Why won't my device work in my apartment?
nscioli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Verizon,

For the past 4-5 days, I have been unable to make calls while I am in my apartment, and texts are constantly coming back "failure to send message." I have visited a Verizon store nearby, and they reset my network settings, which I have now done numerous times. It seems to just be when I am in my apartment, but it is odd b/c it just recently started being a problem. No recent damage to phone. Its an iPhone 4s, my zip code is 94904, right outside San Francisco. Anything else I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Niki

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cell phone not working in my home?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello nscioli,

Your patience on this matter is greatly appreciated. In a traditional situation, a ticket would be the next step in verifying/confirming the issue. Upon reading your original post, you stated that the issue is only in your apartment. If this is the case then my professional opinion would be to try the network extender. I'm confident that you will be more than happy with the extender's performance in your apartment. While we can open a ticket for you, the results of the 3-5 day investigate will likely lead to the same conclusion. In eith case, the choice is yours my friend. How would you like to proceed?

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to enjoy reliable service in as many locations as possible nscioli! I do see some challenges for your zip code to the west. Indoor locations will offer additional challenges, as our control is limited with structures. How is the service outside your apartment? Are you power cycling your device daily? When did you last update your preferred roaming list? Dial *228, option 2.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
nscioli
Enthusiast - Level 2

HI Jonathan,

Thank you so much for getting back to me so fast. I really appreciate it.

Interesting about my zip code, I didn¹t know that. My work zip code is 94945

and I experiences problems here as well, thought not to the extent as at my

apartment.

To answer your questions:

Service outside my apartment is much better, phone works smoothly for the

most part, though sometimes the 3G is a 1X? I don¹t know what a 1X means.

Also, sorry to be dense, but what exactly is "power cycling² ? Shutting my

phone on/off? Sorry to be clueless!

No idea when I last updated my roaming list, I will do that right now.

Thank you for your continued help with this.

Niki

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Niki,

Thank you for the information. It sounds like issues are more related to structural interference. Now you did state that the issues started more recently in your apartment. Do you know if anything is/has been added to the apartment recently: i.e. new construction or sattelite dishes what not? Also power cycling is the process of turning device on and off. Keep us updated on this information and I am sure we can resolve this together.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW

0 Likes
nscioli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your continued help with this issue. I certainly need to power

cycle my phone regularly, I am quite bad at doing that. As far as

construction/satellite dishes, I can only assume so, though I haven¹t

directly seen anything. But I do live in a building that has new tenants a

lot and in a major thoroughfare with traffic/construction/etc.

Niki

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Niki,

I do appreciate the details! Were you able to power cycle your phone? Did that improve your experience at all? We definitely want to make sure you have the best connection possible. Please keep us posted!

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nscioli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ruth,

Sorry for the naivety, but how long should I power cycle the phone for? How

long keep it off for? I have done it a few times now, without any change in

the situation.

Thanks!

Niki

gendudr
Enthusiast - Level 2

GSM not CDMA is better indoors. TMobile gives better signal than Verizon's CDMA indoors. I have both and recently have been reaching for my TMobile device when in the past Verizon used to be the best. No longer, sadly.

Tidbits
Legend

Doesn't matter GSM or CDMA. What matters is frequencies and terrain.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your patience is very much appreciated on this issue nscioli. We are committed to getting this issue resolved for you. May I ask was it working prior to the 4-5 days that you specified in your original post? Also, what iOS and carrier version do you have installed? If you haven't done so then I would recommend resetting the network settings and retest. Here's a link on how to do so.

http://vz.to/KYrDqd

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes