When connected to WiFi am I charged against my data plan?
iPhoneVirgin90

Hello, I'm new to Verizon and to the iPhone. I would like to know if when I'm connected to WiFi hotspots (home, work and school) will I be charged for data against my 2GB allowance when browsing the net, using apps, etc? I know how to connect to wifi and it does it perfectly and I see the little wifi signal. I just hope that it isn't charged against limit. I was with T-Mobile prior and had unlimited data so I never paid attention to my usage so I don't know if the 2GB will be enough for me. Any help and clarification on this matter would be of great help. THANKS!

Sorry if this post is a repeat, I searched but didn't find anything that answered this question. Have a good day!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When connected to WiFi am I charged against my data plan?
thatdecade
Enthusiast - Level 3
2GB is more than plenty for light browsing and heavy app usage (Facebook, Flipboard, etc).

While connected to wifi there is a small chance that an app will switch over to the cell connection and start eating your allowance. To prevent this from happening, turn off cell data in settings.
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You might want to contact VZW and see if you can get the double promotion (if it hasn't expired yet)....then you would get 4GB for the price of the 2GB you currently get. I honestly don't pay attention to my usage either (I was grandfathered in to my unlimited data plan), but I know that if you're using wifi then your data plan will not be charged. Also, I haven't had any issues where my wifi use would switch to my data plan...I use wifi mostly at my home though. If there is ever an issue with my wifi (has happened twice, but it was an issue with my wifi provider and not the iPhone) then I couldn't connect to anything without first turning off my wifi so the phone would use 3G. I think it was still connecting to my wifi but it was connected to the local network...like my computers would do, but had no access to the internet.

0 Likes
iPhoneVirgin90

Thanks for the tip. But I just called VZW and the promotion is only for 4g devices, I have iPhone 4 which is not 4g. -@kaebfly

Ok thanks I figured the 2g should be alright, but wanted to be sure. I looked at my usage so far and I've used .23GB of data in 7 days. I should be ok. @thatdecade

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
kerouac

I have a Galaxy Tab 7, only ever use it connected to wifi.

In my first data month tit used 1GB of my 2GB allowance. I asked how this could be, and the store told me it rounds up and my actual consumption was 400MB. I figured since it was running Android it was accesssing email and facebook even when i wasn't aware, something so far as I know the iPhone will not do.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

iPhoneVirgin90 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. But I just called VZW and the promotion is only for 4g devices, I have iPhone 4 which is not 4g. -@kaebfly

Ok thanks I figured the 2g should be alright, but wanted to be sure. I looked at my usage so far and I've used .23GB of data in 7 days. I should be ok. @thatdecade

Thanks again for your help.

Oh ok. I recall someone on these forums claiming they had been able to get their data switched to the promotion on their new iPhone (may have been a 4s or a 4). At any rate, at least you know you should be ok with your current data usage.

0 Likes