Unlocking iPhone 4S While Abroad?
pniall

Hello!

From these forums, I understand it is possible to unlock the iPhone 4S for international usage of a foreign SIM card. Currently, I am in Singapore for the next six weeks and I did not unlock the phone before I left.

I want to unlock the phone, but I think it needs to be on a cellular network for this to be done. Singapore only uses GSM, so I would not be able to pick up any cellular service whatsoever. I do have access to WiFi, therefore I can make voice calls... but I'm guessing this is not enough to unlock the phone. Am I correct in assuming this?

Thank you for your time.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocking iPhone 4S While Abroad?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there pniall,

Greetings from the United States. I hope you are having a wonderful time while travelling in Singapore.

You can unlock your iPhone 4s for international use if you meet the following qualifications:

-Must be a current VZW customer. VZW only unlocks devices for VZW customers.
-The device being unlocked must be active on a VZW line of service.
-The line of service must be active for at least 60 days.
-The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
  Note: Good standing is defined as:
  • Balance must be current.
  • No service suspensions or hotlines in the past 60 days.
-Customer may only have one 3G SIM unlock per line every 10 months.

If you meet these qualifications, please reach out to our global support team at 800-711-8300 and they'd be able to better assist.

Safe travels!

Nicholas_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
socencounter

Hi There

I have a Verizon iPhone 4S which is on Verizon PREPAID with clean ESN and is activated on my prepaid line. However they tell me prepaid phones can be unlocked for overseas use (on foreign GSM networks) only after 6 months of use. Could you please check if IMEI is blacklisted or as to why the delay in processing?

Is it possible to unlock this phone?

Thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They who? VZW Global Support? Prepaid customer service?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I know that is the rule for postpaid.

0 Likes
socencounter

Yes, VZW global support! Please help! I have a very expensive iPod right now !

0 Likes
socencounter

For postpaid its 60 days! Any idea about prepaid?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us socencounter. I checked and it looks like prepaid phones are not eligible to have the SIM card unlocked. The 6 month requirement you are referring to is when a prepay phone can be switched to a postpaid account. I apologize for any inconvenience.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
socencounter

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure that Verizon global support suggested to go postpaid and there is no 6 month delay to qualify for postpaid migration. Is there any other way I could get the iPhone 4S unlocked through Verizon/Apple? It has clean ESN and everything! May be I could pull it off my account and ask someone to hook it up their postpaid line and then get it unlocked that way since it wont be on prepaid anymore! Comments?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

socencounter,

Thank you for getting back to us. We certainly want to review all options available. The 6 month rule applies to time active on a post paid account. Since the phone is currently active on pre-paid it would not meet that qualification. It would first need to be active on a postpaid account for 6 months before it can be eligible for a sim unlock. You can speak with the global team to get the complete list of qualifications as well http://bit.ly/xZd3pS. Please let us know if you have any other questions we can assist with.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes