would want to do.

I still wouldn't find it that bad, I admit it would be nicer if the phone could do it for me, but in my opinion, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't, then again, i'm not lazy

This is completely a different scenario, if you recall, the OP was concerned about not being able to repeat a calendar event for a particular day in a particular week of the month (i.e. first Tuesday)

No it's not, I was just explaining how it could be a lot worse, to the point that instead of just doing it a couple times a year, you could be in the position where you would have to do it EVERY week, when you're in such a position, having to enter the same thing 12x doesn't seem that bad (and btw, I happen to be in one of those positions, which is the reason I brought that up), it's just complete laziness to say that putting in the same event 12x is that bad, then again, that's just my opinion, either way, I think that instead of complaining about a lack of a feature, just get the device that has the given feature and leave it at that, no need to complain

After some research (if you call it that, I typed "print" into the search bar on Google Play), there are a handful of wireless print apps for Android, including cloud print, which does not even require you to be on the same WiFi network (can do it over mobile data)

So what you are saying, is that by searching Google Play (formerly the Android Market), that you can find third party apps for the Android that you can use to print (possibly to any printer, and even from different networks), the iPhone has these apps too

The problem with these apps, is just that, they are apps, they aren't integrated, this means, say you want to print an email, instead of opening the email app and selecting the Print option from that, you have to set up POP mail forwarding to the app itself and print from that, if you want to print a website, you have to copy the link from the browser app, paste it into the browser of the printing app, then print from there

Long story short, those given apps suck

2012-03-20_19-05-51.jpg

Okay, so that proves that you can natively print from that given Android, but from what I can see, I don't see anything related to the calendar (I can see what looks like a page preview of something that could be from the calendar, then again it also looks like it could be an email, memo, etc., or just a saved image for that matter)

And even if that is from the calendar (in which case, you win), then that only proves that the OP should switch to a phone that supports it instead of switching to the iPhone when he already knows he's going to hate it, just for the purpose of making a rant

Maybe I misunderstood the fact that he was looking for tones for emails from different people, I replied under the assumption of trying to get different notification tones from different email accounts.  Also, first party or third party (you keep using this like its a real reason), what does it matter?  Either you can accomplish the feat or not.

It does, because you said that Android had a feature that supposedly the iPhone didn't, but that it was a third party app, and not only did the iPhone support it, but the iPhone supported it natively (without the use of a third party app)


That's what filters are for, gmail does not HAVE to sync with every email, you can choose what to sync or not to sync.  Of course, this is starting to head in the same direction as your ridiculous work schedule argument above.  Sometimes things get beyond what is feasible to program.

Just because an email is important doesn't mean that it's coming from somebody you know, filters are only for reoccurring emails (say from a friend, newsletter, or service info), there are important emails that aren't reoccurring, a good example would be this very forum, when you signed up for the Verizon Wireless Community (unless you logged in using your phone number, and maybe even then), you had to receive an email and click a link in it to complete the registration, that email was not reoccurring, was that email not important?

What I was saying, is say that you got an email from a friend that you didn't have set for a filter, or maybe some spam that wasn't caught by the spam filter, or some other odd email, you get the tone and message for that email and disregard it, next comes your registration email you're waiting for, there's no tone (maybe a message, but not one that alerts you), and you never know that you got that message, so now you wait for an alert you will never get, for an email that is already in your inbox, which defeats the purpose of even having an alert

And yes, you are right, it would be beyond what is feasible to program for, so we just have to live with it, my point?  Either you live with something, or you find something that works the way you want it to

iOS is the same way (to a point).  Sure, you may be able to run iOS 5 on any iPhone, but it does not include all features and runs like garbage.  I would almost rather not get the update than to get a stripped down, laggy version. 

It is true that some features would be stripped down on older iPhones, but to say it runs like garbage/is laggy is far from the truth, I have never once seen an iOS update make an older iPhone run any slower than it did before the update (unless the update had a feature that was supported, but not very well), part of the reason why Apple does that is to make more sales for their newer hardware, for example, want Siri?  Get an iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 is more than capable to run Siri (and can be done if jailbroken), but then Apple would sell one less iPhone 4S (per person that would want Siri on their iPhone 4), Apple isn't the only company to do stuff like that (Sony did the same thing with the PSP)

Jailbreaking and rooting are not at all the same.  With root, you can, with the right knowledge, change clock speeds, voltages, fonts, the boot animation, completely redesign the notification bar, even get in to where you can change the native memory management and automatic screen brightness levels.

You might not be able to change clock speeds and voltages, on a jailbroken iPhone, but I know for a fact that you can change font, themes, the notification bar, and maybe even the boot animation (I know that once jailbroken, depending on jailbreak, the Apple logo can change to something else, so far I have seen a pineapple and a skull, so there is room for customization)

But for most of us, there is no need to customize the clock speed or voltage, and on most newer phones, the screen brightness changes to ambient light, why would you want to mess with that?


