advised by Verizonn to purchase a new phone not needed
PAUCON86

I went to a Verizon store, concerned that my Apple iPhone 4 was shutting off for no reason.

There was to conversation from the Staff concerning Tests, Diagnostic Tools or sending it off to apple for repairs.

Rather, I was advised, simply; that I needed to purchase a new phone.

Two years forward, I call apple regarding the ''Battery Scandal'', and while on the phone with them - After having my current Apple SE tested  - I asked if they would put my Apple 4 through  those same Diagnostic Tools. They were done, and the iPhone 4 is functioning and according to Apple, '' in need of no immediate service. ''

My issue is that I went to Verizon seeking their advice and expertise, and they offered no suggestion other than - '' You need a new phone '', Hence the reason I purchased the SE.

At the time, the Apple 4 was using current technology, it was not a '' vintage phone ''. And, had there been a Duty of Care on the part of the Salesperson I dealt with, they might have advised that I have those tests done, send it to  Apple for repair, etc... Instead of simply suggesting that I buy a new phone, when such a purchase was not required.

I believe that a Credit to my account is warranted, due to the willful negligence and failure to provide alternatives. Failure to take care of the customer, who goes to Verizon for their expertise and knowledge.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: advised by Verizonn to purchase a new phone not needed
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, if the iPhone SE was available as a replacement the iPhone 4 was released 6 years prior which would make it "vintage" by almost any standard.

iPhone 4 release date - June of 2010.

IPhone SE release date - March 2016.

I can't think of any 6 year old phone technology which would not be considered "vintage".

Whether or not a phone needs to be replaced depends on what you can live with.

Additionally, 2 yrs ago, Verizon stores did not have service, i.e diagnostic, facilities in their stores. Last year, Verizon started adding such facilities to some of their stores.

The iPhone 4 cannot run the most current iOS and does not have the capability to update to current versions of MANY apps. To many, this would constitute a reason why someone would recommend purchasing a new device. Even 2 years ago when the iPhone 4 was 6 year old technology and no longer getting iOS updates, it was not unreasonable to get such a recommendation, at least in my opinion. Now, it is almost 8 year old technology.

You would likely to have gotten the same recommendation from an Apple Store employee.

0 Likes
PAUCON86

I thank you for taking the time to respond to my Submission....

I realize that I took the risk of being ''Supported or Not'', when I wrote of what happened at the Verizon Store. And, the wind has been taken out of my sail.

This consumer knows nothing of Diagnostics, IOS Updates, etc... He does know that he went into Verizon expecting to get the same high level quality of service that he had experienced in the past...

And looking back at that experience - I feel that I was short changed.

Had there been talk of  ''Troubleshooting '', sending the Apple 4 out for inspection and or potential repair, I might not find myself having to write about an event that took place 2 years ago. I trusted and relied on the judgement of the Verizon Staff that I dealt with that day, And, (based on what is known today ), feel that because of a possible lack of initiative or lapse of judgement,  I was advised that a new phone was my only alternative......

No discussion about the Apple 4 already being an ( old phone ), Simply, I was advised to get a new phone.

Not the type that cares about the newest model, etc...I might very well have bought a phone - But, I was denied the alternatives, so that I could make an educated and informed decision .

What the Store lacked at the time in terms of Testing abilities is irrelevant ( though interesting ). What they did have, however; was far more knowledge than I did, and I was denied that information .

Once again, I thank you for your input. Your position is clear, logical and to the point.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You state the store had far more knowledge than you in light of information which has recently come to light. It is unlikely Verizon was aware of Apple's practice of intentionally slowing down older iPhones to the point that some apps would actually shut down the device.

Apple certainly wasn't sharing that information or else these allegations would have come to light long ago. I can't think of any reason Verizon would be aware of this, or ANY cellular provider, or else they would be included in the pending litigation in this matter.

Verizon also wasn't in the business of repairing phones at the time. They offered insurance which would have given you the option to relinquish your device in exchange for a refurbished one of the same model if the insurance company had one in stock. If not, you would likely be waiting until they did get one to give you. I have never heard of Verizon acting as a repair shop for older phones, especially 2 yrs ago. Possibly now that SOME locations have onsite repair facilities, but not then. Even now these onsite facilities are likely limited to "recent" devices and not 6 year old phones. Wishing you would have been given that option without knowing if it was even available does not make it a possible course of action at the time.

You have ALWAYS been able to return the device to the manufacturer for repair, but Verizon has NEVER acted as a facilitator for this service and would not have given you this option because they didn't offer that option, then OR now. The only instance I can think of where they did was the Note 7 fiasco last year, but that is the only device. Sure it would be nice if they did, but they don't currently and didn't at the time. Additionally, when you do return your device for repair, you can be without it for a couple of weeks to a month or more. I know this from experience. Did you have an old device to use during the time yours would have been out for repair? I did and was using it for close to a month at the time.

You are correct that Verizon does not point out ALL options. They do, however point out the options they are able to provide. At the time, that did not include repair or diagnosing what may have been the problem. IF you had insurance, possibly you should have been offered a refurbished replacement, but that may just have easily gotten you another phone with the same problems given the current information about how Apple operates. THEN you would have been out the $200 insurance deductible and STILL would need to purchase a new device.

Reading your story, I think you were given the only option available at a Verizon store and likely the only option you would have likely gotten had you even taken the phone to an Apple store at the time, however that is only my opinion.

Good luck whether you stay with Verizon or switch to another provider.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DeloresK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PAUCON86, we understand how important it is to make sure your devices are properly evaluated when you visit a store location. We never want you to feel that your device (iPhone 4) was not given the proper treatment when it was having the “shutting off” concern 2 years ago. Rcschnoor, provided great information when it came to our processes and limitations to submit a diagnostic for your device during that time. At our store locations, we will have the option to evaluate your device and process troubleshooting steps to try and solve the concern your iPhone 4 was experiencing. We would then have the option to send out a warranty/insurance replacement if it was available on your account. We do not have the option to send your device directly to the manufacturer. You would have needed to contact the manufacturer directly to request to have your device further evaluated. We truly apologize for any inconvenience in this matter. We are here to make sure your current device (iPhone SE) is working properly. Can you please let us know if you are experiencing concerns with your current device?

SylviaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes