Re: Verizon iPhone 4S SIM UNLOCK Tutorial
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, never heard of that.  I unlocked a blackberry a couple years ago and just had to use the Verizon/Vodafone sim that came with the phone. 

0 Likes
SGMD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

paulwpark wrote:

How do you use GSM only?  i looked all over the settings menus and didn't find such an option.

Go to Settings -> Carrier. For some reason the Carrier menu doesn't show up immediately. Give it a minute and the Carrier menu will show up underneath "Location Services". Then turn Automatic off and you'll be able to switch.

taz1127 wrote:
Do we need the foreign sim to unlock?

taz1127 wrote:
Was told I need the foreign sim to do the unlock

You don't need a foreign SIM for the unlock, but you do need one to confirm that it was successful.

0 Likes
gerelee
Enthusiast - Level 3

SGMD1 wrote:

paulwpark wrote:

How do you use GSM only?  i looked all over the settings menus and didn't find such an option.

Go to Settings -> Carrier. For some reason the Carrier menu doesn't show up immediately. Give it a minute and the Carrier menu will show up underneath "Location Services". Then turn Automatic off and you'll be able to switch.

taz1127 wrote:
Do we need the foreign sim to unlock?

taz1127 wrote:
Was told I need the foreign sim to do the unlock

You don't need a foreign SIM for the unlock, but you do need one to confirm that it was successful.

according to the global support rep that i talked to, that is correct ... she suggested picking one up at an airport or a travel agent as i don't have a foreign sim. sucks that it's still carrier locked .. i.e. it won't work with a t-mobile or at&t sim. i suppose if someone wants it to work with domestic sims you'd have to jailbreak and unlock it .. don't know if you'd get at&t 3g though.

0 Likes
climber20

After the phone is unlocked by Verizon, does it need to be connected to iTunes to activate the new SIM card, or does it activate automatically?  I've read some conflicting information about this, and it would suck to be on the other side of the earth with an unlocked phone, only to realize it won't activate until I sync with iTunes on my computer back home.

0 Likes
sringa
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a newbie question as I have never been on a GSM network and dont know what's the deal with SIM cards...

In the case of iPhone 4s, there is no physical slot to put these puppies, I understand. So if you unlock and get a foreign carrier's micro SIM lock (when you travel for example), how would you let you phone know about it? I have seen my GSM friends pop in the physical card in and out? How does it work in this case?

I also read posts that say that folks have tried it with European cards and it works...

appreciate any insights..

0 Likes
sringa
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a newbie question as I have never been on a GSM network and dont know what's the deal with SIM cards...

In the case of iPhone 4s, there is no physical slot to put these puppies, I understand. So if you unlock and get a foreign carrier's micro SIM lock (when you travel for example), how would you let you phone know about it? I have seen my GSM friends pop in the physical card in and out? How does it work in this case?

I also read posts that say that folks have tried it with European cards and it works...

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

sringa wrote:

For the iPhone 4, there is no physical slot and therefore you cannot have the phone unlocked for use on a GSM network internationally.

For the iPhone 4S, there is a physical slot.

0 Likes
sringa
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks, I found the physical slot...i AM an iPhone newbie :smileyhappy:

http://webtrickz.com/how-to-insert-sim-card-in-iphone-4/

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If you are using IE 9, you need to put your browser in "compatibility mode" to keep from making duplicate posts all the time. At least that is what I have seen others post.

0 Likes
RobertHerdt

Heey Im from Germany as an exchange student and Im going to stay here for about 9.5 months now. I want to buy the iPhone 4s and I wanted to ask if I buy it in a week and then be a verizon costumer and after 60 days I let it unlock, will I be able to use it after 10 month in Germany? I mean will it stay unlocked for ever? Or just for 10 months?

0 Likes