Re: iOS 4.3 Software Update
droid-geek
Enthusiast - Level 3

kaebfly wrote:

dbbrass wrote:

I read somewhere that the faster Nitro Java Script engine isn't in 4.2.6 but you are correct, the real issue is how fast your connection is.  Hey but every little bit helps, right?  I'll take those couple of hundred extra milliseconds.  :smileywink:

I'm good with what I have....at least in regards to the issues that some on AT&T are experiencing with the update. Even when VZ gets an update I'll probably wait to see what happens with the early adapters before I decide if it's worth the update. Especially since you can't downgrade if you have a problem. That's just a habit I have even when it comes to updates for my iPods...I usually wait it out and see what others complain about before I update. If the complaints are about things that don't mean much to me then I go for it. Otherwise I stick with what I have lol.

And now they are talking about 4.3.1 to fix some exploits (since TOS on the this board does not allow to go into detail just imagine escaping from a facility that keeps you incarcerated when you have been arrested and you should be able to figure it out :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Oops...not sure what happened but my original reply did not post. NM!

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks to all the community members for your feedback. Adding to what was stated, in the coming months, iOS 4.3 and or some extension of it (such as 4.3.1) will be pushed as a free software update to the Verizon 3G iPhone 4 that we sell today. 

Currently, our iPhone uses iOS 4.2.6 version. This release was designed specifically for the CDMA version of the iPhone that we sell. It already includes many of the most recent features that iOS 4.3 is just now providing to the GSM version of the iPhone, including Mobile Hotspot.  Also, here is a link for more device assistance: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5355

Thanks,

edw@vzwsupport

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport 

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Well I hate to sound skeptical, but I'll believe it when I see it.  And if it does happen, I hope it also eliminates this fragmentation and that ALL iphone (GSM and CDMA) users get this future update and then from then on receive updates simulateously.   I'm still holdin' out that Verizon will be treated with the same love that Apple gives AT&T in regards to iPhones.  The real validation will be whether or not Verizon gets the iPhone 5 at the same time as the rest of planet.  There's plenty of Verizon customers who are holding out and didn't purchase the iphone 4 because of their expectations of the iphone 5 being made available this summer to both carriers in this country.  If they could do it with the iPad, why not with the iPhone?

0 Likes
beastcmg

This is typical verizon.

the only thing the same between 4.2.6 and 4.3 is the hotspot

4.2.6 does not have 

1. AirPlay Enhancements

2. Nitro JavaScript engine powering Safari

3. iTunes Home Sharing

4. and with the release of 4.3.1 the secrurity fix for safari

So your statement

"Currently, our iPhone uses iOS 4.2.6 version. This release was designed specifically for the CDMA version of the iPhone that we sell. It already includes many of the most recent features that iOS 4.3 is just now providing to the GSM version of the iPhone, including Mobile Hotspot. " is not correct.

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

You may forget about iOS upgrade to 4.3... Fascinate users were promised Froyo update 6 (six) months ago and NOTHING!

Verizon is successful at butchering any possible updates from manufacture. I starting to dislike Verizon more and more every day!

Verizon can you hear me now?!

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Don't be so quick to blame Verizon for this one.  It's more likely that Apple just isn't ready to release it yet because it's simply not ready.  Of course, I don't know for sure, but I don't believe that Verizon has much to say in regards to when releases are pushed from Apple.  Apple handles this in the case of the iPhone, not Verizon.  The real question is the timing of said releases and whether or not upgrades of both hardware and software will eventually... be simultaneous in this country for both carriers.  There's a lot of people who think that Apple has set the CDMA iphone's release cycle to every February.  If that's the case then expect similar staggered releases for everything iphone (including software updates).  But I expect everybody to be on the same page by this summer at the very latest.  Only Apple knows!  Everybody else is guessing... including me!  :smileywink:

0 Likes
beastcmg

Verizon has no say about the updates.

This is correct they have no control over what apple does, this is not an open android device.

If you want to know what is going on with updates VZW is not the correct support to ask, Apple is. What is going on is the CDMA iPhone 4 just came out (released with 4.2.5 updated to 4.2.6, this was the same as 4.2.1 on GSM with the exception of CDMA firmware and Hotspot) and is out of sequence, just like the original iPad it was out of sequence for at least the first 2 major updates, the CDMA iPhone 4 will get an update its just in catch-up mode. By the second or 3rd major update they will most likely be in-sink with the rest of the iOS devices. They do have to deal with 2 different radios, so lets just be a bit patient with getting the update.

0 Likes
mabukaOne

The real issue is that there are several apps I'd like to buy that require the iOS 4.3 update. If there there is some feature or technical capability in the iOS 4.3 update that is NOT in the latest Verizon iPhone update 4.2.9, then Verizon really needs to incorporate those somehow or effectively get to a 4.3.x update. I'm pretty certain that the features in the app are not cellular chip dependent.. Either app vendors need to develop and test on the latest updates for both devices or Apple needs to somehow consolidate back to one version of the update for each phone's chip and release them at the same time. This is starting to look like Linux to me.

0 Likes