Re: Was it a mistake to buy a 4s with only 3G?
farocco53
Enthusiast - Level 3

>>because its an iphone<<

That's not helpful.

I like mac, I also have an iMac.

I am just wondering what reasons people would buy the IPhone over a droid.

I do not plan on buying the droid, I like my iPhone, but am concerned if the lack of LTE would make me regret it down the road.

0 Likes
gerelee
Enthusiast - Level 3

farocco53 wrote:

so 4g is going to be much faster.

Is that alone worth getting a droid?

Why did others buy the iPhone 4s if 3g was that much slower?

Thanks

yes 4g is MUCH FASTER!

depends on your needs as to whether you get a droid or not .. or get both!!! it's not a cut 'n dried answer, they each do things that the other can't.

4g also eats your battery like a kid with a bag of halloween candy BUT, it can be turned off. for me, the 4g phones would lose ALL CONNECTIONS to the internet, fairly regularly, which my 3g phones just don't do .. so it was a rather easy decision.

0 Likes
farocco53
Enthusiast - Level 3

>>4g also eats your battery like a kid with a bag of halloween candy BUT, it can be turned off. for me, the 4g phones would lose ALL CONNECTIONS to the internet, fairly regularly, which my 3g phones just don't do .. so it was a rather easy decision.<<

I di not know this, this kind of make me feel better about the iPhone 4s.

Thanks

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

farocco53 wrote:

>>because its an iphone<<

That's not helpful.

It might not be helpful, but that does not make it an inaccurate answer. For many, that IS the reason it was purchased.

0 Likes
farocco53
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't argue that.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

mdram4x4 wrote:

farocco53 wrote:

if you need/want it

because its an iphone

Thanks

Not EVERYONE that owns or chooses an iPhone does it just because it's an iPhone...it's really not that serious. For many (myself included) the iPhone better fit their real needs and wants. Speaking for myself, 4G is not a need or want that leads my purchase decision at this time so the device I ultimately chose did not have to have it. If the device I pick has it then that's cool...otherwise it really just didn't matter to me. I don't have a need for the fastest and latest of everything just because it's available...and I'm the type of person that ultimately look at my phone as a great way to do tasks while away from my computer but by no means expect it to replace my computer. I wasn't interested in a larger screen (perhaps I'm backwards on that but I know that if the next iPhone options get larger I am less likely to want to upgrade to it when eligible. I don't want to regress and go back to bigger and bulkier phones. The reality for me is that while I enjoy using my phone to watch videos and play games when I'm out and about I don't expect it to be my main source for viewing anything. Just as I have no intent to abandon my computer for my phone I don't plan to abandon my expensive flat panel tv for something that fits in my hand). I looked into the many Android devices out there for about a year while trying to decide what my next device would be. I considered sticking with BlackBerry through that whole time also...but wasn't thrilled with the devices made available in the last year and knew that the only one that caught my attention was a practical replica of the BB I already owned and wasn't exactly happy with. As far as the iPhone went...I had a slight interest in it but it wasn't strong enough to make me switch to AT&T for it nor was it something I was demanding VZW get for years. I only became slightly interested in it when I was given an iPod Touch as a gift. Prior to that I didn't have an interest in that product either (smaller capacity for more money seemed pointless to me when I felt I needed the space more than the dazzle lol), but I quickly came to enjoy my Touch. It also helped me overcome my resistance to a full touch screen only phone (prior to that I had no interest in being tied down to that type of device. I was fine with having a touch screen that also had a physical QWERTY and had owned a device like that prior to switching to BB). When the iPhone was announced for VZW I started researching all of my options again...looking closely at the Android devices and talking to people I know in the real world with Android phones (reading reviews is great but the opinions on any device by any brand will be skewed..."fanboys" exist for more than just iPhones lol and haters will flood reviews with negatives just because they can). The negatives I was told by friends far outweighed the positives for me despite many of those speaking to me can't imagine leaving the Android family despite the problems. Constant reboots remind me too much of BB issues (battery pulls)...battery life was too important to sacrifice for conveniences I personally wouldn't use enough to justify. And I admit it...the sheer number of Android devices constantly coming out from different brands and not being able to clearly find the best of the best (it was a battle between the Android devices and whose was the best when asking users. It's kind of like trying to figure out the best PC brand...they all may have the same OS and they all had the same core parts but you will easily find users that will sing praises of each brand...and  those that can bash them. This is a very loose theory so don't try to dissect it lol). I didn't have a high need to be able to customize my device (one of the pluses many always mentioned when talking to me about the Android devices versus an iPhone)...my wants in that area were simple. If I can use my own ringtones and I could change my wallpaper to a pic of my choice I was good. I don't use widgets on my computer to any high degree so I wasn't all that swayed by widgets on a phone. I don't mind clicking a few icons to get to what I want. Point is, I ultimately ruled out the Android devices as my next upgrade. I had already decided that I would be abandoning the BB family prior to the iPhone being announced IF I decided to upgrade. Prior to the iPhone announcement I had been sticking with my BB instead of using my eligible upgrade because I couldn't decide on an Android that I really wanted to commit to...at least with my BB I knew what to expect and I was a pro and "fixing" the issues lol.

