Using a Verizon iPhone 4S in Australia?
Tinen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several sources, including Verizon's own International FAQ page, say that the iPhone 4S, Apple's first "world" phone (with CDMA and GSM 900/1800 capability) can work in Australia.  So, we went to a local Verizon store...who told us it WOULDN'T work in Australia, and we'd "have to upgrade".

When we went to Mexico we tried to buy an International plan the night before we left, but it turned out we had to go to a Verizon store to get a SIM card first.  We didn't have time to do that, and wound up buying a SIM card from Telcel there, basically making it a Mexican iPhone.  But we couldn't receive calls from our U.S. number.

What's the truth?  Has anyone been able to take their iPhone 4S to Australia and have their American Verizon number work there?  (I've seen a few reports that buying a SIM card there works, like we did in Mexico.)

If we have to buy an Australian SIM card, can we get it before we go?  Or do we have to get it in the country?  What carrier should we use?

Thank you for any reliable information.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Using a Verizon iPhone 4S in Australia?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tinen, I apologize for any miscommunication that's been given regarding the iPhone 4s and its ability to work in another country. The iPhone 4s was in fact the first global ready iPhone. As long as there's an active Verizon SIM card in the device, you're able to use any international plan that is compatible with your account. The device is able to work with international SIM cards as well, but your voice and data roaming will need to enabled and international CDMA disabled take advantage of the full features of the foreign SIM. You can find the steps to access the roaming settings here: http://spr.ly/658589cI7  Please let us know if you have any other questions as it's important to us that this is one less thing you have to worry about when traveling.

La'SindaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Using a Verizon iPhone 4S in Australia?
Tinen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, technically that makes sense but I'd still like to hear from a member of the community who's actually gone to Australia and used an iPhone 4S.  When we went to Mexico, I spent about an hour with Support on the phone trying to find out why I couldn't sign up for a plan; Support had to go to a supervisor for the real answer.  It turned out I had to go to a Verizon store and get a special, free, SIM card in that case.  I didn't have time to do so and this led to a real hassle at the airport in Mexico where the people we were meeting couldn't call us. 

0 Likes