Upgrade from basic phone to iPhone 5
imaborda

I would like to upgrade from my basic phone to an iPhone 5. But I still have 9 moths left. So I'm wondering since I am wanting to pay more for the plan and stuff that they would let me upgrade without paying a termination fee. I have a lg extravert that I have already gotten replaced cause it wouldn't receive messages and now the replacement that they sent me doesn't work either. Thank

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade from basic phone to iPhone 5
Not applicable

If you want a a new phone before your upgrade date you have to pay full price for it. And you just can't cancel you account and start a new one to get a discounted phone even if you could get away with not pay the ETF, which you would have to. There would be a 50 days waiting period before you could start account. And you might even have to pay a security deposit.

rcschnoor
Legend

Here is what I would suggest if you are not worried about keeping your current number.

The LG extravert is a feature/basic phone so your ETF would be $175 less $5 for each month of your contract you have completed.($175 - $5 * 15 months = $100.)

You can add a new line to your account to get the iPhone 5 at the discounted rate. Since you are a current customer, you should be able to add it with either a tiered data plan starting at $30/month for 2 GB or go on the Share Everything plan. After you have added the line you could cancel your old line and pay the $100 ETF for that line. You would now have an individual plan with an iPhone 5 at a total cost of just $100 above the subsidized price of the phone. Plus the activation fee for the new line of service, of course.

If you really wanted to keep your current number, you could do so, however it would add a little bit of cost to the equation. After your new iPhone is activated, you can port your old number to Google Voice(for a $20 fee to Google Voice). You can then just use the Google Voice number on your iPhone or you could port the number back onto your Verizon line, however there may be another $20 fee to do so, I'm not sure about that.

Drucatic

Good to know, thank you.

0 Likes
Drucatic

More good information. I wish I could get this kind of information at the store level from sales staff and from phone customer service representatives, including a phone customer service representative supervisor.

Thank you!!!

0 Likes