iPhone 4 switching between 3G and O...But I am not moving
abekon
Enthusiast - Level 2

My iPhone 4 has been switching between 3G and O all day.  It is now doing it when the phone is just sitting on my desk.  I'm not moving and watching the 3G switch to O and back again every once and awhile.  I originally noticed it happening every time I tried to download new email or get on Safari, every time I tried to use data. 

I just did the *228 thing and no help.  Data roaming is turned "on". 

My speedtest is showing:

Ping:1256ms

Download: 0.07mbps

Upload: 0.00Mbps

Absolutely horrendous!

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 4 switching between 3G and O...But I am not moving
abekon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I called VZW last night and had me do the only thing I hadn't done which was *228, option 1.  Other than that they said I could connect my phone to iTunes to make sure I had the latest updates, which I had already done.  After that they said to keep using apps that would use a lot of data and they would call me back in 10 minutes to make sure everything was working properly.  It continued to flip back and forth between 3G and 0 for a few more hours.  They never did call me back. 

It hasn't done it a single time today, which is encouraging.  It's looking like there were network problems in this area (Boston, MA) or cell tower work or something.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You're saying it is happening at your desk...is it happening in locations other than your desk? I mean, outside of or in a different place than the building you're currently having the issue.

0 Likes
abekon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it was doing the same when I was driving here this afternoon.  I was listening to Pandora and it would suddenly stop playing for a bit then come back on.  When I looked at the phone, that's when I noticed it.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Might be your area...have you contacted VZW to see if there is an issue in your area?

0 Likes
abekon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not kaebfly, but will try to now.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

It's also possible that you're experiencing a variation of the issue that some users have had for awhile on here with no solution to date. There is a long thread about it (but the thread is titled saying that they show "no service"...if I'm not mistaken mixed into that thread are those that experience issues like you mentioned). Not everyone has this problem but for those that have it it appears to be very frustrating. Hopefully you can get an answer from VZW.

0 Likes
mmiphone4

I have been having the same issue recently. Let us know if you find out anything.

0 Likes
abekon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I called VZW last night and had me do the only thing I hadn't done which was *228, option 1.  Other than that they said I could connect my phone to iTunes to make sure I had the latest updates, which I had already done.  After that they said to keep using apps that would use a lot of data and they would call me back in 10 minutes to make sure everything was working properly.  It continued to flip back and forth between 3G and 0 for a few more hours.  They never did call me back. 

It hasn't done it a single time today, which is encouraging.  It's looking like there were network problems in this area (Boston, MA) or cell tower work or something.

0 Likes