This trend will change.  As Android grows in popularity, I would expect to see developers start to make apps for Android first.  Historically, iOS has had the larger user base and, therefore, a larger potential user base for the app.  This is no longer the case and developers would not be smart if they didn't take notice of this.

Just so you know, my Rezound is not rooted and the picture I posted above was not taken with a camera.  Several Android phones released in the last year or so have this feature and, with ICS, Google has included this in vanilla Android. 

Okay, fine, let me rephrase that...  Why did it take so long for Google to implement a feature they should have added since the beginning? (like Apple did), screen capturing should have been implemented since the inception of Android (like before Google had anything to do with it), not until ICS was released

Also, how exactly do you take a screenshot on ICS?  Is it a button combination (like the iPhone), or do you have to do if from the OS/software side of things?

This is a short-coming of PNC, not Android.

Exactly, that was my point, it goes along with what I said about it's up to the developer, the developer that designed the apps for Android and iOS obviously chose not to make a full fledged app for Android

You said "This trend will change.  As Android grows in popularity, I would expect to see developers start to make apps for Android first.", that also means that you would expect developers (at least those that make service based apps), to recreate their iPhone apps for Android, if that were the case, PNC would have had a true Android app already

My point, there are developers that prefer developing specifically for the iPhone and have no plans on developing for the Android, no matter how much better/easier it is to program for,

I would go as far as saying that everybody should have one of each type of smartphone, or even have a smartphone that runs all mobile OSs (maybe like a mobile VMWare), that way they can cover all their bases and there would be no reason to choose a specific one, but obviously that is impractical

My point to all this was that instead of ranting about the iPhone, the OP should have found the smartphone to better suit his needs, it was his fault for getting the iPhone without looking into what it did and did not support, I got the iPhone knowing what it supported and what it didn't, and I like what it does support and I don't care about what it doesn't, and I am very happy with my choice

Like I said before, the iPhone was the first smartphone I had that I still like as much now as I did the day I got it, I do miss the features that I had on my Eris before getting the iPhone, but I am quite happy I made the switch

0 Likes

Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

Calendar - 2nd Tuesday... - If your use is related to business, you probably use an email platform which includes a calendar.  Simply book the meeting within your desktop email (Outlook, for example) - set the recurrence, then it'll appear on your 'work' (or whatever you name it) calendar on the phone... Another option is, after this meeting, simply reschedule it for the next month - unless you need an excessive amount of [historical] Calendar details...

Calendar - Print the calendar.... I don't understand why you'd want to print it from your phone - if you're near a printer, you're most likely near a computer (print it from there)? However - there are many options to print from an iPhone:      1) AirPrinter; 2) Install an app (some free, some aren't) and set up to print to your wireless printer - I use PrintAgent and Canon EPP with both HP and Canon multi-function machines

Hyperlink / Internet Browser / Back Button - This doesn't make any sense to me; I can't see the logic in the browser's "back" button bringing the email to the forefront.  A simple double-click of the Home button will remedy this

Alert System - I don't really understand your complaint..... Is it your desire to assign custom alerts/notifications to individual Contacts?  If so, you're completely incorrect:  Go to Contacts - Select Contact - Edit - Assign custom Ringtone, Text Tone (and Vibration, if you've turned on Custom Vibrations......Settings - General - Accessibility - Custom Vibrations "ON").  If it's your desire to assign "custom" alerts to email accounts....I'd think you could successfully manage this via your Mail, Contacts, Calendar Settings - and choose Push, Fetch or Manual delivery.  Personally, I don't Push any - I'm most likely going to handle a majority from my desk, and only access from my phone when I'm away from the office.....although I realize your needs may vary greatly from my own.  Another benefit of using Fetch (email uploads when you access the account) is that your battery power is greatly improved....

Mail Folders.....do you mean Mail Accounts?  Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Fetch New Data.  Be sure Push is "ON"... Scroll down to select Advanced - then select each Mail Account and choose Push, Fetch or Manual.  As you make your selection, a brief description appears below. 

Glass case..... Apple had to do something that would render the iPhone 'less than perfect'....  Smiley Happy

I'd suggest a free app - iPhone Tips & Tricks Lite - or it's $0.99 'upgrade' - as a useful tool.  And, there are several non-carrier and/or non-Apple websites which have very good info. 

It seems that most of your concerns are more related to the fact that it's a signigicant change for the User - and I completely understand!!!  I migrated from BB - and couldn't be happier.  I'm very impressed with Apple's committment to be consistent with the basics - operating system, accessories, basic use, etc.  With BB and many other vendors, a new device also equates to new charging accessories, new software and usually relearning to use the new equipment - on the other hand, if you can operate an iPhone, you'll have no trouble with an iPad or an iPod... Seamless!

0 Likes

Re: iPhone not all it is cracked up to be.

commonsense101
Sr. Member

Like most apple products its old technology wrapped in a pretty package and a dream..

0 Likes