iMessage and FaceTime question
jetta1981

Do you get charged for using iMessage or FaceTime? More specifically, I'm in the US and my boyfriend is in the UK. Will our texting bill go through the roof or are these things actually totally free, internationally as well as in the US? Everything I've read online said that iMessage takes up data, NOT actual texting. And FaceTime is all through wifi right? So that's free as well?

Thank you!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iMessage and FaceTime question
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello jetta1981,

The United Kingdom is one of my favorite vacation spots! I love the architecture and the British accents! I hope he have a wonderful time in the UK, even if he is there for work! I have GREAT news for you! I'm assuming that you both use iPhones! If you do then iMessage and Facetime is absolutely free if the two of you are using wi-fi.

As I'm sure you know, Facetime can only be used on wi-fi. On a Facetime call, there isn't any airtime minutes or international minutes used. If a call is made first then switched to Facetime then there are minutes used all the way up to the point of when Facetime connects. The Facetime part does not use any minutes. If the call is initially made using Facetime then there isn't any minutes used at all.

The same can be said for iMessage but it's a little more difficult. Since you are in the US and you already have a data package then you don't have to use wi-fi for iMessage to avoid charges. Your boyfriend, however, will have to use wi-fi to avoid international data charges for iMessages. Another option is that he can sign up for an international data package. This will allow him to use iMessage without the use of wi-fi. Although I still encourage using wi-fi as his primary means of communication, he does have the option to subscribe to a international data package for his trip to the UK if he would like true iMessage mobility. I have posted a link to our international data service for you review and a link about FaceTime!

VZW International Roaming: http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/GlobalData/rates_coverage.html

FaceTime: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4319

Thank you for allowing to assist and feel free to post pics when he gets back!

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

mmayeb

Hello,

I had the same questions as jetta1981 but in addition would like to know if your facetime usage appears on your billing statement?

Thank you!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mmayeb,

I apologized for the delayed response but I am here to help!  Facetime does not use airtime and will not appear on your bill because the feature can only be used via wi-fi. I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you for your involvement in our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

Coffeemate200

can you please explain then why my facetime calls to the UK have been incurring large charges through Verizon who tell me that the calls are routed through data and incur internation charges.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Coffeemate200, FaceTime is a great feature to take advantage of, and I want to ensure that you have the correct information in regard to billing. For best results, we recommend connecting to a Wi-Fi network if you are using FaceTime. This helps to avoid being billed if your FaceTime call is consuming data over our cellular network. To clarify, do you have Wi-Fi available at your location?

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes