iPhone 4S assessment. Does it meet expectations?
furyzin

I'm contemplating trading in my Droid X for the iPhone 4S. You've been using it now for nearly a week. Are you satisfied? Were the reception problems ironed out? Is it noticeably faster? How's the camera?

Although I've had a relatively stable experience with Android, it's still not what it should be.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4S assessment. Does it meet expectations?
smitty97007
Contributor - Level 1

I went from HTC Incredible to iPhone4s and couldn't be happier.  iOS is so much more stable than Android.  The interface is remarkably smoother.  I have never had reception problems, so can't help you there.  The camera is phenomenal.  I had an 8 megapixel camera on the HTC and it was crap against the iPhone 3G camera, let alone the 4s, which is brilliant.

After receiving the Gingerbread update, several key features of my Droid broke completely or stopped functioning properly.  You just never know what you're going to expect when a software vendor has to make its software work on multiple hardware platforms.  I never thought I'd go to Apple, but I'm all in.  The iPhone4s is a beautiful piece of engineering.

0 Likes
JoeNe
Contributor - Level 2

I just came from a Droid Charge and haven't missed it for a second.  As previous poster stated the OS is very stable.  The phone is fast and graphics amazing. Camera is great too.  I can also say that the antenna is very good.  I drove a stretch of about 10 miles that is notorious for dropped calls and no signal at all.  Although I still dropped the call, I was able to reconnect quickly, had no digital breakup and was able to carry on a conversation.  This was not the case with the Droid or my company BB.

0 Likes
tim600sl
Contributor - Level 3

I've been using android for 1.5 years, not only I agree with above comments, but it's kind of like breathing fresh air after a dust storm. 

0 Likes
johneb2452812

I recently upgraded from the Droid X to the iPhone 4s (32 gb).   And yes it has met my expectations.   I upgraded because of quirks I was having with the Droid X.  Not major issues, but just annoying at times.  I have had no reception problems whatsoever with the iPhone.  With the Droid X, I did experience some dropping and rebooting quirks, but as mentioned above, nothing major.   I find the OS on the iPhone is very stable and responsive.   Below is the pros and cons I have found in my usage in comparing the two phones:

iPhone Pros:

OS very stable, fast, and responsive to the touch

Reception and call quality are very good

Display is excellent.

Apps are abundant, with quite a variety selection

Cloud services appear to be very good (still evaluating it)

I have not utilized the voice activated Siri yet.

iPhone Cons:

No Flash, although with the upcoming HTML5 aspect, this should start minimizing this issue

No widgets.   I know it is not Apple's forte, but I must admit I do miss them at times.

Even with the advent of the "Cloud", you still must utilize Itunes for some apps and / or transfers.

When all is said and done, I would definitely reccomend the phone.  Note: I plan to utilize my Droid X for music, videos, and wi-fi access only.    Hope this helps!

0 Likes
SGMD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

furyzin wrote:

I'm contemplating trading in my Droid X for the iPhone 4S. You've been using it now for nearly a week. Are you satisfied? Were the reception problems ironed out? Is it noticeably faster? How's the camera?

Although I've had a relatively stable experience with Android, it's still not what it should be.

I think this answer is different depending on what device you're coming from.

If you're coming from a dumbphone, the iPhone 4S will likely be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If you're coming from Android, there will be some major improvements (smooth UI, more polished interface, easier music/photo syncing, etc.) but there will also be things you might miss if you've gotten used to them (i.e. free Google Navigation, LED notifications, widgets, taskbar notifications).

I can tell you the camera is amazing. Here is a site which compares the same shot taken with every iPhone iteration along with DSLRs, and you can judge for yourself.

0 Likes