Using the iPhone in France
hissed-off

My phone will not pick up a carrier in free.  I never had this problem with t-Mobil,  I turned the phone on when I landed and I got service.  I called tech support 2 times before I left, paid for the international calling and asked if I needed to do anything special, they assured me no.  They are untrained and ignorant, the service does not work here.  I have been sending emails every day with no response, I refuse to spend 30-45 minutes in votive mail hell waiting to talk to a representative who will tell me to dial *228 option 2 to find a tower. 

Terrible customer service!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using the iPhone in France
mdp90069

Hi there Hissed - Off.  Desole' de votre decu en France...as they would say, or "yes, you got screwed" in plain American.  The first question is:  is your iPhone a global roaming model?  I can't remember from when I got mine which models are tri-mode (what they used to call it); some are and some aren't, and if you don't have GSM built in, you can't get service in Europe.  It's a completely different sysytem that they, and much of the world, uses.  Some U.S. carriers built up their networks using a different technology which is also used in Canada & Mexico--TDMA which is now updated and called CDMA,.  T-mobile, which used to be owned by European company Deutsche Telekom, has always been GSM and so has AT&T.  I have used T-mobile global roaming and it was great.

If you can check and confirm that your phone has GSM (or "EDGE" which is the new, updated GSM, apparently) capability, then there can be problems with Settings that Apple has a troubleshoot page on:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1807

I would read that page carefully; be careful what you wish for with out-of-U.S roaming:  get Verizon to detail, in GREAT detail, what the charges are; if the roaming is the same everywhere (I.E. good for certain carriers, and much more costly if you roam outside some partners network),;and be very careful about text message costs and DATA which they can really cream you with (in Mexico, if you have no roaming plan at a fixed monthly cost, they charge $5.12 per MB and it isn't all that hard to get up to 100MB if you send a bunch of pictures back home).  See my post about getting completely twisted up with them just to go Mexico, which uses the same CDMA technology.  You can turn off or control email in your Settings, and only email when you are on WiFi for no cost, but beware switching to roaming without your noticing!  If the WiFi is weak signal or drops out, your phone will automatically start roaming and the data charges will start piling up.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hissed-off, I know it must be frustrating to not have service while traveling in France. I've been to Paris & Cannes myself and know firsthand that the iPhone 4S will work in France. First, make sure your voice and data roaming are turned on in Settings, Cellular, Roaming. Reset by pressing and holding the Lock button & Home buttons for about 10 seconds until the Apple appears. If still no change, please send me a private message with your mobile number and which city you're located in. Also, let me know your SIM card number which can be found in Settings, General, About under ICCID. I'll need to review your account to make sure the SIM card is activated properly. I'm following you, just respond to my request. You can also contact our global technical support directly at 908-559-4899.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ypatylabs

Hey There,

My girlfriend is in London right now. She called and activated International roaming and is getting this no service issues everyone else is having.  I have her SIM number to troubleshoot.

Can you please assist?

Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ypatylabs, We want to make sure we can do everything we can to help out with phone service while traveling outside the United States. What kind of phone is your girlfriend using over in London? How long has she been in London for? I want to look further into this is for you so this way you have communication with your girlfriend while she is over seas. I followed you, could you please follow me back this way you can send me a direct message so we can look further into the account.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ypatylabs

This is her third trip to Europe and she still has the same problem. Shes using an iPhone 4s. Please see attached image for her ICCID card number.

Chris

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
ypatylabs

Hello? All three people in out party are now in Paris with Verizon international plans. None of them have service. They are all cut off from communication unless on wifi.

I am now flying to join them and thank god I have AT&T. ( never thought I would say THAT!!! Lmao!!)

Please help, respond, something.

I sent a screen shot of her ICCID number etc. in an email replay to your message.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

- You'll need to send a Follow request (located in the upper right-hand corner of their profile page) to that they'll have to approve.  They likewise will need to send you a Follow request that you'll have to approve.  Once you both are Following each other, then you can send them a Direct Message.

Keep in mind that this is primarily a peer-to-peer forum.  You might receive quicker service if your girlfriend contacted Global Support using their calling card info.:

International Support - Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
ypatylabs

Shoot. I'm on mobile now and that follow link isn't in the mobile site. Ill have to try something else.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want to leave your friends without reliable communication for their trip, ypatylabs. Our Global Team would be best suited to find out what's causing this trouble immediately. Visit http://vz.to/18oaptS for the access number to call from France or any other country toll-free from another line there. I do hope you all have a safe and fantastic trip.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes