Wifi issues with iphone not responding
mhooven

Phone: iPhone 4s.

This issue started approximately two weeks ago. My phone initially started with the Wifi connection greyed out, I followed the appropriate steps to resolve this issue, and was successful. Now I can turn the wifi connection on without problems, but my iPhone will freeze (delay), then return me to my homescreen. Occasionally I do automatically connect to my known wifi, but then will disconnect and return to 3G. If I make an attempt to go to settings to manually reconnect, the phone again freezes. The phone seems to freeze after I click settings, then when pressing Wi-Fi, the bar turns dark bold, but freezes and doesn't open. I then have to click my home button, return to the main menu. Also if I open an app during the seldom opportunity my phone is connected to wifi, the phone will disconnect, return to 3G and freeze. I have rebooted my routers, forgot networks, reset network settings. I have thought about resetting the entire phone, but my phone will not stay connected to wifi long enough for me to back up my data to iCloud. I am thinking of stopping into my local verizon store, but I think they will redirect me to an apple store; which is 35 miles away. Of course the problem with me not connecting to Wi-Fi is my increased use of data. Now I am over 75% for my monthly usage with 2 weeks remaining, and do not see justification in possibly having to pay the overage fee. Many times when my phone freezes due to these wifi issues, or will not respond, I have to do the manual power/home reset. In conclusion, I need to figure out how to maintain my connection to Wi-fi, and stop my phone from not responding when I open my wifi settings. Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Wifi issues with iphone not responding
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mhooven, thanks for these details. Let's defrost that device. Have you downloaded applications to your device? This may be a memory capacity issue. Try deleting any unwanted applications, text messages, e-mails, and call logs. You will need to power your device off/on to soft reset. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
daddyschmidt71

My wife's uncles iPhone just started doing the same thing. I tried resetting network settings, the phone, etc. Now his wifi on/off slider is greyed out and you can't turn the wifi on at all. He's had it for a little over a year. I'm curious if Verizon is willing to do anything about this. He is chewing up data since he isn't connecting to his wi fi at home now. His also said at one point "cannot scan for wireless networks" , that to me says it's a hardware issue...I'm not sure though.

0 Likes
mhooven

Brought my phone into my local Verizon Wireless store. After speaking with the sale associate; she informed me that with the new iOS update, some iPhone 4s's are having their wifi connections malfunction. Fortunately, I do pay for the insurance, which I was told covers this wifi issue. So in the end, I did receive a partial answer. Apparently, some 4s' are affected while others are not. She asked me similar questions to the troubleshooting I attempted: Network reset; etc. Seems in my case, the only resolution was the new phone through my insurance coverage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mhooven,

We're glad to hear that your device is covered! If need be, as long as no physical/liquid damage is present, we may issue a warranty replacement. Have we since been able to replace the device?

EfrainM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hessie28

My Iphone 4S is doing the same thing..  All of a sudden the WIFI button is gray and not working.  I chatted online with a Rep.  He had me call *228 and hit option 1, then call again and hit option 2.  All of a sudden the WIFI button was black.  But it could not find any network.  I shut it off and restarted it and now button gray again.  I called that number again and still gray.  I read somewhere else that a lot of people have a problem with the WIFI button.  They say it basically just stops working.  This was a replacement phone because the volume stopped working on my original phone.  I assume they gave me a refurbished one because it didn't seem new.   I'm due an upgrade in 3 months.   I'm disabled and just hate driving to the store again.  I wish there was an easier way. 

0 Likes