Re: iPhone 4. Verizon. It Begins.
Disco63
Contributor - Level 1

What worries me is the fact that Verizon has yet to publish the data plan pricing for the iPhone.   I have a feeling that we may be in for a big surprise.  iPad data plans go as highas $80!

0 Likes
Teadge

Why is the full retail price from Verizon higher than from Apple?

0 Likes
courtney678

Okay 2 questions:

1. I have heard that the 4G LTE network will be available spring/summer 2011. If I get the iPhone now, would I be able to switch it to the 4G network somehow, or would I have to purchase it again thus saying there will be a new 4G version made?

2. Apple comes out with a new iPhone every summer. Say they come out with the iPhone 5, will Verizon receive it?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

@teadge......who knows? maybe it's because it has hotspot capability? maybe it's just because they can charge more because the have a superior network? maybe apple is charginf vzn more than it charges at&t????

@courtney.....no. the ip4 will not be capable of using the LTE network. and nobody knows when vzn would get the ip5. they will get a newer iphone eventually, but nobody knows when. some people will wait for an LTE version and may end up waiting for over a year. then again, some people may get the ip4 in a couple months and find out that in July an ip5 that is LTE capable will come out. who knows?

0 Likes
black743
Contributor - Level 1

I still can't believe they won't put the data plan mystery to bed already.  You have news media out there yelling about $120 data plans, which could well be scaring potential customers away...why the secrecy?  Haven't they got all this figured out yet?  They have been planning this for a year and still so many questions?

0 Likes
Eshe2010

Honestly, I don't think the iPhone 5 will come this year for Verizon because the LTE won't be  nationwide this year. . If there is new iPhone coming this summer probably won't be iPhone 5...more like iPhone 4gs like iPhone 3gs. and also whose to say it will come on Verizon?  I personally I don't care if there is a newer iPhone in the Summer . I am still going to buy the iPhone 4 when it comes out. I don't care having the lastest and greatest because you spend the rest of you lives trying to play "catch up"  and you always be behind in technolgoy. As long as the iPhone 4 it does what needs to do for me. I am okay with that. Software updates. I am good. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Teadge

I hope it to be true; the Wall Street Journal, who has a good record of being right on Apple news rumors, has said that Verizon will be keeping the unlimited data plans at $30 a month for the iphone.  

http://gizmodo.com/5729054/verizon-to-offer-unlimited-data-plan-to-iphone-owners

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

eshe2010.....you are correct in that there is no sense in even trying to always have the latest and greatest. unless you are willing to pay retail every so often, then you'll never have the newest device. if people liek the ip4 now then they should go ahead and get it. my device is 8 months old and i still love it and would buy it again today...even at 8 months old. i do think they will want to release an LTE version though. LTE is already available in 40 major markets. sprint put out the 4g EVO and they have MUCH less 4g coverage than verizon. and since all of the upcoming androids will be LTE/4g, i think apple will not want to miss that boat.

0 Likes
iphonejunkie3

AZSALUKI wrote:

eshe2010.....you are correct in that there is no sense in even trying to always have the latest and greatest. unless you are willing to pay retail every so often, then you'll never have the newest device. if people liek the ip4 now then they should go ahead and get it. my device is 8 months old and i still love it and would buy it again today...even at 8 months old. i do think they will want to release an LTE version though. LTE is already available in 40 major markets. sprint put out the 4g EVO and they have MUCH less 4g coverage than verizon. and since all of the upcoming androids will be LTE/4g, i think apple will not want to miss that boat.

I've kept all of my iPhones.  I kept them operational with the most current iOS updates until the update was no longer compatible.  That has only occurred with my first iPhone (EDGE only, 8GB), iPhone 3G (16 GB).  WRT the 3G, it was current until the latest iOS beta (4.3) was released.  2.5 years of being able to use nearly all features is not bad.

Once the iPhone is outdated and replaced, it becomes an excellent iPod Touch.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

that's good because the people that get one next month better hope theirs will be relevant for 2.5 years. it was released last july i think? and feb 2011 contracts will get their upgrade in feb 2013. it will be 2.5 years old by then. unless of course they buy a new version at retail.....but that price is CRAZY!!!! honestly i've never paid much attention to the iphone. i knew it was popular and expensive, but i had NO idea it was going to retail for $750. and after checking ip4's on ebay, you aparently pay near full price for a used one? i just don't get it? people can spend their money on whatever they want, but $750 for a device that will be inferioir in a few months is nuts to me. i get that it will get the OS updates and such, but the hardware is what it is. single core, 3g. i'm just curious to see how irate those that are already complaining and wanting an early upgrade will be, if they get it and less than a year later the dual core, LTE/4g version comes out. yeah....you can use the same features, but at a much slower speed.

0 Likes