As far as 3G being slower...for those that don't bother comparing speed tests with others and rely solely on how the device works for them...they may have chosen the 4s (or any other 3G device) because the speed worked for them. This is especially true depending on what device they came from in the first place. Some 3G devices are faster than others...so upgrading will not feel slow to them...in their eyes they may feel like they have a pretty fast device. Plus, you have to remember that despite all of these 4G devices coming out right not 4G isn't available everywhere yet...and there are many people that bought these devices but have yet to actually have access to the 4G network. Just like there are many people that get global capable devices but have never traveled outside of the country (or very far from their own state!). What you purchase is only a mistake if it doesn't meet YOUR needs and wants. Relying solely on what others tell you that you need will often get you a product that does more than you will ever use it for. It doesn't hurt you to have the extras but it doesn't really help you either if you don't or can't actually use them. It helps the manufacturer...and it helps the salesperson that has the task if pushing certain devices meet their qoutas.

But, I digress! lol. My advice is always get what YOU want for what YOU need because YOU have to use it.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

kaebfly wrote:

mdram4x4 wrote:

farocco53 wrote:

if you need/want it

because its an iphone

Thanks

snipped

i agree that not everyone buys an iphone because its an iphone, but i bet half the people do

0 Likes
farocco53
Enthusiast - Level 3

>>But, I digress! lol. My advice is always get what YOU want for what YOU need because YOU have to use it.<<

I agree and thanks for that long response. lol

The only think I found that could change was an audio alert for missed calls.

I already sent feedback to apple requesting this.

My overall experience with the IPhone so far has been good and I will keep it.

Mostly because I have some apps that are not on android.

Personal finance like Moneywell and Budget to name a few.

Regards 

0 Likes
gerelee
Enthusiast - Level 3

farocco53 wrote:

>>4g also eats your battery like a kid with a bag of halloween candy BUT, it can be turned off. for me, the 4g phones would lose ALL CONNECTIONS to the internet, fairly regularly, which my 3g phones just don't do .. so it was a rather easy decision.<<

I di not know this, this kind of make me feel better about the iPhone 4s.

Thanks

that doesn't mean it would happen to everyone but it did in my case  ... and you're welcome ... it's good to ask questions, that's how you learn :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2

Your absolutely right mdram4x4. A lot of people will purchase an iphone just because it`s an iphone. Most likely due to the fact that apple has a strong history of building solid performing products. What's the best selling music player on the market? Ipod. What's the best selling tablet? Ipad. What's the best selling phone? hmmm... Oh ya it`s an iphone. Why? My guess is brand loyalty. They`re mostly repeat customers who continue to believe that their dollars are best spent on a trusted product and not the uncertainty one gets with an android device. They offer a product thats designed to do what people want. It works.

Android is a crap shoot. Everyday I would wonder if my Motorola Droid X was going to crash, reboot, require a battery pull, Will this app cause a conflict or not. The list goes on. My experience comes from the Droid X and it really wasn't a pleasant one so I decided to give apple a try and I`m still glad I did. The worst part of android was waiting on fixes for issues usually created from their so called updates. At least with apple they still support their products that were released years ago. 

A solid piece of hardware. A solid OS. Apps that work. Hardware that works. Company support for years. That's something that`s currently unavailable from any android device.

0 Likes